A great feeling at Cappielow..

The current century is, erm, 13 seasons old. In which, as ever, Queens best league finish was convincingly beaten by that of Morton.

Back to the middle of the shadow you go then.

And yet, picking an isolated season from this significant spell undermines the case you've skilfully built thus far.

'Fun with Facts'' fun fact check: in compiling the above, thoroughly embarrassing dossier of your club's abject failure, it came to light that Queen of the South actually spent two seasons in the Scottish Third Division, from 1923-1925. A league in which they battled it out with giants such as, erm, Nithsdale Wanderers, Solway Star (I'm not making these names up), Lochgelly United, Helensburgh, Peebles and everyone's favourite village diddy team: Brechin 'City'.

Even more embarrassingly, Queen of the South were only promoted on goal average ahead of erm, Solway Star: being pipped to the title by the galacticos that are Nithsdale Wanderers.

So to recap:

Seasons spent in the Third Division: Morton 1 (winners, record division crowd in the process) Queen of the South 2 (losers).

Unlucky.

Now, that is a fair point and I must confess with all the excitement of Queens featuring in Fun with Facts, I took it that we were discussing the clearly defined period of time from league reconstruction in 1976 (see below) to present day when saying Queens had never played in the 3rd division.

Since we're warming to the theme of the thread, let's play the always fun game of Fun Facts. Tonight's topic: Queen of the South.

Fun fact: Since reconstruction in 1976, they have spent no less than 20 seasons in the seaside leagues.

:lol:

Bonus fun fact: their highest league finish in all those (37) years was, chortle, 4th in the First Division.

Nevertheless, let me re-phrase it and say Queens have never played in the fourth tier, which of course Morton did only a few short seasons ago . ;)

Edited by qos_75

Now, that is a fair point and I must confess with all the excitement of Queens featuring in Fun with Facts, I took it that we were discussing the clearly defined period of time from league reconstruction in 1976 (see below) to present day when saying Queens had never played in the 3rd division.

Nevertheless, let me re-phrase it and say Queens have never played in the fourth tier, which of course Morton did only a few short seasons ago . ;)

Don't worry, I don't think your club were ever saved by the lack of a pyramid system. :lol: 1895-96.

Vikington snrsnrsnrsnr certainly wasn't bumping his gums about self interest when he was lad.

'Sort of' suggests that their is an element of similarity and/or doubt about the comparison. Fun with Facts has shown that there can be no such doubts. Queen of the South have and forever will live in our long, cold, dark shadow,

This kind of rhetoric convinces me that he is Greenock's equivalent of Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory.

Probably looks like him too !

More Fun Facts…

The overall record of the number of clubs' semi-final appearances since 1989 across both the Scottish and League Cups goes as follows.

29 - Celtic, Rangers

16 - Aberdeen, Dundee United

13 - Heart of Midlothian, Hibernian

10 - St Johnstone

8 - Dunfermline Athletic

6 - Airdrieonians, Motherwell

5 - Dundee, Falkirk, Kilmarnock

4 - Livingston

3 - Ayr United, St Mirren

2 - Inverness CT, Raith Rovers

1 - Clydebank, Gretna, Partick Thistle, Queen of the South, Ross County

In the last 23 years all of these clubs have been to Hampden in the cups at least once while Morton are missing altogether. That's pretty embarrassing.

Edited by MacWatt

More Fun Facts…

The overall record of the number of clubs' semi-final appearances since 1989 across both the Scottish and League Cups goes as follows.

29 - Celtic, Rangers

10 - St Johnstone

8 - Dunfermline Athletic

4 - Livingston

In the last 23 years all of these clubs have been to Hampden in the cups at least once while Morton are missing altogether. That's pretty embarrassing.

Some splendid 'Fun with Facts' facts there.

Are you seriosly trying to say that this list features 23 (twenty three) clubs, yet Morton don't feature? Half the Scottish game has enjoyed more Cup success than Morton over the last quarter century or thereabouts.

Even if we remove the four dead clubs from the list, it remains embarrassingly large for Morton.

More Fun Facts

29 - Celtic, Rangers

10 - St Johnstone

8 - Dunfermline Athletic

4 - Livingston

I am.only 22 and have enjoyed said semi finals and a final. I also enjoyed the 2 pitch invasions I have been involved in. Sadly for the sad act that is v-ton, the best memory he has is a season playing 2nd fiddle to Patrick.

I am.only 22 and have enjoyed said semi finals and a final. I also enjoyed the 2 pitch invasions I have been involved in. Sadly for the sad act that is v-ton, the best memory he has is a season playing 2nd fiddle to Patrick.

That's not fair. He also got to see them win 4 out of 5 at the start of the 2011-12 season.

Such scenes.

Enjoy the next twenty two playing Stranraer and Brechin

Of course not: but when Queens played in the third tier, it was a much lesser level in a larger league setup. As stated above, you were playing against complete pub teams and still barely scraped out of the league after two seasons.

The comparison with Morton's brief spell in the Third, with its glorious conclusion, is significant.

Edited by vikingTON

Other than seeing my side win two league titles and progress a full 23 places up the league pyramid, in a decade (compare with Ayr's slither into parody over the same period), I'd say that my most enjoyable memory would be of a James Grady haunted Morton side still effortlessly relegating Ayr United at Cappielow: seeing your fans invade the pitch in sheer rage, before breaking down into literal sobs in The Norseman post-match.

greggy.png

More Fun Facts…

'Fun with Facts' doesn't concern itself with trivialities such as 'semi-finals'. While I understand that counts as the rare opportunity for an open-top bus parade in more depressed parts of the country, Morton have been to Hampden and won the prize. Diddy sides never have and, most importantly, never will. You could be playing for another century and will never come close to the achievements of Greenock Morton.

So... back to the middle of our shadow you go.

At least QOS have got to a major cup final recently. Morton have never done f**k all in my lifetime, and I'm fucking ancient.

Unlike Dundee: whose last major cup success occurred in, erm, 1910.

Enjoy the next twenty two playing Stranraer and Brechin

Will that be the same Stranraer and Brechin that have played at a level or 2 above Morton on 2 and 3 occasions respectively in the last 11 seasons?

Will we count how many times both have had a higher standing in that period as well?

Will that be the same Stranraer and Brechin that have played at a level or 2 above Morton on 2 and 3 occasions respectively in the last 11 seasons?

Will we count how many times both have had a higher standing in that period as well?

Nice to see you sticking up for your huge Ayrshire derby rival there.

Of course not: but when Queens played in the third tier, it was a much lesser level in a larger league setup. As stated above, you were playing against complete pub teams and still barely scraped out of the league after two seasons.

The comparison with Morton's brief spell in the Third, with its glorious conclusion, is significant.

You finished 2nd bottom of the lot, but for self preservation, who knows where you'd be today.