whisky lovers

I just went back for a 2nd nip and the cork broke off the lid :lol: pain in the arse opening it now. 

However the nice folks at Amazon have kindly sent out a replacement. Not the worst result.

5 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Amazon are usually decent for customer service, what did you say to them?

(Of course I have no intention of chiselling a free bottle of whisky off Amazon)

Just went onto their live chat and told them the lid broke off the cork making it difficult to open. They apologised for it arriving in sub par condition and immediately offered a refund or replacement next day at no extra cost.

And it's fucking good so I took the replacement. Or duplicate as it were since I get to keep this one anyway. ^_^

3 hours ago, philpy said:

A friend got this over in arran, had a few nips of it last night. Sore head today.cfa86f925d291331002594cbaa78b62d.jpg

Have you opened all of the bottles you got for your 50th?

3 hours ago, philpy said:

A friend got this over in arran, had a few nips of it last night. Sore head today.cfa86f925d291331002594cbaa78b62d.jpg

I'm a massive fan of Arran and of peaty whisky but have to say I found that undrinkable. Something of a cow byre about it.

Just back from a few days in Ireland and getting stuck in about their whiskies. Delighted to report that it's not just blind prejudice but that their whiskies are significantly less complex and interesting than ours.

They are all pleasant enough but quite sweet. Was on all the standards of tullamore dew, green spot, redbreast and powers.

I would say the one I enjoyed most was a Connemara 18 yo peated which was quite pleasant but wouldn't be in my top 10 Islays.

4 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I would say the one I enjoyed most was a Connemara 18 yo peated which was quite pleasant but wouldn't be in my top 10 Islays.

There's a question. What would your top 10 Islays be?

I'm a massive fan of Arran and of peaty whisky but have to say I found that undrinkable. Something of a cow byre about it.
Just back from a few days in Ireland and getting stuck in about their whiskies. Delighted to report that it's not just blind prejudice but that their whiskies are significantly less complex and interesting than ours.
They are all pleasant enough but quite sweet. Was on all the standards of tullamore dew, green spot, redbreast and powers.

I quite enjoy the Irish whiskey tbh, but only for casual drinking. ie a paddys or Jamieson beats a Bells, FG, Grants etc hands down....
But our Malts just reign supreme especially the peaty islay ones

Just purchased the 14 y/o Balvenie Caribbean Cask; pretty excited, since as far as I remember it's one of the best tasting Whiskies I have tried. £56 off of The Whisky Exchange, could have probably got it cheaper from elsewhere but hey ho. 

1 hour ago, SweeperDee said:

Just purchased the 14 y/o Balvenie Caribbean Cask; pretty excited, since as far as I remember it's one of the best tasting Whiskies I have tried. £56 off of The Whisky Exchange, could have probably got it cheaper from elsewhere but hey ho. 

That's about the going rate although I see Sainsbury are selling it for £42 which is quite an undercut.

I find it a bit too sweet which will be the rum influence. Prefer the 12 doublewood which is good value for money, or if you go one up to the 17 doublewood that is exceptional.

I had a 16 triple cask bottle in 20cl before which was pleasant from memory but I bought it for a holiday and was out my bin most of it so I'd need to try it again.

The daddy of my collection is the 21yo portwood finish but I've never seen it much under £120 a bottle and it was a gift. Never spent that much on one myself and can't say I've tried many that would be worth it. You get truly great stuff at that range but it's diminishing returns for your money.

17 minutes ago, GiGi said:

That's about the going rate although I see Sainsbury are selling it for £42 which is quite an undercut.

I find it a bit too sweet which will be the rum influence. Prefer the 12 doublewood which is good value for money, or if you go one up to the 17 doublewood that is exceptional.

I had a 16 triple cask bottle in 20cl before which was pleasant from memory but I bought it for a holiday and was out my bin most of it so I'd need to try it again.

The daddy of my collection is the 21yo portwood finish but I've never seen it much under £120 a bottle and it was a gift. Never spent that much on one myself and can't say I've tried many that would be worth it. You get truly great stuff at that range but it's diminishing returns for your money.

I've had a dram or two of the 21yo Portwood and I can say it's truly exceptional. My favourite Whisky overall is Dalmore 18yo but the Portwood runs it a close second in actual quality, in my opinion. Need to replenish my collection as I've polished off my Bowmore, Caol Ila and Glen Garioch. The Balvenie is the first of a few more for this year. 

1 hour ago, SweeperDee said:

I've had a dram or two of the 21yo Portwood and I can say it's truly exceptional. My favourite Whisky overall is Dalmore 18yo but the Portwood runs it a close second in actual quality, in my opinion. Need to replenish my collection as I've polished off my Bowmore, Caol Ila and Glen Garioch. The Balvenie is the first of a few more for this year. 

All the Balvenie malts I've listed are very good. They are a bit on the dear side but I find you generally get what you pay for.

The quintessential highland malt really if Banff still counts.

I'm right into my Islays and Campbeltowns at the minute so haven't opened anything else recently.

Wife has suggested she buys me a ten year old in a tin as an anniversary present. Since its our tenth and its a tin gift.
So what is your suggestions for this.
I was going to ask for glenturret but its in cardboard tube.

Ten year old in a tin?? Who Is She, madonna??

Wife has suggested she buys me a ten year old in a tin as an anniversary present. Since its our tenth and its a tin gift.
So what is your suggestions for this.
I was going to ask for glenturret but its in cardboard tube.

Happy anniversary!

Maybe a serendipitous purchase would be a Kilchoman 10yo which are new to the market, 2006 being the year they started production. So their oldest whisky is roughly of ages with your marriage.

But they're quite rare alas!

A nice 10yo in a tin would most definitely be a Laddie!

89233e2e225a8a2598b62206113fbb39.jpg