whisky lovers

9 hours ago, GiGi said:

I would throw Springbank 10 and Bunnahabhain 12 in there as well. Both taste far older than they are. 

Have ordered a Bunna 12 for £29. And a couple of bottles of port. ^_^

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

You just reminded me I cant even remember if I put it on here but I got hold of a Longrow Red Malbec cask a couple of months ago. Its absolutely great. I love Springbank.

You lucky b*****d, it'll be the 13yo. I cant find that for less than about 100 beans just now and saw it for about half that months back. I wish I'd bought it then. Tried it once and it was magic. 

9 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

It was lucky actually I was looking for it and my knowledgable mate at work told me to ask Cadenheads. I did and they put me on a list for the latest release. Few months later they emailed me saying they had a bottle for me. 55 notes plus a tenner to deliver as I was unable to go and get it

Well worth. Limited release and really hard to find now.

8 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I did contemplate keeping it boxed but im not into collecting and I really wanted to try it so just got stuck in. Its that sort of shite that prevents us getting to try stuff like this so I took one for the team!

I open just about every bottle I buy when I get it for a wee taste for that reason as well. Buy them to drink, there's easier ways to invest money than in whisky.

Would love to drink whiskey, my old man and Grandad both enjoy a dram (Talisker and Te Bheag being the favourites respectively) but at 18, I drunk a bottle of Whyte & Mackay and promptly spewed my load everywhere. Since then, even the smell of whiskey gives me a cold shiver. 

Just wondering if there would be a good one to try and get a taste for, a friend suggested Aberlour?

Aberlour, Glenfiddich, Glenmorangie, Jura etc. Just ease yourself back in. I did the same thing when I was a teenager with a bottle of Grants and couldn't look at whisky for 3 or 4 years. My dad started getting me the odd easy going malt after a while to settle me in before I was comfy enough to explore on my own. Now I have literally dozens of bottles in the house and will buy a wee half more often than not in the pub.

Would love to drink whiskey, my old man and Grandad both enjoy a dram (Talisker and Te Bheag being the favourites respectively) but at 18, I drunk a bottle of Whyte & Mackay and promptly spewed my load everywhere. Since then, even the smell of whiskey gives me a cold shiver. 
Just wondering if there would be a good one to try and get a taste for, a friend suggested Aberlour?

Johnnie Walker black label 12y/o blended is pretty easy going IMO. Maybe ease back in with something like that?

9 hours ago, LondonHMFC said:

My missus hated whisky. Once we were staying in Oban at a hotel and when we got the after dinner coffees I went up and got a couple of drams. One was Macallan, I've forgotten the other. Sipping a dram with a coffee is the business for me and that got her hooked. She's actually got a better nose for the stuff than I have. Occasionally I've given her stuff from the SMWS and she says it's like night and day compared to the supermarket ones I alternate with.

btw just recently got into this thread. I'm on scotchmaltwhisky.com but this forum is far busier considering its a subforum although maybe less diverse as the other one has a lot about foreign whiskies.

Airdrie

East Coast based so can't help but speak to your local independent whisky shop, sure they will recommended someone. If your ever in the north east both the Inverurie whisky shop and Gordon McPhail in Elgin do excellent tastings.

16 minutes ago, Willie adie said:

I once got a bottle of glenturret. 10yr old at a business visit.

It was a lovely drop would certainly buy a bottle.

Nice. My dad still has an old bottling of the 12 and an 18 signatory. He had 2 of the 12 but recently gave one to the local pub to serve only to me and his pals 8). Did you go pre or post Famous Grouse buying them over?

Edited by GiGi

15 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

Asda doing bottles of Tamnavulin Double Cask single malt for £20.
Worth a dabble?

Aye never heard of it until recently, tried it at my dads and for the price its really good stuff.

Polished a bottle of Highland Park Dark Origins off recently, wont be to everyones taste but I really liked it, a spicy number.