Doctor Who

yoda

As an occasional watcher my problem with Doctor Who is that it so often slides into a panto tone with constant knowing winks to the audience and hamming it up.

Watching that episode tonight I thought there were some great ideas in there e.g. that a picture may contain a frozen world, but there was too much silliness to establish any proper dramatic tension.

I suppose that is a bit harsh given that it's a kids show, but I still don't think that's an excuse for overdoing the comedic at the expense of the dramatic.

Maybe Capaldi will help - should be miles better than Matt Smith who was shown up by Hurt and Tennant.

Confidemus, on 24 Nov 2013 - 08:40, said:

On the whole, I enjoyed it. Loved the cameo by Tom Baker (I actually did a little shriek when he appeared), and thought the interaction between Smith, Tennant and Hurt was excellently done, particularly Hurt's reaction to "Timey Wimey".

There were little niggles though. I thought the actress who played Queen Elizabeth was utterly dreadful. I mean really bad.

It'll be interesting to see how this changes the Doctor in future episodes. For me, part of his make up, part of the texture that made him what he is and the kind of guy aliens shouldn't f**k with, is the darkness he always had in him, which I always felt he had as a result of his role in the Time War.

Are we going to get a more relaxed, happy Doctor from now on? I hope not.

A happy, relaxed Peter Capaldi? Not going to happen.

I thought the episode highlighted just how good we had it with Tennant as the Doctor, he totally outperformed Matt Smith in my view, but as you'd expect, John Hurt was simply wonderful. He made me readily accept his place as one of the Doctor's past regenerations which I don't think many actors could do!

Looking forward to Capaldi now!

I really enjoyed it. I stopped taking Doctor Who seriously many years ago so I just watch it occasionally as light entertainment. FWIW I thought it flowed well and Tennant confirmed his place as my favourite Doctor.

Gutted this guy didn't want to do it though

Edited by Chupacabra

xbl, on 24 Nov 2013 - 13:34, said:

On another note, I remember being in the minority on here by saying I preferred tennant to smith. Well we saw them together last night. Any converts?

I stopped watching whilst Smith was the Doctor, for the first time, some of the episodes felt really childlike rather than a show suitable for everyone in the family. Ecclestone is my favourite since the new series started.

I stopped watching whilst Smith was the Doctor, for the first time, some of the episodes felt really childlike rather than a show suitable for everyone in the family. Ecclestone is my favourite since the new series started.

Until this series, I was watching out of duty. The last series has been outstanding in my view though. Almost makes up for the 2 and a half series of mostly dross before that.

I stopped watching Dr Who when Smith took over. Simply not a fan as it seemed very childlike and Smiths characteristics and boyish nature actually annoyed me slightly. However, I loved last nights episode. All three worked well wonderfully. Very much looking forward to the Capaldi era kicking off!

It would be immense if they had a spin off series (even if it's just one) featuring Hurt as the 'War Doctor' detailing shit up until the start of last night's escapades.

Only if they done it Torchwood style, for adults and don't mind showing a bit of violence

Loads of other nods to the past scattered throughout the show that I picked up when watching it for the second time today - In the Undergallery you can see a pair of Magnetic Clamps as used by David Tennant and Billie Piper in The Army of Ghosts / Doomsday two parter - also saw River Song's red heels on a shelf and a Sontaran gun as well. We also got ten and eleven using Pertwee's Reverse the polarity......

Thought the story was slow to get started and wonder whether a load of Zygons have just been left with a nuclear warhead under London but thought The Time War scenes were fantastic ( as the absent Mr Eccleston might say ) and John Hurt was immense - loved his "For God's Sake!" Phrase as well. The bit with all the Doctors and their Tardises was fab and it was a nice surprise to see Capaldi in there - also loved the music and titles at the end

On the negative side thought Joanna Page was a bit annoying as QE1 and although I loved the idea behind the last shot of all the docs thought it looked a bit naff - the Eccleston "lookalike" was awful and did they really use the Tom Baker waxwork from Madame Tussaud's ?? - minor quibbles though

Now as for the car crash that was the after show party on BBC3 - Jesus that was awful - thought Noël Clarke was going to lamp that presenter at one point - but then again any chance to see Nicola Bryant again is always welcome :)

Would also recommend anyone that hasn't seen it to watch Messrs Davison , C Baker and McCoy in the Davison scripted and directed Five(ish) Doctors Reboot - which was on the BBC Red Button - absolutely hilarious - and fair play to Steven Moffat and Russell T Davies for not taking themselves too seriously - well worth watching !!!

The BBC have also updated the picture below to now include The War Doctor

post-14714-13853125226931_thumb.jpg

On another note, I remember being in the minority on here by saying I preferred tennant to smith. Well we saw them together last night. Any converts?

Tennant will always be better than Smith IMO. Smith is good but I don't think he's as good as Tennant

Was really happy with it. To use a wrestling turn of phrase I totally marked out towards the end when it showed all 12, no, 13 doctors.

Anyway really really good, shame matt smiths best episode needed hurt and tenant to make it.

The five(ish) doctors was good fun. The after party was awful, any one care to explain what one direction had to do with anything. And why the producers couldn't get them to turn the telly down.

Watched it 3 times now...and keep getting little tingles.

I both enjoyed it and hated it a little. I feel it's made the RTD era basically not worth watching anymore which really pisses me off as that's the era that brought me into the show and I love it. The idea of the Doctor being the last of his kind and having to shoulder the responsibility for destroying his people and a lot more is a huge part of that and we all now know that isn't the case even if the Doctor has forgotten about it.

I hate that as much as Steven Moffat is bringing these great changes, the BBC, the public and the show aren't going to change official listing of the Doctors (i.e. Tennant will still get called the 10th Doctor and Smith the 11th.)

I dislike what this story set out to do so I'm never going to truly love it, but in all honesty if we had to get this story, I don't think they could have done it any better than how they did it which is kind of a compliment. Even Joanna Page as Queen Bess didn't bother me. And the banter between Tennant and Smith was brilliant. I'm quite glad they didn't just try and copy the antagonistic relationship that the Troughton and Pertwee Doctors had and did something different. I was also surprised to realise just how much I've missed Tennant too. John Hurt was also brilliant. I've been quite vocal about my disapproval of the creation of this incarnation, but I have nothing bad to say about Hurt's portrayal, he's class.

Also kudos to Steven Moffat on making sure David Tennant's last words on Doctor Who remain "I don't want to go."

I both enjoyed it and hated it a little. I feel it's made the RTD era basically not worth watching anymore which really pisses me off as that's the era that brought me into the show and I love it. The idea of the Doctor being the last of his kind and having to shoulder the responsibility for destroying his people and a lot more is a huge part of that and we all now know that isn't the case even if the Doctor has forgotten about it.

I hate that as much as Steven Moffat is bringing these great changes, the BBC, the public and the show aren't going to change official listing of the Doctors (i.e. Tennant will still get called the 10th Doctor and Smith the 11th.)

I dislike what this story set out to do so I'm never going to truly love it, but in all honesty if we had to get this story, I don't think they could have done it any better than how they did it which is kind of a compliment. Even Joanna Page as Queen Bess didn't bother me. And the banter between Tennant and Smith was brilliant. I'm quite glad they didn't just try and copy the antagonistic relationship that the Troughton and Pertwee Doctors had and did something different. I was also surprised to realise just how much I've missed Tennant too. John Hurt was also brilliant. I've been quite vocal about my disapproval of the creation of this incarnation, but I have nothing bad to say about Hurt's portrayal, he's class.

Also kudos to Steven Moffat on making sure David Tennant's last words on Doctor Who remain "I don't want to go."

I agree with most of this post, except that I think my annoyance overwhelmed my enjoyment.

It would be immense if they had a spin off series (even if it's just one) featuring Hurt as the 'War Doctor' detailing shit up until the start of last night's escapades.

I would love to see this! One of my disappointments from last nights was the lack of any of that stuff.