Doctor Who

yoda

I thought it was decent enough. Certain bits didn't work... by all means introduce Clara's family if you must but do it during a bog-standard episode not a regen special where you have to cram three years' worth of loose ends into an hour-long show.

The boss of the religious sect seemed an interesting character and I wouldn't mind finding out more of her backstory in some future episode.

Still, overall plenty of action and emotion. Good performances from the three leads, and much better than most Christmas episodes.

I've wondered for a while how they'd explain Capaldi's Scottish accent. My guess was that there would be something/someone Scottish around during the regeneration sequence and he would somehow "absorb" a bit of Caledonianness during the change. Clara was wearing a tartan skirt at the time so maybe I'll be right. Or maybe they'll just never mention his accent.

Anyway, now it's over... what are people's final thoughts on Smith's Doctor?

Personally, I thought he was superb. Ironically I think he stands out in shite episodes. Any Doctor can look good in a brilliantly-written, gripping story. Plenty of times with Smith though, I thought a plot was a load of rubbish but still quite enjoyed it because of his performance.

He was capable of combining the childlike enthusiasm of the curious Doctor with the gravitas of the Universe-weary traveller fantastically well.

I liked Ecclestone and thought Tennant was superb (a bit too lovey-dovey at times for my liking but I understand the need to try to recruit a new audience).

However, Smith is my favourite Nu-Who Doctor.

Well done Matt. See you in 2023 for the sixtieth!

I thought Smith got weaker as his seasons went along, and he definitely wasnt helped by performing alongside tennant in the day of the doctor as it showed up all his weaknesses.

He wasn't as good as Ecclestone and nowhere near as good as Tennant. He's a very limited actor and with being so one dimensional his shtick got old rather fast.

He wasnt terrible, but the previous two doctors would have brought a lot more to Smith's storylines.

Having just watched it a 2nd time on the I Player, I'm not QUITE as angry as I was when it finished last night. I still think it was very confusing in places and Moffat could have done a far better job, but a few questions I had got answered on second viewing.

It seemed far too easy

Indeed. It was like they knew what the end was but had no idea how to get there so they just threw that crap in. The way his regeneration energy destroyed the Daleks was nonsense as well. It was just all wrapped in a fashion that was far too simple and so thoughtless.

So does anyone else think they planned Matt smiths ending right from the beginning? It's looking like that to me now.

Not a chance that was planned from the very start

As I said, the can't regenerate anymore clearly wasn't thought about later as Smith was regenerating in The Impossible Astronaut, plus River gave him her "regeneration energy" in Lets Kill Hitler, as well as Smith being told his regeneration was disabled due to the poison

Also said he would regenerate anytime during Nightmare in Silver

Well the regeneration thing looked like a recent issue. I was meaning more along the silence will fall storyline.

Ah right, don't know. I said earlier I forgot about the crack and the tardis blowing up until last night

An interesting development was The Silence being revealed to be 'priests' or something of that strange religious movement headed by that mental looking bird. Weird to see them fighting next to The Doctor and weird to see that he remembered it.

Bit disappointed in that episode. Was hoping for something a bit different from Trenzalore if I'm honest, and something completely different for the regeneration and the "new cycle". All very mashed and muddled together in the hope it makes sense while also being intriguing. Meh

Be interesting to see how Capaldi develops considering his apparent "memory loss"

I can't really remember the reason but David Tennant's first episode consisted of him being in a coma for the majority of the episode. Perhaps its not memory loss that Capaldi's doctor is suffering from but it could be linked to his 'kidneys' and he knows it'll physically stop him from driving the Tardis. Just a thought.

Not a chance that was planned from the very start

As I said, the can't regenerate anymore clearly wasn't thought about later as Smith was regenerating in The Impossible Astronaut, plus River gave him her "regeneration energy" in Lets Kill Hitler, as well as Smith being told his regeneration was disabled due to the poison

Also said he would regenerate anytime during Nightmare in Silver

Come on Enrico this is amateur hour from you.

It wasn't The Doctor that was shot by the Astronaut (who is, remember, River). It was that machine thing that was made to look like him which he was inside. It was an elaborate hoax by him and quite deliberate.

Everything else can be explained by the very simple maxim of "Rule 1".

I can't really remember the reason but David Tennant's first episode consisted of him being in a coma for the majority of the episode. Perhaps its not memory loss that Capaldi's doctor is suffering from but it could be linked to his 'kidneys' and he knows it'll physically stop him from driving the Tardis. Just a thought.

Yeah all the Doctors act differently upon regeneration, but there was instance before when the Time Lords took away the Doctors knowledge of flying the Tardis, so maybe its just a subtle nod at the past of the show?

Come on Enrico this is amateur hour from you.

It wasn't The Doctor that was shot by the Astronaut (who is, remember, River). It was that machine thing that was made to look like him which he was inside. It was an elaborate hoax by him and quite deliberate.

Everything else can be explained by the very simple maxim of "Rule 1".

I'm thinking the doctor would have been trying to trick them all. Every time he said he could regenerate I think he was goading them to try, to attempt to kill him.