whisky lovers

On 22/12/2023 at 20:09, V.Aye.R said:

Heard all the hype about this and bought one after being up at Dornoch the other week. Deserves the praise imo*

*note bottle level

17032757317444350657805140354835.jpg

If you've tried Monkey Shoulder, how would you say it compares? 

16 minutes ago, V.Aye.R said:

Its several leagues above monkey shoulder 👍🏻

:) How about in terms of sweetness? I'm fond of lighter, drier Highland whiskies. Sorry to be so nosey, but they charge £12.50 for delivery for up to 6 bottles so I'll be ordering more than one bottle so I want to be fairly sure, otherwise I'll wait till Brora or Wick away to stop at Dornoch for a taste..

Edited by welshbairn

13 hours ago, welshbairn said:

:) How about in terms of sweetness? I'm fond of lighter, drier Highland whiskies. Sorry to be so nosey, but they charge £12.50 for delivery for up to 6 bottles so I'll be ordering more than one bottle so I want to be fairly sure, otherwise I'll wait till Brora or Wick away to stop at Dornoch for a taste..

Its massively sherry forward, little bit of a one trick pony but £30-35 for 46% it's a bargain

On 16/12/2023 at 01:00, virginton said:

Tried the Deanston 12 for the first time this evening. My first verdict on drink can be a wee bit unreliable but while it was absolutely fine, I felt it lacked any sort of direction - as if it was waiting for even a basic cask finish to add some interest. Once again the Ledaig Sinclair Rioja Cask wins out. 

I would normally offer anyone not rating the deanston 12 a meeting at Ruel St but my last bottle wasnt up to  scratch tbh. 

Anyway my two of choice for tonight...PXL_20231228_202657998.thumb.jpg.4c79aab1d6a8ab913415b8b7c7e2b3ae.jpg

Speaking of first drinks being unreliable I got the classic laddie as was on offer  Amazon as mentioned  by somebody on here about a month ago iirc. First nip I wasn't sure at all tasted quite young and dare I say a bit rough but now its totally grown on me. The bottle itself takes me back to my trip to Islay earlier on in the year and the colour is so distinct of the distillery. Im not sure it would be for everyone though.

Whisky on the left was a gift for Xmas. I generally try and avoid whisky for Xmas gifts as will often be given some inoffensive supermarket type but this Glen Moray  13 yo cask strength is bloody lovely. It's from Thompson Brothers which I don't think I have had a bottling from before but will be keeping an eye out for them now.

Edited by gannonball

• 4 weeks later...