what new phone to upgrade to

my phone upgrade is due soon, and the list of phones i can get for free from orange is

Galaxy S2

iPhone 4s 16GB

iPhone 4 8GB

Galaxy Ace

Blackberry Curve 9380

Xperia Ray

Blackberry Curve 8520

San Fransisco

Nokia C1-01

Atlanta

HTC Wildfire S

Rio 2

Nokia C2-01

Barcelona

Monte Carlo

Curve 9360

Samsung Wave 578

Acer Liquid Express

Samsung Galaxy Mini

Nokia Lumia 800

Samsung Galaxy Note

San Fransisco 2

Nokia 700

Blackberry Bold 9790

Samsung Tocco

HTC Explorer

Nokia Lumia 710

Samsung Solid Xcover

Sony Xperia

HTC One S

HTC One X

HTC Sensation XE

obviously the standout is the galaxy S2, but with the S3 rumoured to be out on May 3rd or about then and my upgrade not due until june i might have to wait, but then again i'll likely have to pay for it which kinda negates the point of a free upgrade (plus i go on holiday in june and cant really afford up to 100 quid for a phone upgrade)

what you thinks guys and gals

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look, nobody is going to give you a review of every smartphone on the market. Do your own research and eliminate the obvious ones that you don't want first. So for example, if you like the look of the Galaxy S2, then you're not going to be satisfied with the much smaller, older, and more limited Wildfire. So do your research and remove the ones you don't want, giving us a shortlist of a couple phones that you want to choose between.

Then follow up with what you are looking for in a phone, is it size? Big screen? Comfort in your hand? Power?

Do all that,THEN we'll be able to help you!:D

obviously the standout is the galaxy S2, but with the S3 rumoured to be out on May 3rd or about then and my upgrade not due until june i might have to wait, but then again i'll likely have to pay for it which kinda negates the point of a free upgrade (plus i go on holiday in june and cant really afford up to 100 quid for a phone upgrade)

what you thinks guys and gals

Is the standout not the new HTC One X which is meant to be fantastic.

If you are getting the One X for free they will probably give you the Galaxy S3 for free as well, definitely wait and see what Samsung announce in a few weeks.

Right now there are only 3 sensible options from that list. iPhone 4S, HTC One X or Galaxy Note.

i had a good look at the galaxy note review and they basically said it was a bigger S2, reading the review i couldnt see much difference in them that would make me choose it, although it did look rather nice

they 2 were the best of them all but i used techradar to read reviews of any phones i like the look of and the S2 wins by half a star according to them

I'd recommend you have a play with the One X before you buy it. The sheer size of the thing in your hand might put you off, same with the Note.

I'd recommend you have a play with the One X before you buy it. The sheer size of the thing in your hand might put you off, same with the Note.

thanks mate, will maybe check one out if i can find it anywhere, my old phone was the Nokia N8 so im not bothered if my new phone is the same size or slightly bigger, but if its like the galaxy note then i dont think i'll like it

Look, nobody is going to give you a review of every smartphone on the market. Do your own research and eliminate the obvious ones that you don't want first. So for example, if you like the look of the Galaxy S2, then you're not going to be satisfied with the much smaller, older, and more limited Wildfire. So do your research and remove the ones you don't want, giving us a shortlist of a couple phones that you want to choose between.

Then follow up with what you are looking for in a phone, is it size? Big screen? Comfort in your hand? Power?

Do all that,THEN we'll be able to help you!:D

tbh im not sure what i look for in a phone, what i liked about my old phone was the internet capabilities, plus (and i know it sounds daft) the texting, instead of a qwerty keyboard the N8 had a touchscreen phone keypad, combined with predictive text i found that way of texting much much easier

im kinda resigning myself to having a qwerty text system now though, hence why im stuck in what phone to get lol

XBL is right - you'll need to decide what you want from your phone, with regards power, capabilities etc. You've got the broadest spectrum possible on that list; you've got the best new phones (One X, Note etc), right down to some of the oldest and less powerful - I mean the Tocco Lite is almost 3 years old, it was a brick then with a horrendous touchscreen and it's a bigger brick now compared to the better phones, and the Orange Rio is just a differently badged ZTE Blade, again much less powerful.

That is the reason I was doubtful of your claims that you'd get any of those phones on an upgrade.

tbh im not sure what i look for in a phone, what i liked about my old phone was the internet capabilities, plus (and i know it sounds daft) the texting, instead of a qwerty keyboard the N8 had a touchscreen phone keypad, combined with predictive text i found that way of texting much much easier

im kinda resigning myself to having a qwerty text system now though, hence why im stuck in what phone to get lol

You get some keyboards where you can actually go back to the phone touchscreen if you prefer it. As far as I know, any Android phone offers that capability. My wee brother is the same, he has a Galaxy S, and went back to using the phone keypad. My Desire Z offers the same option. So an Android phone will give you that option if you prefer it!

Sensation xe is a piece of plastic sex.

Its the only large phone that I've felt really comfortable holding. The One X and the Galaxy were just a bit too big, but somehow the Sensation just felt "right". Android too, so you get to keep your phone keypad. However, its a good few months old now, so its a bit out of date.

You get some keyboards where you can actually go back to the phone touchscreen if you prefer it. As far as I know, any Android phone offers that capability. My wee brother is the same, he has a Galaxy S, and went back to using the phone keypad. My Desire Z offers the same option. So an Android phone will give you that option if you prefer it!

ah thats actually good to know, the reviews didnt mention that in any android phone i read about,

ah thats actually good to know, the reviews didnt mention that in any android phone i read about,

Even if its not part of the stock phone keyboard, there will undoubtedly be an app that will give you an old style keyboard.

To be honest, I found HTCs predictive text, using a QWERTY keyboard much easier than the old T9 anyway. Ive found that the Swiftkey keyboard does a very good job too

Archived