whisky lovers

4 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Japanese whiskies tend to be very smooth, and are often sweetish. I'm very impressed by the Hibiki as well. I recommend a gamble.

That's how I found it.

Not unlike a Dalwhinnie. I revisited the yamakazi 12 last night and whilst it is still a fantastically balanced and well made whisky I was thinking perhaps too smooth. It was missing a bit of spice, heat and a bit of roughness round the edges. If they could get a bit of Talisker salt and pepper in there they would be onto something.

4 hours ago, Ziggy said:

I'm in Kuala Lumpur and tonight I'm going to the Whisky Bar

http://thewhiskybarkl.com/whisky-list/

might try try the Balvenie Portwood that everyone on here, including myself, are very envious of.

This is the best bar I have ever been in.

Its pricey though, the Balvenie port wood is £22 a nip. I'm gonna pick a few cheaper ones first.

Balvenie Triple Cask was 1st pick, it's brilliant.

54 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

Noticed in the Albanach on the Royal Mile it's £9. I was tempted but I never know if it's worth paying money in a bar for a less commonly drank whisky when you've no idea how long that bottle has been opened for.

This was a question I asked way back in the thread. How much does the quality of the whisky deteriorate once the bottle has been opened?

37 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

This was a question I asked way back in the thread. How much does the quality of the whisky deteriorate once the bottle has been opened?

I'm not sure of the science but if it's a matter of months then I think it should be negligible. If it's over a year then maybe it would suffer a bit of evaporation. Is a good bottle going to remain open on the royal mile for a year plus with all the well off tourists that visit?

I say go for it if you can justify it.

I'm not sure of the science but if it's a matter of months then I think it should be negligible. If it's over a year then maybe it would suffer a bit of evaporation. Is a good bottle going to remain open on the royal mile for a year plus with all the well off tourists that visit?
I say go for it if you can justify it.

The only issue is with it being a bar that stocks 200 odd whiskies I wonder how often certain ones will actually be asked for. I do want to try it though so might buy some next time I'm up that way.

3 minutes ago, Willie adie said:

I noticed the al convenience store had balvennie portwood . I think it was for £55. 

I will check again next time I'm in ,

If so that's literally half price. Dive on it.

Is aberfeldy a yey or ney?
got given the 12 as a pressie. Im sure Ive had it before but I cant remember if I liked it or not. It was either that or the Glenrothes I wasnt a fan of but I think it was the latter. Dont know whether to open it or not or keep as a shit gift to someone.

Monkeys mouthwash

I'm sure you're all on the edge of your seats waiting for an update of the whiskies I tried so here's the list.

Balvenie Triple cask 12yo
Benriach 15yo Pedro Ximenez
Balvenie 21yo Portwood
Glenlivet 18yo
Dalmore Cigar malt reserve
Macallan 12yo Double cask
Benromach 25yo
Kilkerran 12yo
Benriach 20yo
Kilchoman Port Cask Matured 

The best (or at least the one I enjoyed most) was the Balvenie Portwood, whilst the least impressive was the Dalmore Cigar Reserve. However all of them were very enjoyable.

I'd never heard of Kilkerran (I think it may be made by Springbank) and only had it as a guy at the bar reccomended it.

The most remarkable was the Kilchoman port Cask as it's only 3 yo but was easily a match for most of the whiskies on the list.

Edited by Ziggy
Drunk

I was away on business last year and the hotel I was billeted in had the Glenlivet 15, 18, and 21. So naturally, me and my co-worker skipped dinner and instead worked our way through the ages and stuck it on the expenses. The 18 was the only one I was disappointed with.

Dalmore are up there with Macallan in terms of overpricing ordinary whisky and it just goes mental into the higher aged stuff like that. 

Dalmore 18 is up there with my favourite dram but when you're into territory like the constellation batches then I'd agree with you.

Wonder what it tastes like...

2 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

Dalmore 18 is up there with my favourite dram but when you're into territory like the constellation batches then I'd agree with you.

Wonder what it tastes like...

Probably pretty good but would not be surprised to find something better at 1/35th of the price. For comparison, the 40yo Glenfarclas is £675 on the whisky exchange, the 50yo sharply up at £1850 but it's night and day on how they price it. 

They are the cheap end of the scale though and probably the best value bottles from the 17 upwards. 

That's why I get my Dalmore's through people I know that work there... normally around 2/3rds of the price 8)

I daresay it's the same with most distilleries TBH though, for a while I could get Balblair cheaper too.