Friday Night Lights

Mallo_Madrid

Seems a decent enough show. I've just finished the book, although the programme has only loose ties to it, and it's ridiculous how important high school football is seein in Texas. I know the Americans have a completely differen approach to school sports than us but in the book the football is taking precedence over just about everything else - including the education system.

Google Permain Panthers, who the book is about, and see what the set up is like!

Seems a decent enough show. I've just finished the book, although the programme has only loose ties to it, and it's ridiculous how important high school football is seein in Texas. I know the Americans have a completely differen approach to school sports than us but in the book the football is taking precedence over just about everything else - including the education system.

Google Permain Panthers, who the book is about, and see what the set up is like!

There's also a movie based on the same book, but it's not linked to the TV Show in any other way other than that. It's excellent and is right up there with Remember The Titans and Any Given Sunday. Fans of the show should definitely give it a watch.

Edited by cityfan

• 1 month later...

There's also a movie based on the same book, but it's not linked to the TV Show in any other way other than that. It's excellent and is right up there with Remember The Titans and Any Given Sunday. Fans of the show should definitely give it a watch.

Also remember a film called Varsity Blues which although enjoyable must have been a complete rip-off of Friday Night Lights,

In small-town Texas, high school football is a religion. The head coach is

deified, as long as the team is winning and 17-year-old schoolboys carry the

hopes of an entire community onto the gridiron every Friday night.

Sound familiar???

Still worth watching though, whatever happened to James Van Der Beek? He was going to be the next big thing and he just disappeared!!!

Anyway still watching and enjoying Friday Night Lights, but I am wondering if I would have kept with it if I hadn't watched American Horror Story first as I think I am infatuated with Connie Britton!!!

Any Producers of a TV series requiring a big-breasted MILF as a regular character must have her number on speed-dial, she owns these roles!!!

I have watched all 5 seasons of this (twice) and it is easily one of my favourite TV sites of all time, definitely worth sticking with!

Indeed, just finished watching the whole thing last night.

Easily one of the best series I've watched. Loved how it recreated itself after the third season, actually made me hate the Panthers. I think Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton were excellent in this. I know she did AHS afterwards but has he done anything else? Also noticed the guy who played Tim is in the new Battleship film.

I feel sad it's all over. Might go watch it again.

• 3 months later...

Just finished the first season on Sky Atlantic. Definatly one of my favourite programs at the minute.

Is the second series on straight after the first?

Starts next Tuesday :D

I'm not gonna lie though, the ending of the first season did seem far too clichéd for my liking.

They find out that day before the coach is leaving, go 4 touchdowns down by halftime, Coach comes out with inspiring speech, one player dislocates shoulder but still plays on after popping it back in, have a dash a last ditch touchdown in the dying seconds while running some audacious play.

I mean come on!!!

Starts next Tuesday :D

I'm not gonna lie though, the ending of the first season did seem far too clichéd for my liking.

They find out that day before the coach is leaving, go 4 touchdowns down by halftime, Coach comes out with inspiring speech, one player dislocates shoulder but still plays on after popping it back in, have a dash a last ditch touchdown in the dying seconds while running some audacious play.

I mean come on!!!

Totally agree. There was no shock value at all when they pulled it off - it would have been a more intriguing ending if they hadn't managed that final touchdown. Not sure where they go from here.

Looks like the guy in the wheelchair will be the new boss - the other coaches should be getting him telt as he's only been their five minutes!

Totally agree. There was no shock value at all when they pulled it off - it would have been a more intriguing ending if they hadn't managed that final touchdown. Not sure where they go from here.

Looks like the guy in the wheelchair will be the new boss - the other coaches should be getting him telt as he's only been their five minutes!

Yup. I thought it with being done over a few seasons they would have done a Rocky with the first season and been glorious losers or something. Typical American happy ending with nothing but the comedown paradox.

And that he's the same age as everyone in the team! It's like he's all of a sudden aged 3 or 4 years ahead of everyone. I don't if he'll be coach right away. They'll probably give it to the boy that was almost sacked for being a racist. There's no doubt he'll be involved though.

I'm just waiting for a scene where they'll play "All kinds of Time" by Fountains of Wayne, which is the perfect song for the quarterback immortality moment. The Lyrics are perfect for it and I'll bet my right arm that it comes up eventually. I'm surprised they haven't done it sooner.

• 4 months later...

Does Varsity Blues not feature some rather attractive blond lassy wearing whipped cream?

Yes, Ali Larter who went on to star in Heroes and a couple of Resident Evil films among other things.

Ali_Larter_varsity_blues.jpg

Currently about 6 episodes into series 2, terrific entertainment and I like the way the characters are evolving, still running about 10 episodes behind what is on Sky Atlantic so I'll need to get the finger out and catch up. It's now available on the Sky on demand thing so you can download it without the adverts.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

^^^ as above!!!

Since Sky Atlantic started showing this back to back from Episode 01, Season 01 I have been hooked!!!

It may have been mentioned earlier, (probably by me :ph34r:), but Connie Britton is a couple of the biggest contributing factors towards the shows popularity in my house!!!

Connie+Britton+Creative+Coalition+2009+I

:wub::wub: :wub:

Love FNL, one of the few shows me and the wife both enjoy!

Coach and Riggins are two of my favourite characters of all time on TV, the growth in Riggins has been one of the best things about the show.

Just about to start watching Season 5, gutted I only have 13 episodes to go.