Doctor Who

yoda

16 minutes ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Decided to dive back in tonight where we left off last time we were watching. The Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead two parter. Simply stunning TV.

Possibly my favourite of the rebooted show.

The bit where he saves River at the end is fantastic.

It's good that there's a small haven where people are actually positive about the show. Twitter at the moment is an absolute cesspool (although maybe it's always been that way) with people - usually middle aged, white English or North American males - spouting 24/7 vitriol because they don't want a black gay man in the role.

The three specials were great and the Christmas episode was a positive start to the new era.

10 minutes ago, SGMilne said:

It's good that there's a small haven where people are actually positive about the show. Twitter at the moment is an absolute cesspool (although maybe it's always been that way) with people - usually middle aged, white English or North American males - spouting 24/7 vitriol because they don't want a black gay man in the role.

The three specials were great and the Christmas episode was a positive start to the new era.

I agree. Go online and the complaints have been the same for years.

It's gone woke.

Not been the same since [insert name here] played the doctor.

Box ticking

Politically correct rubbish

Ad nauseam 

Just now, scottsdad said:

It's gone woke.

Box ticking

Ad nauseam 

I know I'm preaching to the converted here. What I love about those numpties is they are ignoring that Doctor Who has been "woke" since 1963. Putting women, then BAME then LGBTQIA+ in key roles long before it was cool. 

Themes aren't the problem; the way it's written makes or breaks it.

The 'Doctor Who is now woke/Doctor Who has always been woke' debate reared its ugly head when Chris Chibnall was in charge, mainly because he was such a bad writer in Who (although he's clearly a capable writer at times - e.g. Broadchurch). Orphan 55 was the show at its worst with terrible, sledgehammer subtle lecturing. Compare that to the Green Death which was about pollution but not talking down to the audience.

I think RTD wrote the stuff with Rose in The Star Beast really well. It wasn't in your face, but it acknowledges that people out there get a hard time and also people in the older generations get stuff wrong in knowing how to be considerate around others. But it hardly took over the episode.

2 hours ago, SGMilne said:

Themes aren't the problem; the way it's written makes or breaks it.

The 'Doctor Who is now woke/Doctor Who has always been woke' debate reared its ugly head when Chris Chibnall was in charge, mainly because he was such a bad writer in Who (although he's clearly a capable writer at times - e.g. Broadchurch). Orphan 55 was the show at its worst with terrible, sledgehammer subtle lecturing. Compare that to the Green Death which was about pollution but not talking down to the audience.

I think RTD wrote the stuff with Rose in The Star Beast really well. It wasn't in your face, but it acknowledges that people out there get a hard time and also people in the older generations get stuff wrong in knowing how to be considerate around others. But it hardly took over the episode.

Utterly agree. Orphan 55 was the real low point of new Doctor Who.

I just felt for Jodie Whitaker. Good actress in the role given utter dross to work with.

On 30/12/2023 at 19:33, SGMilne said:

The three specials were meh. In my opinion a mistake to reinsert Tennant and Tate. The last special though much much better than the preceding two - I think they both fall into the whimsical and child-friendly category of quite a few RTD episodes. When he writes darker stuff, it is very very good but of course the Dr Who target audience is a wide spectrum and I completely accept that many of the fanbase lap-up the "timey-wimey" type dialogue/plots. 

• 3 weeks later...

Quite happy for the show to change companions when they don't change Doctor. It keeps it fresh. I liked Clara at first, but she should definitely have gone before she did. Conversely, the show could have benefited from Bill being the companion when Jodie Whittaker first turned up.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

• 3 weeks later...

So I liked the post McCoy format for Doctor Who because 7-10 episode stories (that's going back a bit) were never my thing.

Firstly I was worried that 1 or 2 episode stories may be too short, but the RTD & SM combination proved me wrong.

Now I'm worried that RTD with Disney pulling the strings with the BBC is making this show too childish (based on the Christmas special)

And the woke level was laughable in the specials: it's telling that this popular show didn't spark a national conversation about incorrect use of pronouns (presumably because the writers think those who do misapply pronouns should be criminalised, as was attempted in Canada), unlike the way Mr Bates vs The Post Office basically kick-started Parliament into doing something (compensation pending).

It doesn't bode well that RTD seems to have cast an actress who can't get beyond one series.

1 hour ago, ChilliTomatoSoup said:

So I liked the post McCoy format for Doctor Who because 7-10 episode stories (that's going back a bit) were never my thing.

Firstly I was worried that 1 or 2 episode stories may be too short, but the RTD & SM combination proved me wrong.

Now I'm worried that RTD with Disney pulling the strings with the BBC is making this show too childish (based on the Christmas special)

And the woke level was laughable in the specials: it's telling that this popular show didn't spark a national conversation about incorrect use of pronouns (presumably because the writers think those who do misapply pronouns should be criminalised, as was attempted in Canada), unlike the way Mr Bates vs The Post Office basically kick-started Parliament into doing something (compensation pending).

It doesn't bode well that RTD seems to have cast an actress who can't get beyond one series.

On 30/12/2023 at 19:46, scottsdad said:

It's gone woke.

Box ticking

Ad nauseam 

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, The Naitch said:

New series starts May 11th. Episodes released midnight every week on the iPlayer then shown later that day on TV.

Same day as the eurovision song contest final. Will be a big saturday. Hopefully big wins for Ncuti and Olly.