A great feeling at Cappielow..

We know the facts: as did Rotherham when our Amstrad chairman declared publicly that he'd accept a price 40% lower than his valuation.

Clearly the mind of a business genius at work.

Who decides "his valuation"? I'd have thought the market would've been the best judge of that.

Who decides "his valuation"? I'd have thought the market would've been the best judge of that.

Erm, the club decides his valuation. If no suitor wishes to meet that figure, the players isn't sold.

That's how the transfer market works, champ.

And he's off for 50k?

Our chairman, in a moment of particular inspiration, told the local rag that despite valuing Tidser at £80k, he'd sell him for £50k (out of respect for the player, apparently).

Any way you look at it, we have let the main reason we managed to finish in 2nd place last season go for an amount which doesn't seem at all beneficial to our chances of making much money from the new set-up in the coming season.

Our chairman, in a moment of particular inspiration, told the local rag that despite valuing Tidser at £80k, he'd sell him for £50k (out of respect for the player, apparently).

So, in reality, Morton valued him at £50K, the sum which would secure his signature for someone else.

The £80K figure is irrelevant. They might as well have 'valued' him at £14m, for all that would matter if they were prepared to accept much less.

So, in reality, Morton valued him at £50K, the sum which would secure his signature for someone else.

The £80K figure is irrelevant. They might as well have 'valued' him at £14m, for all that would matter if they were prepared to accept much less.

In reality his value to us was decided by the whim of one man.

It looks like the current Morton chairman has given up on the SPL. He must be weighing up the poor gates last season, despite challenging for the title and the cost of bringing some kind of modernity to Cappielow.

I can see the 25 year absence from the top flight becoming 35 years pretty easily.

I said last summer the season past would be make or break for Morton. They signed a few experienced players that had won the league and had a few exciting younger players. Even during the season I said they had to get promoted because the older guys don't have another title push in them and the talented young players like Tidser won't want to hang about div 1 forever.

Its a shame because Morton came as close as they have been for years but just fell short and now Moore has a tough job building another title challenging squad which can take a few seasons with a smaller wage budget. It looks like the next 2-3 seasons are a write off with Dundee looking strong, next season you'll have Rangers and maybe even Hearts in the division.

Yep, I reckon last season may have been the high water mark for Morton. I can see them becoming the Arsenal of Division One, continuing to play enchanting if schizophrenic football but winning hee-haw by way of trophies for the long foreseeable future.

That won't stop the swivel-eyed element of their support however from continuing to claim, like the Bourbons in France, that it's all a historical aberration and the 'normal' order of things will eventually be resumed. Aye, right.

£50k for Tidser is poor business by the club. Double that and I'd have been happy but he's worth more than £50K. Despite my disappointment with regards to the fee, he deserves this move. He's a top, top midfielder who I feel will make the step up to League 1 no bother, and will make a name for himself down south.

We found a gem in Tidser when we signed him a few years back - we'll do it again. Is it McKee? Only time will tell. We knew this day would come, so we just have to suck it up and move on. All the best, Michael!

Edited by forzamorton

I wouldn't have paid 5p for this guy on the basis of the title decider at Firhill. You would expect a massive game to bring out the best players and he was ridiculously half hearted in everything he done that night.

I wouldn't have paid 5p for this guy on the basis of the title decider at Firhill. You would expect a massive game to bring out the best players and he was ridiculously half hearted in everything he done that night.

He was injured. He would never have played if he wasn't so important to us, but wasn't fit enough to make an impact anyway (goes to show how much we relied on him). He didn't play again for us.

He was brutal that night, but hes had a couple of decent games against us too. I'd say him and Erskine were the best players in the league last year.

Edited by Jobber

Any way you look at it, we have let the main reason we managed to finish in 2nd place last season go for an amount which doesn't seem at all beneficial to our chances of making much money from the new set-up in the coming season.

The old fool should've publically slapped a £250,000 price tag on him if he felt he had to blab to the press at all. We'd have done well to get half that but we should at least have got six figures for him. £50K is a disgarceful amount to get for the boy.

It looks like the current Morton chairman has given up on the SPL. He must be weighing up the poor gates last season, despite challenging for the title and the cost of bringing some kind of modernity to Cappielow.

I can see the 25 year absence from the top flight becoming 35 years pretty easily.

Sadly, I agree. It takes time to get the fans back and it's obvious the support is there. However, we'll be back to square one next season as enthusiasm for the new season is rock bottom amongst the fans I've spoke to. We should've built on last season, not ripped the team apart.

That's convenient.

Maybe so but it's also a fact. As soon as our season was over Tidser didn't kick another ball. May have been right after the Thistle game, I can't recall.

The old fool should've publically slapped a £250,000 price tag on him if he felt he had to blab to the press at all. We'd have done well to get half that but we should at least have got six figures for him. £50K is a disgarceful amount to get for the boy.

Sadly, I agree. It takes time to get the fans back and it's obvious the support is there. However, we'll be back to square one next season as enthusiasm for the new season is rock bottom amongst the fans I've spoke to. We should've built on last season, not ripped the team apart.

Maybe so but it's also a fact. As soon as our season was over Tidser didn't kick another ball. May have been right after the Thistle game, I can't recall.

Yeah, Thistle was his last game for us.

Morton are now in the SP(F)L.

Mission accomplished. Legacy achieved ;)

In these tough financial times, maybe he sees this as an opportunity to recuperate some of his companys' money that he's spunked away over the years. Wouldn't blame him in the slightest. Now that First Division clubs have a bigger slice of the financial pie, Dougie Wonka can see the opportunity to stop the bleeding from his Company accounts.

Maybe a wee selling opportunity exists for the Man Who Saved Morton? :)