Game of Thrones

Quentin Taranbino

On 30/04/2019 at 09:05, RandomGuy. said:

I think the plan of somehow running up behind the Night King, when hes surrounded by White Walkers and the dead, is laughably weak.

It just felt like they painted themselves into such a corner of having everyone look utterly fucked, then absolutely bottled it and thought up the cheapest gimmick get out they could think of.

I assumed she was hiding up a tree ninja style not that she just ran up behind him.  She could have been hiding there for a while waiting  It was demonstrated earlier in the episode that she could sneak around undetected by the whitewalkers/wights so makes sense if they didn't detect her. 

2 hours ago, Eric said:

I assumed she was hiding up a tree ninja style not that she just ran up behind him.  She could have been hiding there for a while waiting  It was demonstrated earlier in the episode that she could sneak around undetected by the whitewalkers/wights so makes sense if they didn't detect her. 

Maybe she was wearing a zombie mask and standing in the crowd.

57 minutes ago, Guts said:

Could be, that didn't cross my mind I just assumed she jumped out of the tree as she appeared to come from above and Bran was sitting right under the tree.  Hopefully we find out a bit more in the next episode.

11 hours ago, Swarley said:
12 hours ago, Grant228 said:
Not sure if it's relevant... 

But in the trailer for next week Cersei says about tearing them out root and stem. 

When Arya had old Walder Freys face on and was poisoning them all she said the exact same phrase, might be that its a really popular phrase, might be something. 

Buzzing. 

Will need to rewatch, but on first viewing I assumed it was Dany that said that?

5 hours ago, paul-r-cfc said:
11 hours ago, Swarley said:
Will need to rewatch, but on first viewing I assumed it was Dany that said that?

It definitely was. Don't think we heard Cersei speak at all in the trailer.

Ave fucked it. 

To go back on it then, Danny said the exact same thing as Arya, most likely a coincidence... 

1 hour ago, Guts said:

Someone actually said that to me at lunchtime, implying the one which turned a bit was Arya in disguise. I pointed out that when a WW is killed they shatter, so getting the face would have been difficult.

33 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

Someone actually said that to me at lunchtime, implying the one which turned a bit was Arya in disguise. I pointed out that when a WW is killed they shatter, so getting the face would have been difficult.

I've seen a few people say this.  I find it hard to believe anyone that watched the same episode as me didn't come to the obvious conclusion that the breath of air and the WW turning slightly was in response to Arya ghosting past him in her faceless man ninja style?

I've gotta say the most ridiculous thing of all the ridiculous things in this TV programme is Arya being able to metamorphose into completely different people simply by cutting off their faces. I understand that it has been established and built up in the programme so isn't technically as plot holey however it would be far worse than her sneaking past a few baddies undetected, at least from a realism/willing suspension of disbelief POV. 

I have chosen to largely ignore the fact that cutting of Walder Frey's face allows her to look exactly like Walder Frey, not only facially but in every regard like I am largely ignoring that a claimant for the throne was killed by a shadow baby assassin. 

Edited by The OP

I've gotta say the most ridiculous thing of all the ridiculous things in this TV programme is Arya being able to metamorphose into completely different people simply by cutting off their faces. I understand that it has been established and built up in the programme so isn't technically as plot holey however it would be far worse than her sneaking past a few baddies undetected, at least from a realism/willing suspension of disbelief POV. 
I have chosen to largely ignore the fact that cutting of Walder Frey's face allows her to look exactly like Walder Frey, not only facially but in every regard like I am largely ignoring that a claimant for the throne was killed by a shadow baby assassin. 
It's not based on a true story you know [emoji6]

42 minutes ago, ftk said:

It's not based on a true story you know emoji6.png

Aye but even within a fantasy setting the Faceless Men and shadow baby stuff is far too convenient and makes little sense. 

1 hour ago, The OP said:

weirdly I don't mind that it can be done (in a "it's magic, we don't have to explain shit" way) - the problem to me is that there doesn't really seem to be any limitation or drawback to it, certainly not in the same way that it was established that the Red Priest can bring folk back to life but each time it's done takes a huge toll on the person being brought back .Beric in the book says something like "Seven times is too much" when Catelyn gets brought back, I think. That admittedly was a book plot convention and I can't mind if it was established in the show, but it at least puts some sort of limitation on what is an incredibly powerful ability to have. There's none of that with Arya's ability - pretty much any problem that the "good guys" face will be able to be solved by her single handedly since she seems much unstoppable in single combat and is almost like a superhero in terms of how powerful she is.

Maybe the Faceless Men are going to come after Arya in the future though, idk.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

58 minutes ago, ftk said:

It's not based on a true story you know emoji6.png

A million times this.

It's a story about an undead army marching south and fighting against an army that includes dragons and a Priestess that can set fire to swords.  I think it's ok to stretch what can and can't happen somewhat for the purposes of the story.

9 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Maybe Arya is doing exactly what the Faceless Men want.

Nobody on Essos gives a shit about the shan undead overrunning Westeros or even who takes over the Iron Throne - and no wonder. Other than paying off some Dothraki now and then they've got a pretty sweet deal over there: even the weather looks better. Westeros is really just a self-absorbed shitehole, the Brexit Britain of this mythical world. 

19 minutes ago, Fide said:

A million times this.

It's a story about an undead army marching south and fighting against an army that includes dragons and a Priestess that can set fire to swords.  I think it's ok to stretch what can and can't happen somewhat for the purposes of the story.

Pish. The people involved are still human. If next week it turns out Cersei can create a forcefield which protects her from dragonfire with no prior explanation most people would be slightly miffed - particularly the large section who don't particularly like fantasy but like Game of Thrones.  Even in a fantasy setting there needs to be some internal logic or explanation. Fair enough if they say 'that's magic what they have learned and she got taught' but it seems to me they want us to believe that wearing someone's face makes you look and talk exactly like that person. The other complaint (the shadow baby) is a complaint because it seems like it was such a blatant one off ass-pull to resolve a problem. 

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Asspull

weirdly I don't mind that it can be done (in a "it's magic, we don't have to explain shit" way) - the problem to me is that there doesn't really seem to be any limitation or drawback to it, certainly not in the same way that it was established that the Red Priest can bring folk back to life but each time it's done takes a huge toll on the person being brought back .Beric in the book says something like "Seven times is too much" when Catelyn gets brought back, I think. That admittedly was a book plot convention and I can't mind if it was established in the show, but it at least puts some sort of limitation on what is an incredibly powerful ability to have. There's none of that with Arya's ability - pretty much any problem that the "good guys" face will be able to be solved by her single handedly since she seems much unstoppable in single combat and is almost like a superhero in terms of how powerful she is.
Maybe the Faceless Men are going to come after Arya in the future though, idk.

In terms of the Red Priests being able to revive dead folk I always assumed they were only able to do so if that person still had a purpose. For instance Beric was constantly brought back to be able to save Arya. Although it seems Jons purpose wasn’t to kill the NK but perhaps to sit on the Iron Throne at the end of it all.

Given the training Arya has had I think it’s safe to assume she’s the deadliest person left on the show. She was taught in season one to move silently so it’s not a big stretch for her to have waited up a tree or in the background for her moment to strike.

The Red Priests can't bring people back. Thoros himself said they possess no such power.

It's the Lord of Light who does it through the Red Priests. As pointed out above, it will only work if the Lord of Light deems that there's still a purpose for that person.

As for the stuff about being revived fucking you up, Beric does say that after Thoros brings him back from getting his totties from the Hound. Jon mentions something as well after he's brought back.