Who Has Got Snow Tyers

the way they are described as snow tyres is utter bullshit, no rubber tyre will grip on snow or ice (you need studded tyres for that) what they are is a soft compound rubber which grips better at temperatures below 7 degrees Celsius . You basically get 3 types of road tyre summer, all season and winter. The rubber compound reacts and softens dependent on the road and air temp. Summer tyres are generally a hard compound that takes a lot of heat for them to become sticky and grippy, all season are mediums that will work okay over a wide temp range and then your inter tyres. you can run winter tyres in the heat but the rubber will become so soft at higher temps you will wear them out in no time and tbh they will feel like you are driving on jelly as the rubber blocks in the tread will be moving about so much

Tyre technology really is a black art as there is so many variables, tread patterns, rubber compounds that can make a difference as to how a car performs

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My work van (a Renault Trafic) has all winter tyres on it. Only reason why is because I've driven through Denmark and Austria in the last 2 months and it's conpulsary over there. I could understand if it was made conpulsary here!! My bmw is fuckin murder in the wet so tempted in changing it's tyres.

Bit off topic, but one thing I'd make conpulsary here is lights on at all times, like they do in Denmark! The amount of fannies here that drive in grey drizzle and dusk and dawn times with their lights off is a fuckin joke. Especially those in silver cars, can't see them in your wing mirrors!!

It's compulsory, as in "spellchecking P&B posts should be compulsory".

And as for seeing cars in your wing mirrors, if they're behind me I'm their problem so f**k them.

Agree with your point about poor people driving cars without automatic headlights though.

the way they are described as snow tyres is utter bullshit, no rubber tyre will grip on snow or ice (you need studded tyres for that) what they are is a soft compound rubber which grips better at temperatures below 7 degrees Celsius . You basically get 3 types of road tyre summer, all season and winter. The rubber compound reacts and softens dependent on the road and air temp. Summer tyres are generally a hard compound that takes a lot of heat for them to become sticky and grippy, all season are mediums that will work okay over a wide temp range and then your inter tyres. you can run winter tyres in the heat but the rubber will become so soft at higher temps you will wear them out in no time and tbh they will feel like you are driving on jelly as the rubber blocks in the tread will be moving about so much

Tyre technology really is a black art as there is so many variables, tread patterns, rubber compounds that can make a difference as to how a car performs

All of this.

I tried my BMW in snow. A bit too exciting for my liking. Went out and got winter tyres last November. Had quite a few early mornings when it's been well icy and not had the same "stability" issues I had last November. Conclusive proof? Not really, but every little helps. Only way to really tell is in heavy snow, which we have thankfully avoided.

I bought winters for my Audi as well, and found they worked really well. It was a nightmare in the snow ( had it during the really bad winter of 10/11) so seemed a no brainer as I need my car for work and I live out in the sticks.

All of this.

I tried my BMW in snow. A bit too exciting for my liking. Went out and got winter tyres last November. Had quite a few early mornings when it's been well icy and not had the same "stability" issues I had last November. Conclusive proof? Not really, but every little helps. Only way to really tell is in heavy snow, which we have thankfully avoided.

I bought winters for my Audi as well, and found they worked really well. It was a nightmare in the snow ( had it during the really bad winter of 10/11) so seemed a no brainer as I need my car for work and I live out in the sticks.

What were they like in the summer? Did they wear quicker?

Or did you revert back to normal (summer) tyres.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived