whisky lovers

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1408786650.229383.jpg

I recently acquired this from a hard up Arab pal.

Not going to be opened of course until I find a less hard up Arab to take it off my hands (or gift it to a lucky Arab pal)

Is that set sold through DUFC or is that just an independent glassware firm that's been able to do that given any old badge? Smart as fcuk and giving me Xmas ideas.

Genuinely don't enjoy whisky if you add water to it. I find it makes it sharp, ice even moreso. Prefer it neat, and warmed slightly (hand warm).

If you're anything like me, try a drip of water in it. Like when you've turned a running tap tap off and you get a couple of drips at the very end - catch one of them, maybe two if it's a strong dram. Any more will kill it imo but one can just make numerous drams taste so much better.

Edited by Hedgecutter

Caveat * it is all down to individual tatste etc etc

But

Water in whisky is one thing so many people get wrong. i have seen people go as far as half and half. If you are adding water it should be room temperature and all you need is a couple of drops from a pippette or off a straw to bring the oils out.

I was always told enoughbto fill a midges arsehole

Will give that a whirl then, but I'll be annoyed if it ruins some good whisky. Best try it with a lower end one first. I'm still working through last Christmas' freebies from work... so an Aberlour or similar probably.

Posted about the Haig Club stuff on the Club DECE thread. Managed to secure a bottle through work. It's really nothing special. It's supposed to help people get into whisky if they've never really had it before, or put it in cocktails, but it's fairly bland and not really worth the David Beckham endorsement.

Will give that a whirl then, but I'll be annoyed if it ruins some good whisky. Best try it with a lower end one first. I'm still working through last Christmas' freebies from work... so an Aberlour or similar probably.

I wouldn't anything to the Dalmores to be honest - they are bottled at such a pathetically low abv that they will drown if you add anything to them.
The ridiculous amount of artificial colourant in them, together with the extreme levels of chill filtration which must have taken place won't do them any favours either.
They do 'look' pretty though, I'll give them that.

I'm thinking of getting my brother a bottle of whisky for his birthday. He's never touched the stuff but he likes Jameson's and a few Kentucky bourbon whiskies (Woodford Reserve, Jim Beam, etc). He wants to "get into whisky" but he doesn't know where to start, so someone giving him a bottle seems like a good starting point.

What would be something that he might like, based on the above information? I know it's a risk getting him something that he might not like but I'm willing to take a shot.

I'm thinking of getting my brother a bottle of whisky for his birthday. He's never touched the stuff but he likes Jameson's and a few Kentucky bourbon whiskies (Woodford Reserve, Jim Beam, etc). He wants to "get into whisky" but he doesn't know where to start, so someone giving him a bottle seems like a good starting point.

What would be something that he might like, based on the above information? I know it's a risk getting him something that he might not like but I'm willing to take a shot.

I'd suggest a Glengoyne 10 or 12 yr old. It's very light but still packs a punch, something I think the sweetness from Speyside whiskies sometimes takes away.

Caveat * it is all down to individual tatste etc etc

But

Water in whisky is one thing so many people get wrong. i have seen people go as far as half and half. If you are adding water it should be room temperature and all you need is a couple of drops from a pippette or off a straw to bring the oils out.

I was always told enoughbto fill a midges arsehole

I'm a recent convert to this. I could never understand folk sloshing a load of water into their malt but a bar in Edinburgh I've been in a few times recently brings a wee science kit pippette of water with your malt. It really adds to the experience of having a decent whisky - a wee bit of ceremony.

I'd suggest a Glengoyne 10 or 12 yr old. It's very light but still packs a punch, something I think the sweetness from Speyside whiskies sometimes takes away.

Dalwhinnie 15 yo is a fairly safe bet. Can be found for under 30 and most supermarkets stock it. Not as pungent as an islay, not as fragrant as a speyside and lots of the sweet vanilla custard notes that you would find in a bourbon.

Cheers guys. I was thinking that I should keep away from Speyside for him just now. I'll have a look at those suggestions and ask about at some whisky shops as well.

• 1 month later...

Well its that time of year to grab a bottle for the holidays and New Year. Gone for a classic this year, just bought a bottle of 12yo Old Pulteney for £23.50 out of Asda. Will have a couple of drams at Hogmany and save the rest for the 6 Nations.

Old-Pulteney-12-Year-Old.jpg

Dalwhinnie 15 yo is a fairly safe bet. Can be found for under 30 and most supermarkets stock it. Not as pungent as an islay, not as fragrant as a speyside and lots of the sweet vanilla custard notes that you would find in a bourbon.

Glenrothes is my 'safe bet' for someone if you're not quite sure what they like. Heart of Speyside I know, but it just works I've found. Year doesn't matter too much.

Eventually opened the Monkey Shoulder I got a few weeks ago. Sweet, creamy and uncommonly good.

Best 'blend' on the market imo. After Haig Club of course (snigger).

Edited by Hedgecutter

Haven't received any freebies at work this year yet, which is concerning. Normally I get half a dozen or so bottles from some of my suppliers. In saying that I haven't dished out my calenders and bottles to my best customers yet either.

Wee heads up for anyone interested (not only relevant to whisky but its what I used it for)...

Tesco are doing £15 off first online grocery orders over £60 (delivery is an extra £1). I used it to pick up a Nadurra and Old Pulteney for presents for £46 quid :thumsup2

Nothing better than sitting down with a nice whiskey.

Got a nice bottle of Ardmore and plan on picking up a new bottle this weekend for over the holidays.

Avoiding the Haig stuff, looks like a big bottle of Ralph Lauren aftershave.