whisky lovers

Somebody with a better knowledge will tell you but I think it only ages in the cask and not the bottle. So your 12 year old will still be a 12 year old in 100 years time.

You are indeed correct. A whisky gets a notable level of flavour from the cask it's kept in, hence it shouldn't come as much surprise that the longer you leave it in, the more flavour it will absorb from the wood, hence the age is often a good guide as to what the flavour will be (although, for example, a heavily peated dram from the word go will have various other factors). On the other hand, sealing whisky in a glass bottle for 20 years will have absolutely no effect on the taste, if kept in a cool dark place anyway.

If you happened to get the 'cleric' (the 0 yr old colourless stuff straight from the still) for a malt you like then you'll appreciate just how much taste comes from the barrel, particularly those previously used for carrying sherry/port. I've got a pile of old, smashed up post-whisky sherry casks in my garage and I can smell the sherry in the driveway from the garage with the door closed. Imagine what that does to a whisky. Damn, I'm thirsty now. ****.

In that case they won't be worth anything as they are all supermarket bought and they are all active distilleries - Talisker, Old Pulteney, Laphroaig etc. 

Don't be too hasty - Are the varieties of these bottles pretty common/still in production? If no, this could be a good thing. You can still make a no bad wee profit if you shop around for limited edition or more-so, small batch whiskies. The 'limited edition' bottles are a tricky market though. Just because it's 'limited edition' doesn't guarantee its value will increase with age.

However, small batch whiskies are worth keeping an eye on. Following a bit of advice from my Papa, I bought a bottle of the special 1000 bottle run of MacAllan released to celebrate the wedding of William & Kate. Paid £200 for it in 2011. Last time I checked, it was going for about £1500 on the whisky auction sites.

ETA: Just googled it and there's a bottle going for a little over 2K on Amazon.

3 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Don't be too hasty - Are the varieties of these bottles pretty common/still in production? If no, this could be a good thing. You can still make a no bad wee profit if you shop around for limited edition or more-so, small batch whiskies. The 'limited edition' bottles are a tricky market though. Just because it's 'limited edition' doesn't guarantee its value will increase with age.
However, small batch whiskies are worth keeping an eye on. Following a bit of advice from my Papa, I bought a bottle of the special 1000 bottle run of MacAllan released to celebrate the wedding of William & Kate. Paid £200 for it. Last time I checked it's value

Did you buy it for £30 quid out of a supermarket or were you just trying desperately to shoehorn a humblebrag into the thread?

25 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

How would you go about doing this ? Just walking into the pub with these bottles ( I presume on a quiet day) or phone before hand ?

a *friend* used to just walk into pubs/restaraunts in Glasgow selling wine that may or may not have been bought cheap on the continent. Usually deliver later on rather than wandering in with bottles in hand looking like they have just been liberated from tesco.

good idea not to to open the singleton. next step is to get receipt, take it back to shop and get a decent whisky. It's horrible. 

Thanks for that snippet of advice. I've read some reviews on it, mostly negative ones. Its going back, going to pay a wee bit more and get a glenrothes special reserve somewhere, tried it in my local last week and its very nice.

9 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Wtf you on about?

I think you missed the point Milhouse. The guy bought £30 bottles from still operational distilleries out of the supermarket. You're not comparing anything even remotely similar.

a *friend* used to just walk into pubs/restaraunts in Glasgow selling wine that may or may not have been bought cheap on the continent. Usually deliver later on rather than wandering in with bottles in hand looking like they have just been liberated from tesco.

Aye, get the order first, then liberate them from Tesco.

1 hour ago, philpy said:

Thanks for that snippet of advice. I've read some reviews on it, mostly negative ones. Its going back, going to pay a wee bit more and get a glenrothes special reserve somewhere, tried it in my local last week and its very nice.

Well it's just my opinion.

TBH the reasons I don't like singleton are the same reasons I really don't like Glenrothes. I think they are very similar.

So, if that's what you like you may well enjoy it.

I think you missed the point Milhouse. The guy bought £30 bottles from still operational distilleries out of the supermarket. You're not comparing anything even remotely similar.

Ah... Fair fux. Miss-read his post.

ETA: Works Xmas night out tonight. Will be filling the hip flask with some Johnnie Walker Black Label Limited Edition. A lovely drop for anyone who hasn't tried it.

It's very poor. Bland and nothing at all about it.

If you're fairly new to whisky read a few reviews first.

It's a reasonable introduction to the Talisker range. If you like it, Follow it up with a 10 yo and you've got a good foothold in the world of peated malts.

It's a pretty good choice for a whisky rookie I think.

FYI Talisker 10 is one of my personal favourites.

Talisker 10 is one of my favourites so I probably rate Skye so lowly as its so much more bland than 10.

It's a step down from the previously discussed table whiskies, Jura, Highland Park etc

I'm just not a fan of these ageless 'named' whiskies in general

Agreed on all of that. I still think it's a good choice for a new whisky drinker.

I bought a bottle in error when I was at the supermarket. Picked it up thinking it was Talisker 10 with new packaging. Perhaps another reason I don't like it.

I've only had one or two drink so perhaps I need to revisit, but it seemed to be a jack of all trades, master of none. Somewhat peated, somewhat smoky, somewhat fruity etc, somewhat light etc

I think someone new to whisky is better trying a good example of each section of the flavour map to work out what they like. All that said, if someone bought me one in a pub I'd more than happily drink it!

Anyone know of a shop, not online, where I would find a bottle of VAT 69?

I don't but VAT 69 always reminds me of the episode of Yes Minister where they visit the dry country so have a communications room so they can drink, and have unsubtle ways of communicating what drink is awaiting them.