whisky lovers

Before Christmas my daughter asked what kind of whisky I liked. Anything except Whyte & Mackay I said, stupidly forgetting that I can't stand US whiskeys.
I've now got a bottle of Benchmark 8 year old bourbon. Any suggestions for a mixer to make this stuff palatable? I was thinking along the lines of Ginger Ale. Might need to go down the Tizer or Red Cola route if that doesn't work...  

Whyte & Mackay?

Double dunt! [emoji39][emoji6]

Before Christmas my daughter asked what kind of whisky I liked. Anything except Whyte & Mackay I said, stupidly forgetting that I can't stand US whiskeys.
I've now got a bottle of Benchmark 8 year old bourbon. Any suggestions for a mixer to make this stuff palatable? I was thinking along the lines of Ginger Ale. Might need to go down the Tizer or Red Cola route if that doesn't work...  

Only use for bourbon in my book is an old fashioned.

Is aberfeldy a yey or ney?

got given the 12 as a pressie. Im sure Ive had it before but I cant remember if I liked it or not. It was either that or the Glenrothes I wasnt a fan of but I think it was the latter. Dont know whether to open it or not or keep as a shit gift to someone.

8 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I was on the Yamazaki last night. 12 yo and distillers edition.

I didn't want it to be true but both are absolutely superb. Straight into the top half dozen.

Yamazaki is the nicest Japanese whiskey I've tried and I think it's at least as good as most malts, pricey though.

I tried some Thai Whiskey the other night, ouch.

Yamazaki is the nicest Japanese whiskey I've tried and I think it's at least as good as most malts, pricey though.
I tried some Thai Whiskey the other night, ouch.

I've still yet to try a Japanese whiskey. How do they compare to ours?

Not sure I'm interested in a Thai one following that post. Was it bad?

My old granda' used to always say "There's no such thing as bad whiskey, just some are better than others".

Now I'm not so sure.

I've still yet to try a Japanese whiskey. How do they compare to ours?

Not sure I'm interested in a Thai one following that post. Was it bad?

My old granda' used to always say "There's no such thing as bad whiskey, just some are better than others".

Now I'm not so sure.

Japanese whiskies tend to be very smooth, and are often sweetish. I'm very impressed by the Hibiki as well. I recommend a gamble.

4 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Japanese whiskies tend to be very smooth, and are often sweetish. I'm very impressed by the Hibiki as well. I recommend a gamble.

That's how I found it.

Not unlike a Dalwhinnie. I revisited the yamakazi 12 last night and whilst it is still a fantastically balanced and well made whisky I was thinking perhaps too smooth. It was missing a bit of spice, heat and a bit of roughness round the edges. If they could get a bit of Talisker salt and pepper in there they would be onto something.

4 hours ago, Ziggy said:

I'm in Kuala Lumpur and tonight I'm going to the Whisky Bar

http://thewhiskybarkl.com/whisky-list/

might try try the Balvenie Portwood that everyone on here, including myself, are very envious of.

This is the best bar I have ever been in.

Its pricey though, the Balvenie port wood is £22 a nip. I'm gonna pick a few cheaper ones first.

Balvenie Triple Cask was 1st pick, it's brilliant.

54 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

Noticed in the Albanach on the Royal Mile it's £9. I was tempted but I never know if it's worth paying money in a bar for a less commonly drank whisky when you've no idea how long that bottle has been opened for.

This was a question I asked way back in the thread. How much does the quality of the whisky deteriorate once the bottle has been opened?

37 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

This was a question I asked way back in the thread. How much does the quality of the whisky deteriorate once the bottle has been opened?

I'm not sure of the science but if it's a matter of months then I think it should be negligible. If it's over a year then maybe it would suffer a bit of evaporation. Is a good bottle going to remain open on the royal mile for a year plus with all the well off tourists that visit?

I say go for it if you can justify it.

I'm not sure of the science but if it's a matter of months then I think it should be negligible. If it's over a year then maybe it would suffer a bit of evaporation. Is a good bottle going to remain open on the royal mile for a year plus with all the well off tourists that visit?
I say go for it if you can justify it.

The only issue is with it being a bar that stocks 200 odd whiskies I wonder how often certain ones will actually be asked for. I do want to try it though so might buy some next time I'm up that way.