Tennents Sixes

It was screwed the last times because rangers had mcewans as sponsor so couldnt play.

Was good Sunday fun when I was a wee lad, think it would be pretty gash row to be honest, although would be interesting to see the old firm sitting beside each other and starting there pish. Riotrastic

It was screwed the last times because rangers had mcewans as sponsor so couldnt play.

Was good Sunday fun when I was a wee lad, think it would be pretty gash row to be honest, although would be interesting to see the old firm sitting beside each other and starting there pish. Riotrastic

hence why it was moved from Ingilston to the SECC and that the group games where split so the old firm where at different sessions

My memory of the event is pretty shaky as I was only approaching double figures when it was scrapped.

What i do remember is John Collins scoring a peach, and celebrating the victory in 1992 whilst thinking 'this is what it's like to win something then!'

Great fun in it's day from what I've heard about it, but would bring a bit of an amateur feel to the league as a whole i think.

It was a good laugh that wee tournament, for the record here's the past winners (taken from Wiki)

I have some highlights of the season we got to the final. A 4-3 defeat to Rangers, wins over Dundee and St. Mirren and then the second half of a hilarious semi-final 5-1 win over Aberdeen, during a season where we couldn't buy a win in the league.

Dunfermline must have taken part, as our only other entry was in the season where we were both in the Premier. We lost 4-1 to Aberdeen and 9-3 to Dundee!

Now, at risk of being a party pooper, I seem to recall the Tennents Sixes being top notch entertainment. Absolutely brilliant fun. Were I to YouTube the highlights of the early 90s games, would it all seem a bit shit in retrospect?

Edited to add; a bit like how the Masters Series they re-run on Sky whenever there's a quiet Tuesday are really kind of dull? I do recall some enormous fat guy playing for St Mirren, and 40 year old Bert Konterman skinning him for pace.

Edited by Savage Henry

• 3 years later...