Who Has Got Snow Tyers

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never used them and have never had a problem driving in snow, i continued driving 6 hours a day last year during the worst of it. I have often thought that it's a ploy by the tyre manufacterers to get more money out of you.

If you adapt your driving style accordingly then snow tyres won't make much of a difference.

Strange reaction on some posts.

Living out in the country is a wee bit different from the town. The roads don’t get treated as often as in the town and with less traffic the roads become very dangerous.

Winter tyers have a much shorter breaking distance on snow to normal tyers.

The car dose not slide on snow as much as normal tyers.

They also perform much better to aqua planning.

Someone definitely saw you coming today. How much did they make from you?

Two weeks ago.

Why do you think it;s law to have winter tyers on in Germany - Holland - Belgum - France and a host of other nations.

Get it right out of your head that because I have put them on everyone should. All I want to know is how many posters have put winter tyers on.

i drove past arnold clarkes in paisley and they were advertising 4 winter tyres starting from only £270!!!

f**k that i thought, who is daft enough to pay that for 3 or 4 days out the year only to have to pay to get them replaced again.

So, how much did you pay?

Two weeks ago.

Why do you think it;s law to have winter tyers on in Germany - Holland - Belgum - France and a host of other nations.

Get it right out of your head that because I have put them on everyone should. All I want to know is how many posters have put winter tyers on.

Of all the countries named there by you only Germany has a legal requirement for "all season" or "winter tyres" during wintery weather France only requires winter tyres in some areas, ie Alpine regions. All the other countries in Europe who have laws regarding winter tyres are either Baltic region (Germany falls into this category too) or mountainous regions.

Perhaps in the mountain regions of the UK there is a call for them but no need for a law and certainly no need for someone who has just wasted £200-£400 on a set to harrass fellow forum users for not buying them.

http://www.tyremen.co.uk/help-and-advice/european-winter-tyre-laws.aspx

EDIT for correction, after further reading I found that France mandates the use of snow chains and not winter tyres during certain conditions in certain areas. It is also worth pointing out that Germany only requires the use of winter tyres when the road is covered by snow or ice. No need for them on well gritted roads then, £200-£400 seems a waste for a week or two of use.

And to answer your question, I think there is legislation in those countries because certain areas are covered by snow and ice for months at a time during winter.

Certainly if you own a BMW,with big useless low profile tyres or live rurally they do make a big difference but on most cars, you'll get about fine with a bit of care, although some roads are just no go.

To be honest don't see the need for them on my car. I do stick better tyres for snow on as I commute around EK, which is the side of the Himalayas and the tyres the car came with were rubbish in snow. They were a great tyre for dry grip but hardly any tread pattern so you ended up driving with your arse creaking and they liked spinning uselessly too in snow. Now so got all-season ones fitted when they wore out, which are about £10 more than ordinary tyres and I don't need to faff about changing them.

Mind you as long as you keep the car for a number of years and swap sets summer to winter every 6 months it wont' cost you any more as your 2 sets will last longer as your only using them for 6 months each and you'd probably use 2 sets of ordinary tyres in the same period. Still not sure many folk need them.

Got a set of Michelin Alpine tyers though I have to say was gob smacked by the cost. But you can't put a price on safety and after last winter we want to be ready this time.

Most countries on mainland Europe make it law that you must put winter tyers on.

Winter Tyres :unsure:

Got a set of Michelin Alpine tyers though I have to say was gob smacked by the cost.

Surely in Scotland they would sell you ''MacAlpine'' tyers?

My link

The link above shows a video by Auto Express on the benefits of winter tyres. It is quite revealing. They reckon even without snow at any time when temperatures are below 7 degrees Celsius the winter tyres are better.

The Which magazine though does not recommend winter tyres on the basis that in mild winter conditions they are not as good as regular tyres. Other than the past 2 years more often than not we don't get much snow in this country.

Due to the cost I have decided to stick with my summer tyres and just drive safely.

I'm abroad at the moment and have had to buy them- got a set in Croatia. They are mandatory in Slovenia, the Czech Republic and Austria and heavy fines are levied if you don't comply (something like 250 euro in Austria's case if memory serves).

I had to get them fitted in Croatia otherwise they probably wouldn't have let me in Slovenia. Cost was just under £200.

They are also mandatory in Estonia and Finland out of the other countries I've been to; again, massive fine if you refuse. Given the severity of the winter where I last lived in Scotland I'd have considered getting them this winter had I been at home.

I doubt you have snow tyres as they are illegal on UK roads, I daresay you have winter tyres instead.

I have winter tyres on the front of my Insignia and believe me it makes a huge difference, although granted with my line of work I do a lot of off-road driving. To be honest I should probably be driving a 4x4, but after putting winter tyres on the front of the Insignia my car will go anywhere it would do normally now.

It's all fine and well that some of you simply say "being a good driver is all you need", but quite frankly you are wrong and are most likely not subjected to the same conditions as some of the rest of us. In the Highlands there are many roads that are left completely untreated, and our roads aren't exactly the greatest anyway. I'd like to see how many of you lot could make it from the Braemore junction up the hill to Laide on the west coast today without winter tyres or a 4x4.

Another point more in agreeance though, is if you can't drive sensibly and safely on a motorway and major roads etc. during the snow without winter tyres on, then yes you should probably not have a drivers licence.

Archived