Big Rangers Administration/Liquidation Thread - All chat here!

From today's Herald. Worth a full quote I think :-

Tuesday 10 July 2012

Morton chairman launches scathing attack on Scottish football's top brass

DOUGLAS RAE, the Morton chairman, has sent a strongly worded letter to the chairmen of each Scottish Football League club criticising what Stewart Regan, the Scottish Football Association chief executive, and his counterpart at the Scottish Premier League, Neil Doncaster, said at last week's SFL meeting.

Representatives from the 30 lower-league clubs came together at Hampden last Tuesday and were addressed by Regan and Doncaster regarding the implications of voting Rangers newco into the Irn-Bru First or Third Divisions.

In his letter yesterday, Rae lambasted the contribution made by Doncaster, in particular, saying he "seemed to many to be a man who had lost his way and [is] unable to get back on the right road".

Doncaster had outlined that SFL clubs would put at risk six top-flight clubs unless they voted to install Rangers in the first division. They are scheduled to meet to decide the issue at a special general meeting on Friday.

The Morton chairman reiterated the assertion made by third-division club Clyde that Regan had lied about the SFA's stance on a proposal to install Rangers in the SPL, a motion defeated last week by 10-1 in a vote by top-flight clubs. He also alighted upon a common theme in lamenting the existence of three governing bodies in Scottish football, expressing a wish that the authorities be merged.

"Scottish Football League clubs are being placed in an intolerable position by the SFA and the overwhelming decision by the SPL to refuse to admit newco Rangers into the Premier League," wrote Rae, whose club will be represented on Friday by chief executive Gillian Donaldson, as Rae remains on holiday. "I was very disappointed indeed with the input of the two visiting officials at the SFL meeting, which lasted some five hours. The visitors were Stuart [sic] Regan, chief executive of the SFA and Neil Doncaster, chief executive of the SPL.

"Neil Doncaster was a man who didn't appreciate that the current problem relative to newco Rangers, and which league they should be playing in next season, is exclusively the problem of the SPL and little do to with the SFL.

"Neil was totally unable to get his clubs to accept the decision going forward that he wanted. Following that mammoth failure, Neil now expects the SFL clubs to bail him out, which would mean SFL clubs ignoring the views of their supporters. Never have I known supporters to be more single-minded than how they feel over this newco Rangers drama. Quite frankly, Neil Doncaster seemed to many to be a man who had lost his way and [is] unable to get back on the right road.

"The SPL CEO made scant contribution other than trying to impress clubs that if we did not vote newco Rangers into the SFL Division One, financial disaster of epic proportions would be the experience many clubs would suffer. His forecast was that up to six SPL clubs could go 'bust' if the SFL clubs did not follow his advice to back newco Rangers."

Rae was only marginally more impressed with the presentation of Regan, who last week delivered a withering forecast of the state of Scottish football should Rangers newco not be allowed to enter the first division.

Last week Clyde revealed that Regan had intended to block Rangers' entry to the SPL should clubs have opened the door to them, although it stated that his comment had been delivered in such a way that it came across as "less than an absolute statement".

However, Rae indicates he pressed Regan on his comment, and he reiterated that the governing body would have blocked Rangers' path into the top flight. He also explained that such a decision was kept from the clubs for "greater effect".

The letter continued: "The most concerning point about Regan's presentation was he departed truth as he became increasingly desperate to get his viewpoints accepted. When asked what would have happened if SPL clubs had voted newco Rangers entry to the Premier League, he stated that the SFA would block it. I asked why that point had not been made known to the clubs prior to the meeting. Stuart stated that sometimes points are withheld until the last moment for greater effect. I asked, through the chair, if I could ask Regan to repeat what he had said about 'blocking'. He responded by repeating what he had said minutes before; namely that the SFA would block any result that would see newco Rangers entering the SPL.

"The following day Stuart countermanded in the press what he had told the SFL meeting the previous day.

"It is very disappointing the SFA chief executive was unable to give a truthful response to SFL chairmen."

Rae then revealed his desire for Scottish football to be governed by a single body, headed by current SFL chief executive David Longmuir.

"Scottish football is in crisis and needs a man of honesty, vision and strength at the helm - David Longmuir. David addressed the meeting last week and gave a clear picture of how he saw the way ahead for our clubs - and was the only one of these three speakers who spoke with clarity and which he managed to do without misleading the chairmen.

"I am sure I am not the only chairman who considers it absurd to have three organisations looking after Scottish football. There should be one organisation looking after all aspects of our game."

The SPL and SFA chose not to comment on Rae's letter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am Morton !!!

It's not the mere fact of the SFL having to take a vote - it's the fact that the SPL, having been unable to vote for Newco, are now heavily pressurising the SFL into bailing them out by taking the decision that they were unable to.

(Or at least, the SPL's Chief Executive is applying such pressure. If he's gone off-piste and is acting without the authority of his member clubs then I'd have expected to have heard some of those clubs having something to say about it by now.)

I understand that point entirely, but even before the suggestion that there was any pressure, there was this idea that the SPL were effectively forcing the SFL teams into making the decision because they didn't have the balls too.

Even Douglas Rae came out with this

Scottish Football League clubs are being placed in an intolerable position by the SFA and the overwhelming decision by the SPL to refuse to admit newco Rangers into the Premier League

Regardless of any other reasons (fan pressure etc), the SPL clubs effectively refused the application on the grounds of their own rules. It is now up to the SFL teams to do the same.

I suppose it just needs to be put down to pisspoor reporting, like 99% of this story!

It's not the mere fact of the SFL having to take a vote - it's the fact that the SPL, having been unable to vote for Newco, are now heavily pressurising the SFL into bailing them out by taking the decision that they were unable to.

(Or at least, the SPL's Chief Executive is applying such pressure. If he's gone off-piste and is acting without the authority of his member clubs then I'd have expected to have heard some of those clubs having something to say about it by now.)

That's the thing that causes some concern. The 'It wisnae me a big Cockwomble did it an' ran awa' defence is unlikely to work if a more forensic analysis shows the SPL's hand on this. Bottom line for me will be the 'deal' put before the SFL clubs on Friday; if it includes and additional playy-off place between SFL1 and the SPL it will stink of collusion and behind-closed-door deals.

I have a bit of an issue with the suggestion that the SPL clubs have passed the buck in this situation.

Had Newco decided not to apply for the share transfer, the SFL would still have had a decision to make. And let's be honest, any SFL chairman who didn't think they would have some sort of say in this must believe everything he reads in the Record.

I agree with you completely. It's absoltue dereliction of duty from some SFL chairmen and fans to bleat about this being an SPL problem foisted upon them. That is only the case if they vote the wrong way.

The SPL have made their decision. That was the extent of their involvement in this process. They now no longer have a dog in the fight, whether they privately want Newco to be in Div One or not.

The SFL chairmen have a decision to make. It's a simple one, made more difficult by the threats and inducements offered by Reagan and Doncaster. They should stick to their guns.

Someone put this in more detail earlier in the thread, but obviously the running costs of Murray Park, Ibrox and associated offices/buildings costs exactly the same to run no matter what division the newco would be playing in. The earlier poster also pointed out that while facing all those running costs - Rangers had Champions League income, or Europa League income, had 50,000 home gates, bigger visiting supports, Sky money, and an almost guaranteed SPL cheque for finishing first or second.... and they still ended up in the shitter.

If they are shoehorned into Div 1 (seemingly against the wishes now of a large percentage of their own fans too), I don't see how that generates such a massive amount of income for the newco club, that it could possibly make much of a difference to their ability to meet their massive overheads.

I remain extremely concerned about the vote on Friday - but if they do get voted into Div 1, I think Doncaster & Regan will see it as a 'job done', then they'll either be sacked or will GTF anyway.... and Sevco XI will 'do a Portsmouth' and implode twice - leaving Scottish football TOTALLY fcuked in the head. Meanwhile, Doncaster & Regan will have ridden the fcuk out of Dodge and won't care a jot.

It's surely clearly obvious that Doncaster & Regan's agenda here is not for the betterment of Scottish football - it's to keep their CV in order for their next gig. The concern of course is are they loose cannons acting alone, or are they loose cannons with an entire league of SPL chairmen in on their little game?

What are the running costs of Ibrox etc?

What is the current player wage bill?

How many players do the have?

What is the current non playing staff wage bill?

How many non playing staff do they have?

How much do they save if they pay 25 players £1500 a week?

If they intend on paying players 10's of £000's a week they won't be able to cover it obviously.

Edited by ayrmad

It's a contractual arrangement, which the SPL are bound to honour.

If the SPL were to refuse to honour their contractual obligations. then the SFL could, quite rightly, take them to court, and if necessary, have the SPL liquidated in the end if they refused to pay up.

I believe there is a clause that allows the SPL to withold the payment should it require the money to pay its own teams. They would undoubtedly envoke this if Newco go to Div 3. Its not good but get out clauses are rarely good for both sides.

Edited by ADMITCHELL

A Spartans spokesman said yesterday

"As it stands there is no current vacancy in the SFL. But it's clearly something that is changing on a daily basis and is a real moveable feast.

SPARTANS director of football Andy Nixon

Interesting turn of phrase.....:P

I believe there is a clause that allows the SPL to withold the payment should it require the money to pay its own teams. They would undoubtedly envoke this if Newco go to Div 3. Its not good but get out clauses are rarely good for both sides.

What is the source of this belief? The Daily Record? The Sun? Jim Traynor? Neil Doncaster? Or something more reliable?

I have a bit of an issue with the suggestion that the SPL clubs have passed the buck in this situation.

Had Newco decided not to apply for the share transfer, the SFL would still have had a decision to make. And let's be honest, any SFL chairman who didn't think they would have some sort of say in this must believe everything he reads in the Record.

The SPL clubs according to an article by the Morton chairman in todays Herald says the SPL were told by Regan that if Newco were admitted to the SPL the SFA would have applied a veto.

Integrity never came into the equation hence the 'principled' stance by the SPL - bullsh*t of the highest order.

That's the thing that causes some concern. The 'It wisnae me a big Cockwomble did it an' ran awa' defence is unlikely to work if a more forensic analysis shows the SPL's hand on this. Bottom line for me will be the 'deal' put before the SFL clubs on Friday; if it includes and additional playy-off place between SFL1 and the SPL it will stink of collusion and behind-closed-door deals.

It's very much like "David Murray/Craig Whyte/The Devil did it, not the club".

If Doncaster has been pushing his own agenda and ignoring the clubs, he should be sacked. I can understand (just) the SPL not wanting to get rid of him while there is this sh*tstorm, but if he is still in a job post-Friday 13th, the SPL clubs have some real questions to answer.

The SPL clubs according to an article by the Morton chairman in todays Herald says the SPL were told by Regan that if Newco were admitted to the SPL the SFA would have applied a veto.

Integrity never came into the equation hence the 'principled' stance by the SPL - bullsh*t of the highest order.

Well presumably the same veto will be applied as to D1...

Not seen this anywhere, but the Stenhousemuir thread on the SFL2 Board. It's from the Telegraph. If true, does it not change everything in that it strips the SFA/SPL of their principle weapon in bullying the SFL clubs? It also would mean that the officers in charge have simply lied.

Rangers in crisis: SFL clubs unfazed by Neil Doncaster's scare tactics

Scottish Football League clubs are prepared to call Neil Doncaster's bluff by refusing to grant the SFL board permission to launch Charles Green's newco Rangers into the First Division.

doncaster_2271961b.jpgDeal or no deal? Neil Doncaster is pressuring SFL clubs to allow the Rangers newco to begin life in the First Division Photo: PA By Ewing Grahame

10:30PM BST 09 Jul 2012

comments.gif35 Comments

The Scottish Premier League's chief executive addressed a meeting of the SFL clubs last week and made the threat that the SPL would be unable to afford to pay the annual settlement agreement a sum worth around £2 million unless Sevco Scotland Ltd were allowed to begin life in the second tier.

Such an outcome would, it's argued, protect the new, as yet unsigned, Sky TV deal assuming, that is, that the new Glasgow club were able to win promotion next season.

However, Raith Rovers director Eric Drysdale a member of the SFA's independent judicial panel which fined Rangers £160,000 and imposed a 12-month transfer embargo on them has pointed out to Doncaster that the settlement agreement is a legally binding contractual obligation and that payment is not optional.

The agreement was introduced as compensation to the SFL when the 10 biggest clubs in the country broke away to form the new body in 1998. The original payment was £1.4 million but that has risen in line with the Retail Price Index to its current amount and it must be paid in perpetuity.

Should the SPL's income fall below the £6 million earned by the SFL in 1998 that payment may be reduced but not abandoned.

It is understood that the SPL must make the payment before distributing the rest of its income to its members, in which case failure to comply with the agreement would effectively mean that the SPL was bankrupt.

Consequently, the SFL's clubs can vote on Rangers' application at Hampden on Friday without fear of having to make do without valuable income from the top tier.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Must admit I thought it was a done deal and it was Sevco in the first and who cared what the uber diddies thought. Feeling a tad more upbeat this morning although I think recent comments from Morton and Thomson will ultimately only improve the settlement offer from Cockwomble and Regan.

I said at the weekend that Thistle had lost a ST and a Gold centenary membership because of Regan`s statement and that remains the case, It was the only statement I could make and I`ve sent countless emails to anyone I thought was involved in this mess.

The other side of the coin though is that if anyone had offered me a weakened and impoverished sevco in the first division three months ago I`d have bitten their hands off. Add in a second play off/promotion place and I`d have partied with lashings of jelly and ice cream.

I can`t just quit the jags cold turkey and I`ll pay at the gate next season. The only consolation I can take is that we have had victories over the last couple of months.

If this suggests i`ve already made a personal accomodation in anticipation of Friday`s vote then I could`nt argue.

Surely as a lower league club chairman, if you are told that 6 clubs ahead of you in scottish football could go to the wall if you didnt vote newco into the 1st division, you wouldnt vote them in!!!

It would mean that your own club would move up and at the very least if/when these clubs become Newcos you would get their away fans coming to your ground.

From today's Herald. Worth a full quote I think :-

Tuesday 10 July 2012

Morton chairman launches scathing attack on Scottish football's top brass

DOUGLAS RAE, the Morton chairman, has sent a strongly worded letter to the chairmen of each Scottish Football League club criticising what Stewart Regan, the Scottish Football Association chief executive, and his counterpart at the Scottish Premier League, Neil Doncaster, said at last week's SFL meeting.

Representatives from the 30 lower-league clubs came together at Hampden last Tuesday and were addressed by Regan and Doncaster regarding the implications of voting Rangers newco into the Irn-Bru First or Third Divisions.

In his letter yesterday, Rae lambasted the contribution made by Doncaster, in particular, saying he "seemed to many to be a man who had lost his way and [is] unable to get back on the right road".

Doncaster had outlined that SFL clubs would put at risk six top-flight clubs unless they voted to install Rangers in the first division. They are scheduled to meet to decide the issue at a special general meeting on Friday.

The Morton chairman reiterated the assertion made by third-division club Clyde that Regan had lied about the SFA's stance on a proposal to install Rangers in the SPL, a motion defeated last week by 10-1 in a vote by top-flight clubs. He also alighted upon a common theme in lamenting the existence of three governing bodies in Scottish football, expressing a wish that the authorities be merged.

"Scottish Football League clubs are being placed in an intolerable position by the SFA and the overwhelming decision by the SPL to refuse to admit newco Rangers into the Premier League," wrote Rae, whose club will be represented on Friday by chief executive Gillian Donaldson, as Rae remains on holiday. "I was very disappointed indeed with the input of the two visiting officials at the SFL meeting, which lasted some five hours. The visitors were Stuart [sic] Regan, chief executive of the SFA and Neil Doncaster, chief executive of the SPL.

"Neil Doncaster was a man who didn't appreciate that the current problem relative to newco Rangers, and which league they should be playing in next season, is exclusively the problem of the SPL and little do to with the SFL.

"Neil was totally unable to get his clubs to accept the decision going forward that he wanted. Following that mammoth failure, Neil now expects the SFL clubs to bail him out, which would mean SFL clubs ignoring the views of their supporters. Never have I known supporters to be more single-minded than how they feel over this newco Rangers drama. Quite frankly, Neil Doncaster seemed to many to be a man who had lost his way and [is] unable to get back on the right road.

"The SPL CEO made scant contribution other than trying to impress clubs that if we did not vote newco Rangers into the SFL Division One, financial disaster of epic proportions would be the experience many clubs would suffer. His forecast was that up to six SPL clubs could go 'bust' if the SFL clubs did not follow his advice to back newco Rangers."

Rae was only marginally more impressed with the presentation of Regan, who last week delivered a withering forecast of the state of Scottish football should Rangers newco not be allowed to enter the first division.

Last week Clyde revealed that Regan had intended to block Rangers' entry to the SPL should clubs have opened the door to them, although it stated that his comment had been delivered in such a way that it came across as "less than an absolute statement".

However, Rae indicates he pressed Regan on his comment, and he reiterated that the governing body would have blocked Rangers' path into the top flight. He also explained that such a decision was kept from the clubs for "greater effect".

The letter continued: "The most concerning point about Regan's presentation was he departed truth as he became increasingly desperate to get his viewpoints accepted. When asked what would have happened if SPL clubs had voted newco Rangers entry to the Premier League, he stated that the SFA would block it. I asked why that point had not been made known to the clubs prior to the meeting. Stuart stated that sometimes points are withheld until the last moment for greater effect. I asked, through the chair, if I could ask Regan to repeat what he had said about 'blocking'. He responded by repeating what he had said minutes before; namely that the SFA would block any result that would see newco Rangers entering the SPL.

"The following day Stuart countermanded in the press what he had told the SFL meeting the previous day.

"It is very disappointing the SFA chief executive was unable to give a truthful response to SFL chairmen."

Rae then revealed his desire for Scottish football to be governed by a single body, headed by current SFL chief executive David Longmuir.

"Scottish football is in crisis and needs a man of honesty, vision and strength at the helm - David Longmuir. David addressed the meeting last week and gave a clear picture of how he saw the way ahead for our clubs - and was the only one of these three speakers who spoke with clarity and which he managed to do without misleading the chairmen.

"I am sure I am not the only chairman who considers it absurd to have three organisations looking after Scottish football. There should be one organisation looking after all aspects of our game."

The SPL and SFA chose not to comment on Rae's letter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've jovially called MJ agent Johnston in the past, that piece makes me wonder if he is an Ayr fan.

Why on earth did he abstain? Given the choices:

(a) Vote YES, get wrath of the fans and they're not allowed into the SPL anyway.

(b)Vote NO, keep fans happy and they're not allowed into SPL anyway.

©ABSTAIN, pisses of the fans and they're not allowed into the SPL anyway.

Edited by ayrmad