Jordan Rhodes

~~~

Is Aiden McGeady Irish?

Yeah, I've long wondered about this distinction as well.

In my book, you can represent another country at football without being that nationality.

Was Matt Elliot Scottish when he played for us? Surely not.

I still regard Aiden McGeady as a Scot, who plays for Roi.

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I've long wondered about this distinction as well.

In my book, you can represent another country at football without being that nationality.

Was Matt Elliot Scottish when he played for us? Surely not.

I still regard Aiden McGeady as a Scot, who plays for Roi.

I suspect it's more to do with how much you like the player rather than where he was born. I would suggest our Celtic supporting, rather thuggish defender would not have posted that if Jordan Rhodes was a six foot five centre half from Leicester rather than a prolific striker.

Concepts of nationality are essentially void these days anyway.

The nationality debate could go on forever

Jordan Rhodes was born in England, before moving to Scotland at 6 months old. He was brought up in Scotland, went to school in Scotland and his brother and sister were born in Scotland. Ask the boy himself and he'll tell you he is Scottish

Aiden Mcgeady was born in Scotland, brought up in Scotland and decided to play for ROI. I'm sure if you asked him, he'd say he was Scottish but opted to play for ROI

The future's bright, the futures Rhodes

I'm just as sure he wouldn't.

Various sites quoting an interview after the Cyprus game

"It was never in doubt I would be sticking with Scotland. I'm Scottish through and through. I had all the jerseys as a kid and grew up watching Scotland."

Ask the boy himself and he'll tell you he is Scottish

Aiden Mcgeady was born in Scotland, brought up in Scotland and decided to play for ROI. I'm sure if you asked him, he'd say he was Scottish but opted to play for ROI

The future's bright, the futures Rhodes

I'm just as sure he wouldn't.

As far as nationality goes, he would be classed as British. Something I don't like having to say!

This is the point exactly. We live in a society where nationality is a very blurred issue. I don't have a problem with that at all, I've thought for a while that concepts of patriotism and nationalism are alien at best and divisive in many cases, so it seems odd to expect the national football team to have clear distinctions between who is Scottish and who isn't. In the same way, in any other walk of life, the division between who is Scottish and who isn't seems to be mainly a bureaucratic nonsense, or an issue for borderline bigots. I wouldn't at all want to see the national team made up of just whoever, but that isn't going to happen anyway. I think the system is largely fine as it is. I just think the attitudes towards Rhodes and Driver*, or Rhodes and Morrison suggest a little hypocrisy.

*Driver, it seems to me, is a bit shit.

Had a debate with a few lads on my facebook about what Jordan Rhodes next step should be.

I felt going to the championship would be a better move than going straight up to EPL. this was met down the middle with few agreeing sayin West Ham/Middelsbrough/Leicester was a good step up.

With other comically sayin Spurs, along with Wigan :blink: and West Brom.

I feel the gap between League One and the EPL is maybe just to great a jump for someone as young.

Other players like Ade Akinbiyi, Simon Cox & Jermaine Beckford made simliar type moves and not really prevail in a good light.

Thoughts??

Had a debate with a few lads on my facebook about what Jordan Rhodes next step should be.

I felt going to the championship would be a better move than going straight up to EPL. this was met down the middle with few agreeing sayin West Ham/Middelsbrough/Leicester was a good step up.

With other comically sayin Spurs, along with Wigan :blink: and West Brom.

I feel the gap between League One and the EPL is maybe just to great a jump for someone as young.

Other players like Ade Akinbiyi, Simon Cox & Jermaine Beckford made simliar type moves and not really prevail in a good light.

Thoughts??

If it was any other player (Goodwillie for example) I'd agree. But there is something about Rhodes that smacks of maturity well beyond his years. On Friday night, when he was getting interviewed after the game, one of his teammates came up and grabbed him in celebration, shook him and screamed in his ear. Most players would have had a laugh and shouted something back, but Rhodes just shot him a steely glare and kept talking to the interviewer without flinching.

Small things like that make me think he has the single-mindedness and mettle to make the most of his talent in the EPL, especially for a team who buy him to be their attacking spearhead.

Perhaps going to Southampton or West Ham would be a safe stepping stone, but I reckon that 1) he's old enough (22 next month) and 2) he's got what it takes to make it in the EPL.

Not drawing comparisons here, but remember all the greatest attackers were on fire in top flight football by their late teens or early twenties (Messi, fat Ronaldo, Denis Law etc).

It's going to be interesting to see how he follows up his 5 goal showing when H'field play Oldham (I think) on sat. Football league show will be getting taped!

Actually, he wouldn't. There's a YouTube clip of some Celtic DVD where him and his Ol' Da' were interviewed and he makes it clear that he regards himself as Irish. Yes, the audience has to be considered, but he's a true believer.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived