whisky lovers

ClydeSi, pulled the Cork out the Loch Lomond bottle my laddie gave me for Xmas, it had a very peppery after taste, very peppery. Would try the 12 and 18 year old but would by it by the dram before deciding if I wanted a bottle, think I would stick to my Islay favourites though. Cheers gents and all the best for 2017.
Hihat

12 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Bunnahabhain is brilliant. I have a bottle of the 12 and 18yo and, whilst I prefer the 18yo, I think the 12yo is much better value for money.

Yeah they're excellent. The least Islay of Islay malts for me but it's a good mixture of what I like.

I got a JW blue label for Christmas to add to the one I bought myself. It's really good but as I suspected just not worth the price. Paying for the name a reputation really but glad to have finally tasted the stuff.

Anyway I've finished 4 or 5 bottles in the last couple of months so I've bolstered my cupboard with a Macallan sherry oak and Royal Lochnagar. Both 12yo. 

I agree with general consensus that Macallan gold is guff but my dad's been encouraging me to give the proper age stated stuff a go. Gold put me off a while ago so I've never bothered. Hoping to be able to change my mind a bit.

Got given the glenfiddoch IPA experiment last night.

Surprising nice. First glass didn't taste great, but improved after that. Think it was just a bit different at first.

They had samples of that in the Tesco near my house not long before Christmas. Unfortunately they had the sample sitting in ice with a slice of lemon so all it tasted like was cold lemon water with a hint of whisky flavouring.

As an avid Scotch drinker mostly peaty reserve I aquired a bottle of Paddys from an uncle in the emerald isle... Putting on a brave face I graciously thanked. Had a wee shot at weekend (refuse to call the triple distilliated a dram, except auchintoshan of course) and it was actually OK..... very smooth.

right the benromach on its way,

any recomendations on the next purchase around £30 - 40 mark.

nothing peaty, i read that" the laddie ten" is an islay malt but one of the few non peaty ones if so it could be next to be purchased,

Edited by Willie adie

35 minutes ago, Willie adie said:

nothing peaty, i read that" the laddie ten" is an islay malt but one of the few non peaty ones if so it could be next to be purchased,

Bunnahabhain is an Islay malt but again not peaty. The 12yo is about £35. You'll probably also find Balvenie 12 double wood which is fairly friendly to most palates around that price.

Jump onto the whisky exchange or the whisky shop, even amazon, pick a region or price range and see what you come up with.

Some distilleries are just cheaper. Glenfarclas make even their old bottles cheap as chips relative to some of the bigger names because they want people to drink it and not sit it on a shelf waiting or hoping for it to accumulate value. 

Once you get over the £100 mark it's diminishing returns for what you pay. Depending on your tastes a 25 year old Glenfarclas at about an eighth of the price of the equivalent Macallan might be better for you. Pricing is a funny game with whisky.

I'm most probably biased coz I work there but Aberfeldy 12 YO Single Malt is an excellent dram in that price range