whisky lovers

Tastes very alcoholy, really harsh tasting. Added a fair bit of water and its become a lot more drinkeable. I could imagine a 12 year old being quite nice.

If it's cask strength you can dilute to as much as 25% water.

The last cask 6 year old I had was Arrans machrie moor and it was fucking rank.

If it's cask strength you can dilute to as much as 25% water.

The last cask 6 year old I had was Arrans machrie moor and it was fucking rank.

This is pretty poor tbh. Might have to use this as a cocktail whisky.

Finishing off my Jura with some chocolate orange, thanks.

I seem to have about 4 bottles with a couple of drams left in each. Could be here for the duration.

I'm in the same boat. About to move house as well so I had better finish them off before I leave really.

Iv heard whisky buffs talking about low temp inhibiting flavour. Dont know if I buy that patter. Not into drinks snobbery really its just personal preference but I like a cube or two which melts and provides the water. When its a cask strength tho I add water and leave off the ice so it doesnt get watery.

It absolutely inhibits the flavour. For the same reason you don't serve red wine, cheese or chocolate from a fridge.

If you don't mind that then fair enough each to their own.

You can go back and see 50 page fights on this thread with different views though.

ETA also personal preference but 1 or 2 ice cubes is far too much water.

All that said my drinking mate who has as much whisky knowledge as anyone takes an ice cube.

Edited by invergowrie arab

Mmm, I do like it. Not got a great deal of the last bottle left either and was half considering buying another anyway. Apparently they asked the resident whisky expert (and only other Scot) at my work what they should get me and he told them to get that one. Good choice.

Is there much of a variation between batches? This one is 55, other one is 53. Will there likely be any noticeable difference?

Went to 'The Whisky Experience' in Kirkaswald last Sunday. A good day out. Got to try 5 different malts I hadn't heard of before. A Japanese one being my favourite but its name escapes me.

They were telling us the right way to drink malt is just a tiny dash of water. No ice, no tap water. It has to be distilled spring water which incidentally was onsale in their shop for £12.

ETA

Heading over to Arran next week, is their 18 year old on sale yet?

5 hours ago, .Stuart. said:

Went to 'The Whisky Experience' in Kirkaswald last Sunday. A good day out. Got to try 5 different malts I hadn't heard of before. A Japanese one being my favourite but its name escapes me.

They were telling us the right way to drink malt is just a tiny dash of water. No ice, no tap water. It has to be distilled spring water which incidentally was onsale in their shop for £12.

ETA

Heading over to Arran next week, is their 18 year old on sale yet?

Yes and it's very good.

I've three whiskies in my collection now.

Singleton of Dufftown.

Glenlivet, Founders Reserve

Ardhu

I plan on not finishing off any of them until i have a few more collected then one of the days just "go along the gantry" and get toasted.

The missus got me 5 little vials of different whiskies last year whilst a great idea could easily have been done in someones kitchen for cheap enough then sold for megabucks.

I still have one of the vials of some French whisky. La Phroigh

Bought an Arran 10 year old and Aberlour 14 double casked last week. Both excellent and good value for money.

£60 and free miniature from whisky exchange.

Thought about Japanese but it seems pricey.

The Japanese stuff I think is pretty good value. Put it this way, you get pretty good bang for your buck.