A great feeling at Cappielow..

The seaside league has a lot going for it and Morton fans should look forward to winning games most weeks.

The forum can be a bit pedestrian in terms of traffic though. Oh and don't say that you fancy your team to win in the match threads as some will view it as big time charlie talk!

Mind you that can be the source of much mirth and merriment particularly when your team goes on to pump the opposition. Breakdownagogo!

As I have said before a short stay at the seaside might just be the tonic Morton require.

This is like watching someone on death row. Knowing they are going to sink , watching them get weaker by the week and only the date of execution unsure . By the way pal , I have to remind you that it took them three or four attempts the last time to get out of the amusement arcade league.

This is like watching someone on death row. Knowing they are going to sink , watching them get weaker by the week and only the date of execution unsure . By the way pal , I have to remind you that it took them three or four attempts the last time to get out of the amusement arcade league.

The calibre of the league back then was a lot higher than it was last season. During Morton's time they had to teams like Gretna, Partick, Ourselves (although, we were whipping boys for them most of the time) and a cracking Stirling team to contend with. Queens were full time in a wholey part time team with far more resources to work with than their rivals. It wasn't exactly Sevco, but it wasn't a cause for concern.

The calibre of the league back then was a lot higher than it was last season. During Morton's time they had to teams like Gretna, Partick, Ourselves (although, we were whipping boys for them most of the time) and a cracking Stirling team to contend with. Queens were full time in a wholey part time team with far more resources to work with than their rivals. It wasn't exactly Sevco, but it wasn't a cause for concern.

Ayr were also full-time and finished above us the previous season. Indeed, they started the season as favourites with the bookies and with most observers on here.

I got fed up of last season. It was dull in the extreme. I got bored of awaiting the first goal at Palmerston, before applauding contentedly when it arrived.

We won the league so early that I also got thoroughly fed up of applauding the players as they trooped round doing that clapping above their heads thing.

The second division forum was quite spectacularly tedious.

I'd hate to go back to the third tier anytime soon. Our season there could have gone no better, yet for the most part, it was rubbish.

Ayr were also full-time and finished above us the previous season. Indeed, they started the season as favourites with the bookies and with most observers on here.

Ayr were not full time and hadn't been the season before when they finished above us either. They had some full time u19's as many clubs do but the first team in general was part-time.

Ayr were not full time and hadn't been the season before when they finished above us either. They had some full time u19's as many clubs do but the first team in general was part-time.

Fair enough - my mistake. I'd thought they were full-time.

It doesn't alter my point that they were more fancied than us at the outset of last season though.

Neither does it alter how tedious last season was in the main.

Fair enough , thats a strong enough league, but , as I said, they had three or four go's at it and it wasn't that strong in all of those seasons . Being FT is not a cast iron guarantee to win the third tier. Our dreadful midfield in McPherson's era would have struggled in the third tier , ft or not. Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

Fair enough - my mistake. I'd thought they were full-time.

It doesn't alter my point that they were more fancied than us at the outset of last season though.

Neither does it alter how tedious last season was in the main.

Yes they were favoured by the bookies and on here though it's amazing how often that little fact is forgotten amongst all the "QoS were always going to win by miles" comments. Ayrhad finished above us the season before and had a great pre-season which saw them highly fancied.

Don't agree on the other part though. I enjoyed pretty much every minute of last season. Would I have wanted to stay there more than a season? No. Is the second division forum particularly lively? No. But I didn't find the season remotely tedious.

Fair enough , thats a strong enough league, but , as I said, they had three or four go's at it and it wasn't that strong in all of those seasons . Being FT is not a cast iron guarantee to win the third tier. Our dreadful midfield in McPherson's era would have struggled in the third tier , ft or not.

Mmm, McLaughlin I'll give you. Simmons to an extent though he's done well since, wasn't as bad as he's made out to be with us and I think his only playing time below second tier in his career was with Alloa last season.

However, McKenna & Carmichael are still with us. Allan Johnston did excellently in that midfield and it also occasionally included Ian McShane who is still with us. McGuffie too played there sometimes, though he was better at full back whilst another frequent midfielder in that season was Nicky Clark!

The whole set up with Gus didn't work out for whatever reason. The defence chucked away far too many goals late on, the attack didn't score enough and the midfield lacked creativity. The blend wasn't right. But there wasn't much wrong with the personnel in midfield when you look at it.

Yes they were favoured by the bookies and on here though it's amazing how often that little fact is forgotten amongst all the "QoS were always going to win by miles" comments. Ayrhad finished above us the season before and had a great pre-season which saw them highly fancied.

Don't agree on the other part though. I enjoyed pretty much every minute of last season. Would I have wanted to stay there more than a season? No. Is the second division forum particularly lively? No. But I didn't find the season remotely tedious.

I'm maybe overstating the tedium angle a bit, but I did find the inevitability of many of our wins pretty dull. There were some exhilarating performances - that 10 man destruction of Arbroath springs to mind, but it was hard to get excited about the League when it was effectively sown up by about November. I did thoroughly enjoy the Ramsden's Cup though and the League Cup also threw up a highlight.

The protracted nature of our league celebrations took a toll though. I genuinely got fed up of marking the achievement. They clinched it in late March then there were subsequent occasions such as the first hone game since it, the presentation match and the final game at Cliftonhill. This guard of honour, stand up for the champions stuff began to get my goat. I suspect that's just me though.

Being FT is not a cast iron guarantee to win the third tier.

Granted that being full-time is not a cast iron guarantee of success in the 2nd Division. However I can't recall the last time a full time team failed to win promotion and fairly comfortably at that.

On that basis as long as Morton remain full time I believe they will win the league at a canter. Dare I say it - even with the current squad!

Mmm, McLaughlin I'll give you. Simmons to an extent though he's done well since, wasn't as bad as he's made out to be with us and I think his only playing time below second tier in his career was with Alloa last season.

However, McKenna & Carmichael are still with us. Allan Johnston did excellently in that midfield and it also occasionally included Ian McShane who is still with us. McGuffie too played there sometimes, though he was better at full back whilst another frequent midfielder in that season was Nicky Clark!

The whole set up with Gus didn't work out for whatever reason. The defence chucked away far too many goals late on, the attack didn't score enough and the midfield lacked creativity. The blend wasn't right. But there wasn't much wrong with the personnel in midfield when you look at it.

will just answer this quick seen as its a classic thread about Morton. McLaughlin - no ,- Simmons- don't get me started, Johnson- past it by that point , Clark - wrong position and a year short of blossoming, McShane - still too young . Strangely enough, Danny Carmichael was playing better then . Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

I think we should give this thread back to Morton now, we've hijacket it for long enough. If we want to carry on reminiscing we should take it back to our own one.

None of this is going to make them feel any better about missing the forthcoming gravy train while the ply their trade in the seaside league.

To be fair, he may have had a point - there's precedent (Falkirk sold one of their young out of contract guys for a 6-figure fee despite him having 6 months on his contract, iirc... Murray Wallace, was it? I forget.) for 1st division/Championship players going for pretty hefty amounts of money, relatively speaking.

What it may point to is more that Dougie Rae/the Morton board are simpletons.

No Wallace had two and a half years left. We have just sold Fulton to Swansea who was out of contract in the summer however.