Doctor Who

yoda

I really enjoyed the Indian Partition episode. Yesterday's Amazon one was alright.

There is much hate online for this series, and I don;t get it. Of course it could be better - name me one show that couldn't. And we have yet to have a "Blink" style episode that is actually scary. But my kids and I enjoy this series a lot - the Rosa Parks episode was excellent.

Best thing about it though is surely Bradley Walsh.

I've mostly enjoyed it, but while I always get the DVDs as a completist, I'm only really looking forward to watching the first and the Rosa Parks episodes again. 

Sometimes I surprise myself and enjoy an episode more on a rewatch so hopefully that will happen with some of the others. 

I really enjoyed the Indian Partition episode. Yesterday's Amazon one was alright.
There is much hate online for this series, and I don;t get it. Of course it could be better - name me one show that couldn't. And we have yet to have a "Blink" style episode that is actually scary. But my kids and I enjoy this series a lot - the Rosa Parks episode was excellent.
Best thing about it though is surely Bradley Walsh.

Do you not think that they maybe missed a trick by not making Bradley Walsh the new Doctor???

I was briefly confused when Lee Mack appeared and started talking to the robot, because I always get him and Bradley Walsh confused. "Graham has only just arrived, how come he knows the robot already?" Then I realised it was the other one! May be the first time I've seen them both in the same programme.

A nice point I hadn't fully appreciated whilst watching the episode. When they arrive the computer analyses each of them (body, fitness etc) and the system decides what department to send them to. Before the Doctor made the switch with Graham, so she could go and inspect the packing slips, the system had tried to send her to maintenance where the danger (Charlie) was.

15 hours ago, King Kebab said:

Do you not think that they maybe missed a trick by not making Bradley Walsh the new Doctor???

I’ve read that point a few times but don’t quite buy it. Bradley Walsh has reminded people he can act, and he really is the best thing in this series, but just because he makes a good companion doesn’t mean he’d have made a good Doctor. I’m happy to just enjoy him as a companion, though it’s a shame having so many limits his screen time and individual storylines.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

A nice point I hadn't fully appreciated whilst watching the episode. When they arrive the computer analyses each of them (body, fitness etc) and the system decides what department to send them to. Before the Doctor made the switch with Graham, so she could go and inspect the packing slips, the system had tried to send her to maintenance where the danger (Charlie) was.

I’ve read that point a few times but don’t quite buy it. Bradley Walsh has reminded people he can act, and he really is the best thing in this series, but just because he makes a good companion doesn’t mean he’d have made a good Doctor. I’m happy to just enjoy him as a companion, though it’s a shame having so many limits his screen time and individual storylines.

Got to disagree, as you said it's reminded people he can act and I think he might have made a decent fist of it!!!

But as for the "too many companions" debate, I think it's Yaz who is suffering the most, there's been plenty of story development between Graham and Ryan, what with Ryan's Father issues and Graham losing his wife, even the one set in Pakistan, there was very little time given to Yaz and her story it was all about her unknown Grandad!!!

Another ok episode.  Nothing I can say I hated or loved about it.

The longer it goes on though it's becoming more apparent that the boy that plays Ryan is as wooden as f**k. 

ETA: and I agree, again, that Bradley Walsh is by some distance the best thing about this series. 

Edited by KnightswoodBear

10 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

The longer it goes on though it's becoming more apparent that the boy that plays Ryan is as wooden as f**k. 

Maybe that's deliberate. Isn't he supposed to have Asperger's or something?

1 minute ago, GordonD said:

He's got a "co-ordination problem" has he not?  It seems to only be brought up when it suits them though.

I'm beginning to feel that they've made a mistake this series not putting The Doctor up against one of the classic baddies, I feel that she needs something to really cement her in the role.  The "oops i'm still getting used to stuff" schtick has outstayed it's welcome.  I can't remember any previous Doctors taking so long to get into their own groove.

4 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Dyspraxia, which they had seemingly forgotten about for a few episodes until Saturday.

He's either playing a dull character very well or an interesting character badly. Either way it hasn't made for good watching so far, barring a couple of conversations with Graham.

Rumours abound that Chibnell is chucking it after Season 12 (the next series) and that Jodie Whitaker will be leaving at the same time!!!

I think it's no secret that he has found it a more difficult job than he expected, hence no Christmas Special this year because "he can't think of anything new to do for a story" but the Whitaker rumours would be disappointing after all the hoo-haa of her getting the role in the first place, just to chuck it after two years!!!

1 hour ago, King Kebab said:

Rumours abound that Chibnell is chucking it after Season 12 (the next series) and that Jodie Whitaker will be leaving at the same time!!!

I think it's no secret that he has found it a more difficult job than he expected, hence no Christmas Special this year because "he can't think of anything new to do for a story" but the Whitaker rumours would be disappointing after all the hoo-haa of her getting the role in the first place, just to chuck it after two years!!!

He doesn't need to think of something new, he's missing the point.

Get some daleks or cybermen for some extermination and explosions. The two shite assistants get killed, everybody's happy.

The Daleks and Cybermen are a good point, everybody was quite happy at the prospect of not having them this series, time to give them a rest we all thought. Perhaps it's indicative of this Series' apparent turgidness that we're suggesting that they come back just to liven it up!!!

Enjoyed that. Basically the historical episodes have all been decent. Not so keen on the spacey ones thus far. 

I've actually found that the ones that Chibnell HASN'T written have actually been the best ones, worryingly enough!!!