whisky lovers

Not a fan of any of the Glenfiddichs - all fire water.

Glenfiddich 12 will always have a fond place in my heart. First whisky I remember properly enjoying, previously I had drank it when given some but never chose to drink it, got given a bottle of Glenfiddich as a thank you present and realised I was really enjoying it.

That and Highland Park are my two go to whiskies. Consistently enjoyable and I have a bottle of at least one of them basically at all times. I've not really got refined taste buds when it comes to whisky, but I always enjoy those two.

9 hours ago, Mozzamozza said:

Somebody recommend me a Japanese whisky.

I've money burning a whisky shaped hole in my pocket.

I've tried Yamazaki 12 & 18.

Both were very good and it was interesting to try them but I'd only buy again if they were in a sale.

10 hours ago, Mozzamozza said:

Somebody recommend me a Japanese whisky.

I've money burning a whisky shaped hole in my pocket.

Bang for buck you cannot buy better than Nikka's "From the barrel". In an age of over priced Japanese whisky it remains great value. I saw it for only £31 in Oddbins Glasgow just yesterday! It is a blend, but don't let that put you off as it has aged, Yoichi and Miyagikyo in addition to the grain.

Avoid the Suntory NAS Yamazaki and Hakushu that are £45 in Sainsburys - horrible young nonsense. The equivalent Nikka (Yoichi and Miyagikyo) are decent though. The Taketsuru pure malt blend at 21 is stunning if you can find it. The 17 is also good. I've seen the Yamazaki 12 in Luvians at £65 ish which isn't too bad these days. The 18 is cracking but you'll be lucky to find it anywhere, plus it will be £250+

Finally Hibiki 12 in tesco riverside for £40 right now. 

As you can guess quite like my Japanese whisky me.

Good plan Mozza.

i'm looking to buy a couple of daily drams to replace some recently finished bottles. Would like one peaty/Islay/coastal and one lighter, sweeter and more fruity. They need to be under £50 each. What would P&B recommend? 

Edited by Munter

16 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

In the market for a good cask strength. £50 max. I like A'Bhunadh as previously discussed but not keen on buying repeat bottles atm as I want to try and get round a few different.

Thoughts?

If you like a' Bunadh then give the Glenlivet Nadurra a go.

If you can stretch to 60 odd I couldn't recommend Talisker 57° North enough.

16 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

In the market for a good cask strength. £50 max. I like A'Bhunadh as previously discussed but not keen on buying repeat bottles atm as I want to try and get round a few different.

Thoughts?

Talisker is very midly peated. Nothing like an Islay but just enough.

Not tried the Gelfarclas but it gets good press.

I know what you mean about Glenlivet, I really can't take to standard editions of speysides but the speciality stuff likethe cask strengths and balvennies double wood and Caribbean cask are amongst my favourites.

This all reminds me the missus bought me a bottle of the cask strength Machrie Moor when we were on arran which is their peated edition.

Shite. Tastes like a cow byre.

If you like a' Bunadh then give the Glenlivet Nadurra a go.

If you can stretch to 60 odd I couldn't recommend Talisker 57° North enough.

Depends on which version of Nadurra you go for. The Aged version (16 y.o) is still available, but the non age statement version isn't very good at all, because essentially they were just churning it out to increase sales.

I so nearly got a bottle of the Talisker 57 in duty free the other day, but just couldn't justify the price.

18 hours ago, Munter said:

Good plan Mozza.

i'm looking to buy a couple of daily drams to replace some recently finished bottles. Would like one peaty/Islay/coastal and one lighter, sweeter and more fruity. They need to be under £50 each. What would P&B recommend? 

Very slightly over £50 but Bowmore Darkest would be my pick of Islay malt.

9 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I had a Nikka a couple of weeks ago for the first time. Thought it was pretty average tbh. 

What does this even mean? Nikka produce lots of whisky of different styles. Some is by admission fairly bland if you like heavily peated malts, but I'd say they are one of the most consistent whisky producers right now. They own multiple distilleries so perhaps try a Yoichi (peated) rather than a pure malt, or one of the red, black, white blends which I suspect you have had.

6 hours ago, Munter said:

What does this even mean? Nikka produce lots of whisky of different styles. Some is by admission fairly bland if you like heavily peated malts, but I'd say they are one of the most consistent whisky producers right now. They own multiple distilleries so perhaps try a Yoichi (peated) rather than a pure malt, or one of the red, black, white blends which I suspect you have had.

It was intended as a wee joke because Mozza had been waiting ages and was desperate to try a Nikka.