The Wire

BradHorse

Every character, and I mean every character, has their own superbly-written back story from the two-bit gangsters to the politicians & police chiefs. The Sopranos showed one character to perfection - The Wire has a whole bunch of them!

A city has never been depicted as deeply warts-and-all as Baltimore has here, and a TV show has never so closely resembled a novel as The Wire has. Outstanding TV.

Every character, and I mean every character, has their own superbly-written back story from the two-bit gangsters to the politicians & police chiefs. The Sopranos showed one character to perfection - The Wire has a whole bunch of them!

very well put. I found the Sopranos a bit of a let down if I;m honest, but I watched it after The wire, and I have no doubt that makes a difference.

I wasn't big on the first season if I'm being honest. It took me a while to get into it, but when I did(around the second season) I was watching this to the end regardless. So what I'd recommend is stick with it as you'll grow to love it bigtime in the end.

I still don't think it would have been the same without the first however, as it really set the backstory for all the characters and only led to the need to introduce a small group of new ones every season.

Edited by the jambo-rocker

• 3 months later...

Struggling with the last seaon like.

Loved up until about 3 episodes into the final season. Everytime I go to stick it on I go for something else. Is it worth persevering with?

I was a bit underwhlemed by the last season if i'm honest, but i rewatched it last year and found it very very good - so yes, stick with it.

The 5th series suffers from series 4 being the best thing ever made for TV. It's still the absolute bollocks though

Maybe, season 4 was fantastic, although 3 remeains my favourite.

I think it suffers from the fact that the "world" of the media wasn;t fleshed out as much as it could have been. When new parts of the city were introduced previously - the Docks, politcs, Education, the series really went for it, aside from a few "Newspaper budgets eh?" scenes, the existence to the newspaper seemed to only be there to further the McNulty plot. I would have liked to have seen more stuff in the vein of chasing up Nereese Campbell, and the pultizer chasing

Maybe, season 4 was fantastic, although 3 remeains my favourite.

I think it suffers from the fact that the "world" of the media wasn;t fleshed out as much as it could have been. When new parts of the city were introduced previously - the Docks, politcs, Education, the series really went for it, aside from a few "Newspaper budgets eh?" scenes, the existence to the newspaper seemed to only be there to further the McNulty plot. I would have liked to have seen more stuff in the vein of chasing up Nereese Campbell, and the pultizer chasing

I agree the media world wasn't the most gripping, which was surprising as it was preciscely the bureaucracy and penny pinching of the newspapers he worked for that made David Simon leave the job he loved.

Just finished watching season one, thought it was great. Favourite characters are McNulty, Bubs and Bodie, Bodie is the boy.

However the scene where they kill Wallace was horrible.

Oh and special praise for the crazy mother fucker Omar.

Edited by Mr. Brightside