whisky lovers

Speyside?

A region of Scotland. Famous in footballing terms for the mighty Maroons and for producing Whisky.

Waitrose?

A supermarket, but probably not the one Jarvis Cocker was referring to.

Bottle?

A vessel that is used to contain whisky or messages.

1 hour ago, yoda said:

Arran 14. Balblair 2005.

Talk to me.

Dunno about the Balblair.

Arran 14 is decent. Quite dry and fruity. Not my favourite from Arran by any means but i would happily drink it. You can get any of their cask finish range for a similar price, I dont like the Sauternes but the port and Madeira are superb. If you can go another 20 quid its well worth the jump to the bothy quarter cask. 

Avoid the Machrie Moor at all costs. awful stuff.

Asda are currently selling a 9yo sherry finish Bowmore. It won't be as good as the Bowmore Darkest that people on here have commented on but at £20 a bottle it still looks like a good buy if you like a peaty whisky.

I was in a couple of supermarkets today, and was very disappointed by the selection of 'sale' whiskies on offer at the moment. Usually November/early December is pretty good for quality bargains, but all I saw today was a lot of non age statement 'special editions' for a couple of pounds off, nothing worth buying really

Question.

Does old boxed, unopened whiskey have any kind of value?  I used to buy my dad a bottle of whisky at Christmas and continued to buy a bottle each year when he was no longer around. 

So I have about ten or so in a cupboard (I'm not a whisky drinker myself)  They are all single Scotch whisky that would have been around the £30 mark originally and the oldest will now be 10 years older than the box age.

I have no idea - just asking.

Couple of purchases from Asda. £13 from £18 for the highland queen, and £20 from £25 for the singleton. Not planning on opening the singleton anytime soon, already started on the other one though. d8fe0539f525e0025945fe16a55f3e81.jpg

Question.
Does old boxed, unopened whiskey have any kind of value?  I used to buy my dad a bottle of whisky at Christmas and continued to buy a bottle each year when he was no longer around. 
So I have about ten or so in a cupboard (I'm not a whisky drinker myself)  They are all single Scotch whisky that would have been around the £30 mark originally and the oldest will now be 10 years older than the box age.

Somebody with a better knowledge will tell you but I think it only ages in the cask and not the bottle. So your 12 year old will still be a 12 year old in 100 years time. I might be havering.

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Question.

unless it is rare or the distillery shuts then no not really. And as the previous poster says whisky ages in the cask, not the bottle. Give us specifics and we can make you offers.

45 minutes ago, philpy said:

Couple of purchases from Asda. £13 from £18 for the highland queen, and £20 from £25 for the singleton. Not planning on opening the singleton anytime soon, already started on the other one though. d8fe0539f525e0025945fe16a55f3e81.jpg

good idea not to to open the singleton. next step is to get receipt, take it back to shop and get a decent whisky. It's horrible. 

4 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

unless it is rare or the distillery shuts then no not really. And as the previous poster says whisky ages in the cask, not the bottle. Give us specifics and we can make you offers.

In that case they won't be worth anything as they are all supermarket bought and they are all active distilleries - Talisker, Old Pulteney, Laphroaig etc.