whisky lovers

16 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

PX Cask? I've yet to try a Laphroaig I don't like, but this ones new to me... What's the PX all about? Price of a bottle?

Oh man, you'll love it. I'm a big fan of Islay malts, and have had a few of these. It's a travel retail exclusive so if you go through airports or are on your holidays pick up a bottle. Apologies if this is egg sucking but the PX refers to Pedro Ximenez, a very rich sweet intense Spanish sherry. ( I'd recommend that as well, chilled from the fridge) . So a sherry finished whisky but not like tradition sherry finishes .( not so much Christmas cake and raisins)   I really like the combination of smoke and sweetness. 

Lagavulin are doing a distillers edition that you can get in tescos that has a PX finish as well. Think it's quite new.  It's about £80 a bottle.  Demolished one of them as well. Really  like the intense flavour you get from this.

Also had a Ben Riach PX. It's a different type of sweetness, and I think works really well with the fuller bodied / more intensely flavoured whisky out there. 

Hope you're able to get your hands on one of these , just great drinking! 

Edit for spelling , I have been drinking ! 

Edited by Reverend Maynard

I'm just trying a limited edition Bunnahabhain. It's only 7yo but it's spent that time in an Oloroso sherry cask.

The first sip nearly took the top of my nut off (it's something like 58%) however a splash or two of water has made it really good. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 27 July 2016 at 21:26, Bairnardo said:

Arrived, bang for buck wise, absolutely superb. Nice dram and can feel the alcohol glow behind it. Whole litre to mow through for 42 notes... Unbeatable

Only just got round to cracking open my 105 now. Decent stuff for the price. Not surprisingly it isn't a patch on the 21 I got but to get cask strength at that price is pretty rare.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Bottle of Bruichladdich "Classic Laddie" headed my way next week for my birthday. Will be sure to pass on my thoughts since I havent tried it before.

Happy birthday.

it was mine this week and my work gives £50 booze vouchers.

I used them to get this http://www.worldwhiskiesawards.com/bunnahabhain-18-years-old.19374.html

Lovely.

Finally tried that Penderyn Welsh whisky last night. It's cheap as chips in Asda right now, and I thought worth having as a curiosity. 

I was pleasantly surprised. It's young, very light, and while not complex a very nice sip. It reminded me favourably of the more decent rye and corn whiskies from the colonies. It's not a fancypants layered affair, but we'd just eaten 4 courses and drunk a considerable wedge of wine, so it was just the thing. 

Being in Thurso just now, I thought it would only be fair to try their new 'Wolfburn' effort. Far peatier than I expected (on the nose anyway), but not actually that bad. Evidently very young, just lacking a bit of flavour in the throat rather than all going up the back of the nose.

6/10

Being in Thurso just now, I thought it would only be fair to try their new 'Wolfburn' effort. Far peatier than I expected (on the nose anyway), but not actually that bad. Evidently very young, just lacking a bit of flavour in the throat rather than all going up the back of the nose.

6/10

What pub are you in? The Comm bar?