what new phone to upgrade to

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How do you tell what phone you can upgrade to on Orange? It seems to be suggesting I can get a 16GB iPhone 4s for free, the 32 GB one only costing £30 whereas the HTC One S and the Samsung Galaxy SII would cost about £200 each :unsure:

Have an HTC Desire at the moment, would have been quite happy to stick with this if the internal memory wasn't so pish.

How do you tell what phone you can upgrade to on Orange? It seems to be suggesting I can get a 16GB iPhone 4s for free, the 32 GB one only costing £30 whereas the HTC One S and the Samsung Galaxy SII would cost about £200 each :unsure:

Have an HTC Desire at the moment, would have been quite happy to stick with this if the internal memory wasn't so pish.

It's giving me the same, and like you, I can't understand how they can give those kind of prices. Anytime I've upgraded, I've done it over the phone with them and generally got a better deal. In saying that though, I usually find that their deals are pretty crap - especially i you're willing to take out a new contract, get a new number etc, then you can use any of the sites like dialaphone, buymobilephones etc.

It's giving me the same, and like you, I can't understand how they can give those kind of prices. Anytime I've upgraded, I've done it over the phone with them and generally got a better deal. In saying that though, I usually find that their deals are pretty crap - especially i you're willing to take out a new contract, get a new number etc, then you can use any of the sites like dialaphone, buymobilephones etc.

Don't even need to get a new number, you can pac it across. I've had 2 or 3 phones, in the last 4or 5 years and none have come from a upgrade department!

Don't even need to get a new number, you can pac it across. I've had 2 or 3 phones, in the last 4or 5 years and none have come from a upgrade department!

Aye, I should have added that if you wanted to stay with your current network (although I've heard of a few people who have kept their number but got new contracts with the same network). I'll be moving away from Orange when my contract expires, I only stayed with them due to their cheap (but terribly shite) broadband.

Seems I can upgrade now. Really tempted by the iPhone at £31 a month. Texts and minutes are fine but not sure about mobile internet. Would folk say 500MB a month is enough? I've had an HTC Desire for the past two years and haven't once gone over that limit but am I likely to be more at risk with an iPhone?

Seems I can upgrade now. Really tempted by the iPhone at £31 a month. Texts and minutes are fine but not sure about mobile internet. Would folk say 500MB a month is enough? I've had an HTC Desire for the past two years and haven't once gone over that limit but am I likely to be more at risk with an iPhone?

If you've had a Desire and want to "upgrade" to an iPhone, make sure to play with it first. I know a few people who have regretted that particular move.

This!

The internal memory of the desire is absolutely shambolic. Especially when Flash and Google maps take up so much internal storage without the option of mouting the apps to the SD card (unless you root the phone but i'm not prepared to do it). I'm glad the HTC have sorted this out and all of their more recent models do have sufficient internal capacity. The little storage notificiation is the bane of my life...I get it almost every day and have to clear Twitter/Facebook/Dolphin data...Can't wait to get the One X.

It all depends on how much you use it of course, but I have 500MB and I'm on it all the time and rarely make a dent in it. Mind you, I'm generally using a wi-fi connection but I find I'm never too far away from free wi-fi.

I just got the HTC One X and its an absolute cracker.

Its an absolute belter of a phone. Im really pleased with mine. :)

What's the battery life like? Standard smartphone fayre?

This!

The internal memory of the desire is absolutely shambolic. Especially when Flash and Google maps take up so much internal storage without the option of mouting the apps to the SD card (unless you root the phone but i'm not prepared to do it). I'm glad the HTC have sorted this out and all of their more recent models do have sufficient internal capacity. The little storage notificiation is the bane of my life...I get it almost every day and have to clear Twitter/Facebook/Dolphin data...Can't wait to get the One X.

The thing with the Desire, is that it was a tremendous phone but I'm not sure they predicted the way apps went at the time to take up memory, I think they believed app2sd, would make it fine. The storage was its downfall. Still one of the genuine classic mobiles to be released IMV. I gave it to my Dad after his phone broke, he's 70 and playing Angry Birds and all sorts. laugh.gif

My Sony Arc S has just upgraded to ICS and after Sony giving dire warnings on performance and all sorts, it was brilliant for me, performance wise. Long story short, app was playing up so I did a factory reset. Big, big mistake! Lost my bluetooth settings for my car's handsfree. No problem I'll just pair it. Apparently not- the ICS update has buggered pairing- so much so the phone will not prompt you to enter the passcode for the car handsfree. Only solution was to reflash Gingerbread, pair bluetooth, then do the ICS update. Seriously bad stuff, and I though Sony were improving. They have told me their designers are looking into it.

What's the battery life like? Standard smartphone fayre?

My battery has been awesome , even allowing for listening to music and playing games on teh train for 2 hours each day (trip from GLW to EDI and back) plus a few bits of surfing at lunchtime in work it stays above 50% which is still better than my Desire ever did.

Suppose if you hammer the shit out of it then it will not last long but ive found it very very good so far.

just went from my iPhone 4 £42 a month contract to a Nokia lumia 800 and the thing is brilliant!

Its quick as hell, easy to use and it comes with office!

Not to mention a free set of monster headphones

A free Xbox 360 and a wee free car accesory pack.

and what will it cost? £180 less a year (and I still have the iPhone!)

I am getting a Sony Experia tomorrow. This will be my first android phone, after a few years of being a self-confessed Apple fanboy, but I have had the iPhone 4 since the day of its release and I am starting to get bored of it.

Also came with a free PS Vita, so after I punt that, aswell as getting £200 off mazuma for the old iPhone, should just about cover the Experias 18 month contract.

Archived