A great feeling at Cappielow..

Confused rather than seething for me anyway tbh. I don't understand why he would go to Partick to play for the reserves or sit on the bench at best, rather than stay at Cappielow and get some first team football. At his age, getting first team games under his belt is very important and that is unlikely to happen at Firhill in the short run at least.

Did he even get any game time at Cappielow? Why would that change next season when people like Tony Wallace are made the main priority by being offered new contracts? One of the finest young Scottish talents in the country at present came through our ranks in the last couple of seasons and is now part of the Scotland u21 set-up, which certainly reflects well on our record of youth development. If he's good enough then he'll be involved in and around our first team picture in a short while.

Significance / esteem - I was close

Out of interest, how many senior clubs, involved in nationwide leagues, compete each year for the Renfrewshire Cup?

Two. And its fixtures still maintain a higher national profile and average attendances than the Pawnbrokers' Cup.

Edited by vikingTON

Two. And its fixtures still maintain a higher national profile and average attendances than the Pawnbrokers' Cup.

Really?

It's called 'Fun with Facts' so I don't doubt the veracity of your claim. I'm guessing it's based on what amounts to a friendly between yourselves and St Mirren drawing a couple of thousand while there are very few fixtures in the tournament overall, to dilute the biggest crowd drawn.

Could you provide evidence though please?

En route to the triumph featured in the photo, Queens played in front of around 22,000 in the quarters and 10,000 in the final, both games screened live on TV. Many other fixtures would have had small crowds however. I'm guessing, you're being characteristically selective here, rather than simply lying, but do share the relevant facts please.

Really?

It's called 'Fun with Facts' so I don't doubt the veracity of your claim. I'm guessing it's based on what amounts to a friendly between yourselves and St Mirren drawing a couple of thousand while there are very few fixtures in the tournament overall, to dilute the biggest crowd drawn.

Could you provide evidence though please?

En route to the triumph featured in the photo, Queens played in front of around 22,000 in the quarters and 10,000 in the final, both games screened live on TV. Many other fixtures would have had small crowds however. I'm guessing, you're being characteristically selective here, rather than simply lying, but do share the relevant facts please.

According to 'Inverclyde now' 3,722 attended last years final. I assume the crowds dropped off for the final.

http://www.inverclydenow.com/sport/morton/7583-ton-defeated-in-renfrewshire-cup-final

Really?

It's called 'Fun with Facts' so I don't doubt the veracity of your claim.

This isn't part of any 'Fun with Facts' feature. This is simply a statement of the Pawnbrokers' Cup diddiness, placed on the same level as that of the Renfrewshire Cup.

Unlucky.

This isn't part of any 'Fun with Facts' feature. This is simply a statement of the Pawnbrokers' Cup diddiness, placed on the same level as that of the Renfrewshire Cup.

Unlucky.

What? You really did just tell a lie then?

Christ, this is a sad day. I feel personally let down - I almost mean it.

What was paid in compensation?

No idea, but it'll be a tiny amount of money. Although we were offering him a full-time contract he was only on an amateur contract before that, which makes the compensation even smaller than it already would be for a guy who's had one sub appearance in his whole career.

While he'd have been more likely to get first team football here, I can't blame him for doubting that he would, having not been given a start when we had nothing to play for last season while players who were certain to be released were still in the team. If he's not getting a chance in those circumstances, why would he believe he'd get one next season?

No idea, but it'll be a tiny amount of money. Although we were offering him a full-time contract he was only on an amateur contract before that, which makes the compensation even smaller than it already would be for a guy who's had one sub appearance in his whole career.

While he'd have been more likely to get first team football here, I can't blame him for doubting that he would, having not been given a start when we had nothing to play for last season while players who were certain to be released were still in the team. If he's not getting a chance in those circumstances, why would he believe he'd get one next season?

Do you get compensated for players on amateur contracts?

What was paid in compensation?

I think he was on amateur terms so there is no compensation. Part of the move relates to his connection with the previous head of youth at Cappielow who now has no connection with the club and he apparently persuaded him to move.

I think he was on amateur terms so there is no compensation. Part of the move relates to his connection with the previous head of youth at Cappielow who now has no connection with the club and he apparently persuaded him to move.

Who are you talking about?

John Laird.

Thanks. I had forgotten about him! Don't think he has done him any favours tbh. Although in a way, I have some sympathy for the boy. He should have had some game time after the game at Firhill.