whisky lovers

17 hours ago, SweeperDee said:

OVD is bogging, substandard rum that even most scheme-goblins in Dundee would turn their nose up to. Rum in general is the inferior spirit when compared to any Whisky anyway.

^^^ idiot found

17 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

You wouldn't drink it neat though. Would you?

No but then again I wouldn't drink any rum neat - I haven't tried any Ron Zacapa varieties to confirm that one. The flavour of most rum benefits from mixing: with soft drinks or in cocktails for rums like OVD and Havana Club; with the contents of your kitchen drain for Bacardi and Lamb's Navy.

18 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Chuffed you liked the beer. Also glad you left the sediment in the bottle so as not to make my product look shite in front of all my wee internet pals!:lol:

I felt that it lacked ever so slightly in hop flavor, but glad you picked out the citrus as that was very prevalent when I bottled it, just felt it faded back somewhat. Also felt the carb levels were a touch low but that's a personal preference thing.

No point adding anything more about Glendronach 21. Its quite simply peak whisky. I don't have the superlatives for it really.

ETA, the beer being easily drunk is a dangerous attribute to it at 5.8%

I think the low hoppy taste is what made it so drinkable , nothing to hold it back ! , cheeky wee Edradour planned for this evening

4 hours ago, philpy said:

Happy birthday to me 😊

IMG_20200503_123753.jpg

I suspect the recipe today , bears no resemblance to the silver award winning 2013 vintage 😀

regardless , happy birthday 

Edited by bishopburn boy
Forgot felicitations

4 hours ago, virginton said:

^^^ idiot found

No but then again I wouldn't drink any rum neat - I haven't tried any Ron Zacapa varieties to confirm that one. The flavour of most rum benefits from mixing: with soft drinks or in cocktails for rums like OVD and Havana Club; with the contents of your kitchen drain for Bacardi and Lamb's Navy.

This stuff was easily drinkable neat very smooth and sweet.

Would probably make a really nice dark and stormy but I can't abide any alcohol with coke

4 hours ago, bishopburn boy said:

I think the low hoppy taste is what made it so drinkable , nothing to hold it back ! , cheeky wee Edradour planned for this evening

Edradour tanned yet? Interested to hear your thoguhts as I find it different from other bourbon cask efforts I have tried.

Now that I type this though I realise its been a good few weeks since I have had one so tomorrow night I will take on in.

Just now, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

Opened this 70cl bottle yesterday and it's 40%. I have a litre bottle of it at 43%.

Why? What am I missing? Did they change it at some point or is it to do with the size of the bottle?

If anyone knows.

FF94EA16-505D-4C4A-865C-C6CA924A2834.jpeg

Its to do with selling you more tap water and less whisky for your money.

19 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Edradour tanned yet? Interested to hear your thoguhts as I find it different from other bourbon cask efforts I have tried.

Now that I type this though I realise its been a good few weeks since I have had one so tomorrow night I will take on in.

On it now , lemon and vanilla  on the nose , vanilla , apple and some. Sweetness  honey maybe on the palate , finish decent length , something else coming through a touch astringent , but not unpleasant , gooseberry maybe 

nice dram 

Edited by bishopburn boy

It's duty related. The litre bottle is likely one intended for travel retail ie duty free so they can bottle it higher abv and not be subject to the same tax. Bottled at 40% means they pay less and get to stretch their stocks further. Win win win.

6 minutes ago, GiGi said:

It's duty related. The litre bottle is likely one intended for travel retail ie duty free so they can bottle it higher abv and not be subject to the same tax. Bottled at 40% means they pay less and get to stretch their stocks further. Win win win.

So obvious now that you say that. When Stella 1st came out here it was 5.2 then went down to 4.8 so they could cut down on the tax they paid.

1 hour ago, GiGi said:

Fraid not , bairnardo was right , it’s to sell more water  - the duty is paid when it comes out of the cask , and is related to the actual volume of alcohol , so when they blend the batch for bottling the alcohol content is duty paid , then they water it down to 43 or more bottles of 40 

2 hours ago, gannonball said:

Decent flash sale going on at the whisky shop at the moment.

Reasonable price for Glendronach 21. Very exciting, not had one yet.

About to sound a touch ungrateful here but Mrs B was informed of a "good deal" on a bottle of Singleton in Asda. Think it's some distillers edition or something. Anyway she decided she was going to buy me it, which is a nice gesture and all, and it tastes ok, but the deal was 26 notes which had expired when she got there. She paid 37 quid for it [emoji15] Hadnt the heart to tell her I'd have got something much better for that money