Doctor Who

yoda

Depends what you are looking for,

personally for one story for each Doctor I'd go with, (bearing in mind that not everything is available on DVD and in the case of 100+ eps from the 60's only exist as audio)

- The War Machines

- The Mind Robber

- Carnival of Monsters

- City of Death

- Earthshock

- Mark of the Rani

- The Curse of Fenric

People will come up with different lists dependent on what they like, I'd take The Seeds of Death over The Invasion or The Androids of Tara over anything from Hinchcliffe but people would tell you that I'm insane for doing so.

personally for one story for each Doctor I'd go with, (bearing in mind that not everything is available on DVD and in the case of 100+ eps from the 60's only exist as audio)

- The War Machines

- The Mind Robber

- Carnival of Monsters

- City of Death

- Earthshock

- Mark of the Rani

- The Curse of Fenric

People will come up with different lists dependent on what they like, I'd take The Seeds of Death over The Invasion or The Androids of Tara over anything from Hinchcliffe but people would tell you that I'm insane for doing so.

Just looking for good ones to start watching really, I would have watched it as a kid from some of Tom Baker's time up to McCoy. Have never taken the time to go back and rediscover it.

Just reading about Earthshock, I remember vaguely the last appearance of Adric and being pretty heartbroken at the time!! Looking at the dates I would have been 5 years old, but while I don't remember the detail, that character and his death have stuck in my mind.

- The War Machines

- The Mind Robber

- Carnival of Monsters

- City of Death

- Earthshock

- Mark of the Rani

- The Curse of Fenric

That's a reasonable list, for the earlier doctors anyway. The Mind Robber is a particular favourite, not least because Troughton is my favourite doctor. Unfortunately a lot of his series are now incomplete or lost altogether, but The Tomb of the Cybermen is another good one we still have.

Watch something from the Tom Baker / Sarah Jane era too - The Brain of Morbius, maybe, though pretty much anything from that era is worth watching;

Inferno is another classic, maintains the tension well over seven episodes (even though Pertwee is my least favourite doc and Liz one of the least successful assistants - she does, however, look curiously hot in this one while dressed up as a Nazi);

I rather liked Castrovalva, from the Davison era, though Caves of Androzani is usually quoted as his classic;

of the later stuff, The Greatest Show in the Galaxy is one that I liked, though it's probably worth warning you that no one else did.

Indeed, not a patch on Destiny or Resurrection.

Oooft. Destiny? One of the top 5 worst Tom Baker stories if you ask me. Stupid sounding Daleks who have become 'Davros Minions', a boring storyline and a fair amount of terrible acting.

Resurrection is good though.

I disagree.

Fair enough. To some people, Genesis is the best story of all time or thereabouts. In my (shill alert) review runthrough of Dr Who, I'm up to the Seeds of Doom, and including that story, there are already 5 stories in the Baker era I prefer to it.

I would put Jon Pertwee story The Daemons and Tom Baker story The Pyramids of Mars on any Who DVD list as well as my personal favourite City of Death another Baker story brilliant written by Douglas Adams of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy fame.

Also looking forward to the forthcoming release of Ambassadors of Death - another top Pertwee/UNIT storybiggrin.gif

Thanks guys for the suggestions - I will probably pick a couple of them. From my own browsing, Genesis did seem to be held up there as one of the best.

I own The Five Doctors which I got a couple of years ago as I remembered loving it as a kid.

The Tomb of the Cybermen

I remember reading the novelization of this one when I was a youngster - I think I'm quite likely to get it as I remember loving that. I think the Cybermen were my favourite baddies as a kid.

Thanks guys for the suggestions - I will probably pick a couple of them. From my own browsing, Genesis did seem to be held up there as one of the best.

I own The Five Doctors which I got a couple of years ago as I remembered loving it as a kid.

I have a couple of spares lying around.

Patrick Troughtons "The Seeds of Death"

John Pertwee "Spearhead from Space" - his first story

You're more than welcome to them if you wish.

Also looking forward to the forthcoming release of Ambassadors of Death - another top Pertwee/UNIT storybiggrin.gif

Call yourself a fan, its Ambassadors *TWANG* of Death :P

I'm trying to watch everything so that I reach the 50th anniversary episode next year after having seen the whole lot and I've just finished the Troughton era. Loved the Hartnell years, especially Season 3, and whilst I enjoy Troughton and Hines I do find that Ben, Polly and Victoria are dreadful characters who are poorly acted and once Bryant and Sherwin get their hands on the show in Season 6 the quality plaunges over the edge of a cliff with only The Mind Robber standing up as stories like The War Games and The Invasion overstay their welcome by episode after episode after episode after episode.

The Mind Robber should of course be on everyones to watch list just for the shot of the console at the end of episode 1. ;)

I have a couple of spares lying around.

Patrick Troughtons "The Seeds of Death"

John Pertwee "Spearhead from Space" - his first story

You're more than welcome to them if you wish.

Watched Seeds a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it far more as an episodic adventure rather than the the 145 minute movie vesion I was used to. Still not classic Who but a very enjoyable romp.

I'm having a couple of weeks off before I start on Pertwee, mainly so I can fit in the colour version of Ambassadors *TWANG* of Death and also because rather oddly I find that the Sherwin/Bryant set up Season 7 to be my favourite of the entire run.

Call yourself a fan, its Ambassadors *TWANG* of Death :P

I'm trying to watch everything so that I reach the 50th anniversary episode next year after having seen the whole lot and I've just finished the Troughton era. Loved the Hartnell years, especially Season 3, and whilst I enjoy Troughton and Hines I do find that Ben, Polly and Victoria are dreadful characters who are poorly acted and once Bryant and Sherwin get their hands on the show in Season 6 the quality plaunges over the edge of a cliff with only The Mind Robber standing up as stories like The War Games and The Invasion overstay their welcome by episode after episode after episode after episode.

I liked both The Invasion and The War Games, though I'd agree both were stretched over more episodes than they probably should have been. The Dominators and The Krotons were both pretty shit from the same series though.

As far as the acting goes, it should be noted that most of the early stuff was done in single takes in more or less real time, they didn't have the luxury of current production standards where they can take three weeks to film an episode. (With that caveat, I didn't think Victoria was that bad, anyhow.)

The Mind Robber should of course be on everyones to watch list just for the shot of the console at the end of episode 1. ;)

Ah, yes. "Emma Peel as jailbait", as somebody described Zoe to me one time. Bit harsh, I thought.

Definitely agree with the shouts for The Mind Robber. Troughton's just on fire throughout it and the cliffhanger to episode 1 is just brilliant whether your paying attention to the story or just staring at Wendy Padbury's arse.

There's a few Doctor Who DVDs that I haven't seen mentioned yet that I'd reccommend as well. Planet of Evil is worth a look. Tom Baker isn't arsing around by that point and Lis Sladen is on top form too. Best part is they make a really convincing alien planet set. I can't think off the top of my head if they ever made another alien planet look as good as the one in this story. Even now in the new series I don't think there is as one as good as this.

Kinda & Snakedance are well worth a watch too. Very different kind of stories but they've got a tonne of ideas in them and the monster at the end of Kinda is one of those old school monsters you have to see as a DW fan.

Oh and imo: Genesis of the Daleks > Revelation > Remembrance > Ressurection > Destiny

Also last nights episode was pretty good. Naff final line but Mark Williams was good fun, shame they've only brought his character in this series, would like to see more of him as Rory's dad.

There was a lot to like about last night's episode, right up to the point where they tried and failed to think of a resolution to the plot, and just got the doctor to wave his sonic screwdriver around instead.

All very anticlimactic for the reason Yoss gives, but a lot of character development there. Anyone see any flickering lights this episode? All the others had them but I never noticed any here...

Where were the flickering lights in the other episodes? Agree about the sonic screwdriver solution being a disappointment though.