whisky lovers

I'm very very new to the whisky scene, having spent most of my spirit drinking years on Jack Daniels or Dark Rum.
So I've bought 3 different bottles from different areas to try and distinguish taste and what I like. I had always thought the Islay malts were my flavour, with my old man enjoying Laphroaig & Bunnahabhain as I do to while sharing with him.
So I've bought 3 readily available, supermarket shelf whisky's to open my pallette.
I've went for:

Talisker Skye
Aberfeldy 12 year old.
Cardhu gold reserve

Anyone any opinions on these?

Bought that Jura Origin yesterday, tried it. Enjoyed it.

How is the Founder's Reserve? I'm wary of the NAS stuff from the bigger distilleries. I could take or leave the Glenlivet 12 but the 15 is really good. Mass produced NAS stuff stuff is generally bad although I try not to be too prejudiced because some of it is genuinely good whisky with a bit of young spirit involved preventing a good age statement. 

Wish some bottles were a bit more forthcoming about what was in them. 

5 hours ago, GiGi said:

How is the Founder's Reserve? I'm wary of the NAS stuff from the bigger distilleries. I could take or leave the Glenlivet 12 but the 15 is really good. Mass produced NAS stuff stuff is generally bad although I try not to be too prejudiced because some of it is genuinely good whisky with a bit of young spirit involved preventing a good age statement. 

Wish some bottles were a bit more forthcoming about what was in them. 

Agree. Was disappointed with the 18 but the 21 was incredible,

55 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Johnny Walker Green Label £30 at Asda right now. Laphroaig Quarter Cask £23.98 at Costco.

Good call my man. That's great value, never seen either of those bottles so cheap.

9 minutes ago, yoda said:

Picked up a bottle of Aberlour A'Bunadh from the Good Spirits Co. a few weeks ago.

PowttJS.gif

What's the batch number on it? I've had the 35 and 49. 35 was better. 

1 minute ago, The Mantis said:

Bought 2 of each :bounce2

Good. I've not had the Laphroaig QC before but I've had a few others. Always seen it regarded really well though. 

I love the Green Label though. Favourite Johnnie Walker by a distance. 

51 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

Enjoying a Talisker 57 N. In my opinion, the finest whisky there is

Yep

Although I have gone back to basics with 10 yo this week. No finer standard single malt IMO.

Said here before Laphroaig QC is everything that's bad about Laphroaig. Maximum iodine.

Edited by invergowrie arab

1 minute ago, GiGi said:

Good. I've not had the Laphroaig QC before but I've had a few others. Always seen it regarded really well though. 

I love the Green Label though. Favourite Johnnie Walker by a distance. 

The QC was that price earlier in the year (£4 off normal at Costco). I got 1 and finished it and I was saying on a whisky forum I wished I'd got more, and it was pointed out to me it's been reduced again from 26 June.

Just now, invergowrie arab said:

Yep

Although I have gone back to basics with 10 yo this week. No finer standard single malt IMO.

I would throw Springbank 10 and Bunnahabhain 12 in there as well. Both taste far older than they are.