whisky lovers

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

Lagavulin 16 year old currently between £53 & £59 with S&S down from £83 on Amazon regular price.

Good stuff. The price it should be, it's almost as if people weren't daft enough to go from £49 to £80 overnight

Was in Campbeltown at the start of the week, so squeezed in a Cadenhead's warehouse tasting on Monday afternoon and then went to the Washback bar at Springbank on Tuesday morning before getting a 1 pm bus up to Tarbert. Both highly recommended. 

7 drams on the Cadenhead's tasting was decent value and the whiskies were consistently good. An effective mix of their 12 year old small batch blend, various finishes (Madeira, Amontillado, Oloroso) influence. The 'peated' warehouse drams (a Highland Park 20 and heavily peated Bunnahabhain 9/sherry cask) were lightweight in terms of the actual peat influence, which was fine with me but might disappoint fans of that. My choice in the tasting room/bar was a Linkwood 10 Oloroso cask, which was excellent. I then went for an extra dram of Strathmill 24, which was absolutely glorious. 

The flights on the menu at the Washback bar weren't interesting or even good value compared to just pick and mixing your own from the Springbank et al.'s range.

27ccf901-368b-436c-9e8a-dd12e3835eca_text.gif.eb29f9dba876775e5b7ffb49ca477723.gif

The highlight was this one.

Spoiler

They also produce an outstanding whisky coffee. 

IMG_20240604_121128.thumb.jpg.0eb9a1a2c722031d898542518cbc7620.jpg

There's a good flash sale on over at Master of Malt. Talisker Port Ruighe on for a tempting £38.94 among other decent looking deals.

I can also recommend the Yellowstone bourbon at £36.

Edited by GiGi

On 09/06/2024 at 12:36, V.Aye.R said:

Anyone got a special bottle on standby for the Euros?

Got bids in on a Mortlach 15, and Glenfarclas 17 and 21 on an auction that closes on Sunday (local pickup so I'll have anything I win in time for the Swiss game). 

ETA - outbid on the Glenfarclas 21, sub in a Longmorn 16. 

Edited by carpetmonster

On 08/06/2024 at 21:26, virginton said:

Was in Campbeltown at the start of the week, so squeezed in a Cadenhead's warehouse tasting on Monday afternoon and then went to the Washback bar at Springbank on Tuesday morning before getting a 1 pm bus up to Tarbert. Both highly recommended. 

7 drams on the Cadenhead's tasting was decent value and the whiskies were consistently good. An effective mix of their 12 year old small batch blend, various finishes (Madeira, Amontillado, Oloroso) influence. The 'peated' warehouse drams (a Highland Park 20 and heavily peated Bunnahabhain 9/sherry cask) were lightweight in terms of the actual peat influence, which was fine with me but might disappoint fans of that. My choice in the tasting room/bar was a Linkwood 10 Oloroso cask, which was excellent. I then went for an extra dram of Strathmill 24, which was absolutely glorious. 

The flights on the menu at the Washback bar weren't interesting or even good value compared to just pick and mixing your own from the Springbank et al.'s range.

27ccf901-368b-436c-9e8a-dd12e3835eca_text.gif.eb29f9dba876775e5b7ffb49ca477723.gif

The highlight was this one.

Reveal hidden contents

They also produce an outstanding whisky coffee. 

IMG_20240604_121128.thumb.jpg.0eb9a1a2c722031d898542518cbc7620.jpg

Any Springbank 12 at the distilllery? I think I'd be willing to do an 8 hour round trip if I could ever find it 

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

Any Springbank 12 at the distilllery? I think I'd be willing to do an 8 hour round trip if I could ever find it 

There's a cask strength (54.1%) 12 available on the regular menu:

https://www.springbank.scot/product/the-washback-bar/

One bugbear is that the measurement size was just 20ml, which may be fairly widespread practice but seemed ungenerous to an ignoramus like myself. That said, the prices are accessible and if you go for higher strength stuff you're still getting decent value. 

The bartender accidentally over pouring on the Springbank 8 PX of all choices was a terrible, wee shame. 

15 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Aye, they still have the new batch in stock.

Many moons ago, Mrs. F_P was doing some work up North and came home with a wee present for me. I told her I'd keep it until the day we became grandparents. I'm still waiting. Might open the bottle if Scotland win the Euros. 😆

P1020404.thumb.JPG.2c38429c2aaa4e35c5b299223e62d0b8.JPGP1020405.thumb.JPG.ad30440dce962f87040cdf4cac138959.JPG

On 12/06/2024 at 16:38, carpetmonster said:

Got bids in on a Mortlach 15, and Glenfarclas 17 and 21 on an auction that closes on Sunday (local pickup so I'll have anything I win in time for the Swiss game). 

ETA - outbid on the Glenfarclas 21, sub in a Longmorn 16. 

Longmorn 16 is a very, very underrated dram.

40 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

Longmorn 16 is a very, very underrated dram.

Had a bid in at 80, totally forgot about the auction ending Sunday and found it it went for $100. I might’ve paid that, because it’s apparently been discontinued. Bit of a silly auction that one tho; the Glenfarclas 17 went for $140 when you can get it $135 retail in Chicago.