Big Rangers Administration/Liquidation Thread - All chat here!

1. As far as I'm aware, any UEFA-affiliated club could sign a player for free if they are playing with a non-affiliated club. So if Celtic decide to join a rogue SPL, they can kiss goodbye to most of their playing assets.

They can register such a player, yes, but depending on their contract with the (hypothetical) breakaway organisation a messy legal fight could ensue over compensation etc. Above all else such a legal battle would impact the near-invincibility football's special status under labour laws has enjoyed in Europe. If football clubs are now to start arguing that player registration is a matter of personal choice for the player in question, they're arguing against their own interests because the next legal step will be to declare the binding contract/transfer market system an impediment to free trade. It may take a few years but that will be the outcome. That's why I don't think, if (and to clarify, I really don't think this is going to happen, because I think the SFA will welcome a newco Rangers into the SFA as well) such a breakaway scenario emerged, it would be left to its own devices before being re-absorbed in a few years' time.

2. There are 4 other clubs who will play in Europe next season. One of them will play in the Champions League qualifying stages. That could very easily be worth as much to them as having Rangers in next season's SPL.

Based on what? The prize money for the CL is something like £100k at that stage.

Do you want to know what pisses me off the most about this, I said I would go to bed at midnight but I would check P&B before I sleep! <_<

Rangers Tax-Case ‏ @rangerstaxcase

If SPL hit RFC as hard for 2 contracts issue in proportion with SFA, they will be obliterated. 2 contracts & EBT issues much more serious.

Scotsman Football ‏ @scotsman_foot

Rangers takeover: Bill Miller edging closer to Ibrox control http://bit.ly/JrQVuf

( :huh: :huh: :huh: )

BM will surely "do walking away" as soon as he hears of the SFA sanctions as per last week. Looks like he spectacularly misjudged the SFA.

BM will surely "do walking away" as soon as he hears of the SFA sanctions as per last week. Looks like he spectacularly misjudged the SFA.

Or misunderstood how things worked. Which is something Craig Whyte appears to have done too. He could have as many dinners with Ogilvie & Regan as he liked... they weren't going to be the ones making the decision. Ultimately an independent panel is accountable to no-one, and quite possibly aren't even interested in football. There's little room for pressurisation there.

EDIT: That said, it depends on what Miller wants.

They might well get the transfer embargo reduced to, say, 6 months on appeal.

Club fines are chicken-feed in the grand scheme. Rest applies to Whyte.

If Millar sweats it'll be over [1] 12 months embargo standing or [2] SPL being similarly harsh in punishment.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Based on what? The prize money for the CL is something like £100k at that stage.

There would presumably also be TV money, plus the finances from either another round of the CL or more likely the play-off round of the Europa League. Winning 1 out of their 2 ties would see them entering the lucrative Europa League group stages.

Rangers Tax-Case ‏ @rangerstaxcase

If SPL hit RFC as hard for 2 contracts issue in proportion with SFA, they will be obliterated. 2 contracts & EBT issues much more serious.

Scotsman Football ‏ @scotsman_foot

Rangers takeover: Bill Miller edging closer to Ibrox control http://bit.ly/JrQVuf

( :huh: :huh: :huh: )

What are you trying to prove with that link to the Scotsman? I think he's had one of his core questions pretty well answered:

“Bill Miller is seeking to get clarity from the football authorities with regard to a once-and-for-all level of penalties” – that is, points reductions or other punishments of Rangers – “that might apply in the event of him going ahead with his bid.

The SFA have sent a message. They're fining Rangers (who are in no position to pay) a modest amount and putting a ridiculous embargo in place - an embargo I don't see lasting past June. The rest is for Whyte. Looks like plain sailing to Miller to me.

What are you trying to prove with that link to the Scotsman? I think he's had one of his core questions pretty well answered:

The SFA have sent a message. They're fining Rangers (who are in no position to pay) a modest amount and putting a ridiculous embargo in place - an embargo I don't see lasting past June. The rest is for Whyte. Looks like plain sailing to Miller to me.

I'm not trying to "prove" anything you joyless, grumpy bugger.

I'm merely putting up articles which some readers (who don't look at twitter) may find interesting.

Miller's bid for Rangers was based on the assumption of a token one-off punishment which hasn't transpired (whatever youyr pessimistic conjecture about how things may play out).

There would presumably also be TV money,

Unless they get to Q4 and luck out with a good draw, a piddling amount - and nowhere near what Rangers would bring over the course of two visits in a season.

plus the finances from either another round of the CL or more likely the play-off round of the Europa League. Winning 1 out of their 2 ties would see them entering the lucrative Europa League group stages.

That's a good point, but it's highly speculative. And above all else, it's for one season. We've seen Aberdeen and Hearts (of the non-OF clubs) reach the group stage in recent years - would they trade that one year, financially speaking*, for the certainty of a solid away gate two or three times a season? Not a chance.

*Fans certainly would for memory, I'd imagine. Certainly Aberdeen fans. Beating Copenhagen and running Bayern close are memories that will live long, I'm sure.

I'm not trying to "prove" anything you joyless, grumpy bugger.

Well, no, I'm not sitting here sniggering like Muttley about this news, because the SFA have tonight really not done anything much at all. I'm genuinely stunned that otherwise well-informed posters are looking at this as some kind of vindication - some kind of meaningful punishment against Rangers. A twelve-month registration embargo that would apply to a newco? Do me a favour.

I'm merely putting up articles which some readers (who don't look at twitter) may find interesting.

You said this right after the link:

"BM will surely "do walking away" as soon as he hears of the SFA sanctions as per last week. Looks like he spectacularly misjudged the SFA."

What I said in response was that the link indicates the exact opposite. He wanted clarification about the SFA's intentions. He claims - I don't know if he's telling the truth or not - that he'd already had confidential and preliminary discussions with the SFA. If we take that at face value (a big if, granted), it looks like he's had his answer. A non-payable fine, a non-workable embargo - oh, and a three day appeal window in case they want to try getting it down to six months.

Miller's bid for Rangers was based on the assumption of a token one-off punishment which hasn't transpired (whatever youyr pessimistic conjecture about how things may play out).

Sorry - am I to assume that the SFA have a double-secret punishment in the works?

Or misunderstood how things worked. Which is something Craig Whyte appears to have done too. He could have as many dinners with Ogilvie & Regan as he liked... they weren't going to be the ones making the decision. Ultimately an independent panel is accountable to no-one, and quite possibly aren't even interested in football. There's little room for pressurisation there.

If Millar sweats it'll be over [1] 12months standing or [2] SPL similarly harsh.

Do you not think the revelation of the dinner between Whyte and Regan needs investigated? improper conduct if assurances given to Whyte.

If Millar sweats it'll be over [1] 12 months embargo standing or [2] SPL being similarly harsh in punishment.

I assume the SPL are only going to issue one punishment per season? If so, it will all hinge on how quickly Miller can get his CVA through, surely?

HJ, you mentioned earlier that the SFA have never fined a club for going into admin. Did they say why they've chosen to fine Rangers in this instance?