whisky lovers

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Patiently awaiting my Glenfarclas 105. Got a litre of amazon for 35 notes but nearly 8 for delivery so call it 43 for a litre of cask strength and its still a good deal IMO. Unless it tastes like paraffin of course.

Following this, my next cask strength will be a Talisker 57 on someones recomendation a few pages ago.

Cheers for the heads up, just purchased 2 bottles (one for storage, hopefully). I hadn't really tried glenfarclas too much untill the past year but I have been very impressed of the 12 and 21 I got recently.

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_1470148453.027225.jpg

Got this from the Mrs to start off my collection. :P

In all seriousness though, I really want to amass a decent haul through my lifetime. We all need to start somewhere. Hoping to pick up a full size bottle in the duty free when I go on holiday on the 10th. Was thinking about shelling out on a Dalmore 15 or 18, since I've tried them before and they taste absolutely brilliant. 18 in particular tastes like chocolate orange. :lol:

Is this Glenfiddich a decent whisky anyway? Don't know much about the cask collection/select cask.

Glendiddich is probably the most popular whisky in the world so as good a place as any to start.

The select casks are just what every other distillery does now in throwing out a few No Age Statement blends (not a blended whisky but a mixture of single malts from different barrels) so there will be absolutely nothing special about it, its not like a rare bottling or anything but reviews seem to say it's a decent dram.

I have rarely seen so much bullshit on a tin though. They are basically just describing how all whisky is made. Also, "Hand selected" how the f**k else would you do it?

3 hours ago, SweeperDee said:

IMG_1470148453.027225.jpg

Got this from the Mrs to start off my collection. :P

In all seriousness though, I really want to amass a decent haul through my lifetime. We all need to start somewhere. Hoping to pick up a full size bottle in the duty free when I go on holiday on the 10th. Was thinking about shelling out on a Dalmore 15 or 18, since I've tried them before and they taste absolutely brilliant. 18 in particular tastes like chocolate orange. :lol:

Is this Glenfiddich a decent whisky anyway? Don't know much about the cask collection/select cask.

Not sure I understand this collecting whisky thing, I just drink it. Do you mean to give dinner guests a choice?

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Not sure I understand this collecting whisky thing, I just drink it. Do you mean to give dinner guests a choice?

Nah, it's cause we've got loads of money and can't drink it fast enough.

That or it's nice to be able to choose and chop and change - or even to not waste an expensive one for no reason due to lack of alternative.

3 minutes ago, Spain said:

That or it's nice to be able to choose and chop and change - or even to not waste an expensive one for no reason due to lack of alternative.

Makes sense, might give it a go.

12 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Glendiddich is probably the most popular whisky in the world so as good a place as any to start.

The select casks are just what every other distillery does now in throwing out a few No Age Statement blends (not a blended whisky but a mixture of single malts from different barrels) so there will be absolutely nothing special about it, its not like a rare bottling or anything but reviews seem to say it's a decent dram.

I have rarely seen so much bullshit on a tin though. They are basically just describing how all whisky is made. Also, "Hand selected" how the f**k else would you do it?

Glenlivet has over taken Glenmorangie & Glenfiddich in the last few years.

I really like Glenlivet but am not to bothered about the other two.

But as you say the number of different types is one of the best things about scotch.

i only really have a collection because I don't like to finish a bottle if it is an exclusve or expensive one. I'll quite happily tan anything I can buy from a supermarket or work.

I really like Glenfiddich and Glenlivit.

Glenfiddich was my first bottle of malt whisky and I still like going back to it. Usually reasonably priced and widely available.

As for collections I tend to have a few on the go so I've got options. I've got a few unopened bottles at the moment that I've got as gifts etc.

Juras good for those who are starting out drinking whisky as it should be. I used to quite like it but as I went on I now find it quite bland. I did have one though recently that I was pleasantly suprised by. I do still have a fair bit of Jura in the house so if Celtic win tonight I may have to try them all once home and tell you all which one it was. I am a man of the people.

I do find I have moved past those types of whiskies. The most recent example being Old Pulteney which I liked at first but now think that was maybe the case purely because its pretty sweet and wasy to drink. Hoping the light peat of the Superstition is enougj to keep me interested. It should be as its something different from the rest I have.

I have a litre of it so one way or the other its getting swallyed!

They have, I believe, added a "peated" version of Superstition. I gather it's a lot better. I think that's what you have.

FWIW there are times that I just want a smooth, bog standard whisky. That's when Old Pulteney or, usually, Glenmorangie come into their own. Highland Park as well.

More usually I want to savour the complexity, and I go for the peatier malts.

And there are times I just want a bottle of coke.

There's definitely a mood aspect to whisky. I'm not a big fan of peaty whisky, but sometimes you can fancy something soft, or something a bit more full. There's just so much variety.

As I've said quite a few times before, for me, for something right in the middle that's pretty cheap but with plenty to savour I just can't look past the Glenfarclas 10. I've got a few things coming up the next few weekends but I'm pretty keen to get a bottle of the 105 after when I get a chance as lots of you lot are singing it's praises lately.

Tend not to have anything in house now that I could get in a standard pub unless I get given it. Exception would be a talisker or highland park which I'll always enjoy.

Weirdly I went into whisky cupboard tonight and found a bottle of glenfiddich I got for my birthday which totally failed to register in my brain. I'll crack it open on Friday to see if I have been unfair.

Edited by invergowrie arab

• 2 weeks later...