Doctor Who

yoda

Really enjoyed that. I think each of the three episodes has improved upon the last. Need to watch it again at some point, the last 10 minutes in particular to make sure I get what's happened, but that was a decent episode overall.

Quite excited for Ncuti Gatwa's time now. 

I think the whole Bi-Generation thing ties into Davies rebranding of it as series 1. 

It seems odd that if 14 was suffering from the accumulated trauma of Eccleston through Whittaker, that 15 shouldnt also be in the same place but he clearly isn't. In the Tardis scene he seems to recognise that 14 needs a break even as he, ostensibly the same man, doesn't.

The regeneration narrative trick only works so long as you sustain the illusion that it's the same person, even allowing for the differences in how the character is played by different actors. Yet that's much harder when you have the two of them side by side not physically the same being anymore, on divergent narrative paths as well.

To my mind, the whole stunt is a way of parking the 05 to 23 continuity. The new Doctor may have the memories of the old one, but in a more abstract way, and not in a way that will require too many or any references at all to the past. He can fly off to a continuity free future on Disney + while Tennant marks the end of NuDoctor Who.

Edited by renton

The Daleks In Colour (iPlayer)

A colourised version of the original Daleks story. What's interesting to me is that they didn't just take the 7 original episodes and colour them in, but they cut them to make a single movie of ~75 minutes. They also made other changes. First, they added dramatic and incidental music. In some scenes this really helped build the drama and tension. Second, they included the odd small flashback which added to the drama.  For large parts I thought that this must be how Terry Nation imagined it when he was writing. 

But it all kind of falls apart towards the end. They play the dramatic incidental music over scenes that aren't dramatic at all. But worse, they started cutting out scenes and dialogue with the Thals. The Doctor's big plan at the end about going into the city is almost completely cut out. It gives the final 20 minutes or so a rushed feel to it. 

It's very interesting and fun. But, having watched it, I asked Scott for his verdict: "The original was better". 

32 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

It's very interesting and fun. But, having watched it, I asked Scott for his verdict: "The original was better". 

Scott is absolutely correct. It didn't really work imo

Effect of a doctor working during the festive period on population health: natural experiment using 60 years of Doctor Who episodes (the TARDIS study)

A genuine British Medical Journal article. 

A new Doctor Who episode shown every festive period, especially on Christmas Day, was associated with reduced mortality rates in England, Wales, and the UK, suggesting that a doctor working over the festive period could lower mortality rates. This finding reinforces why healthcare provision should not be taken for granted and may prompt the BBC and Disney+ to televise new episodes of Doctor Who every festive period, ideally on Christmas Day.

16 hours ago, The Naitch said:

Russell T Davies: The Doctor and Me on BBC One earlier this week was a superb documentary. Well worth catching up on.

Really enjoyed it - he also let slip that one of the upcoming episodes in the new series sees The Doctor and Ruby involved in some form of battle in Abbey Road studios with The Beatles !

I enjoyed it.

I have seen every debut episode, and this was up there with Tom Baker dressed as a Viking asking the Brjgadier what he thought of his outfit, and Matt Smith's first one.

Ncuti Gatwa was just sublime. He will be excellent.

Oh, and...

Finally caught up on the latest episode and enjoyed it. Ncuti is an absolute delight plus they’ve set things up nicely for the series ahead with whatever Mrs Flood’s role is and the inevitable reveal of Ruby’s birth mother down the road.