what new phone to upgrade to

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The XE is excellent, IMO. I got one in February and I love it.

When upgrade time arrives, I'm hoping HTC reverse the trend of the top end phones being massive. The XE is big compared with an iphone, but it's still a comfortable enough size. The One X just looks too big, in all honesty.

I'm not a tech geek so can't say for sure, but the One S doesn't look like much of a step up from the XE. Maybe the XE would be better value?

Torn between the htc one s or one x, one x just looks too big, iv seen smaller screens on tv's laugh.gif

Anyone got the sensation or sensation xe and would recommend it?

Thanks

Got both in my house and the x is marginally bigger but better for me

Is a 24month contract too long for most people? Heard alot of people say they get sick of the same phone for 2 years.

Personally I wait 2 years before upgrading, have done for the last 3 phones and find it easy to do as long as you're careful when choosing a new model. Having just got the HTC One X there's no way I'd get sick of the sight of it :wub:

My checklist when upgrading;

* Avoid carrier locked models so you don't wait too long for updates

* Get as high end a phone as possible for your max spend so speed doesn't slow too much over time

* Make sure the screen is a good 'un - you'll be looking at it for 24 months!!

* Don't get a new model as soon as it comes out or you'll be paying premium

If I follow those rules I find I can manage 24 months with the same phone.

Personally I wait 2 years before upgrading, have done for the last 3 phones and find it easy to do as long as you're careful when choosing a new model. Having just got the HTC One X there's no way I'd get sick of the sight of it :wub:

My checklist when upgrading;

* Avoid carrier locked models so you don't wait too long for updates

* Get as high end a phone as possible for your max spend so speed doesn't slow too much over time

* Make sure the screen is a good 'un - you'll be looking at it for 24 months!!

* Don't get a new model as soon as it comes out or you'll be paying premium

If I follow those rules I find I can manage 24 months with the same phone.

Good advice. But does the first one not limit your choices quite severely? Whats on the market just now that doesnt have a carrier specific OS? The Nexus, obviously ... any else?

Good advice. But does the first one not limit your choices quite severely? Whats on the market just now that doesnt have a carrier specific OS? The Nexus, obviously ... any else?

Think he probably means avoid phones which are locked to a carrier.

orange still do 18month deals which offer less a month in terms of minutes, texts etc, but you can still generally find a deal that suits you

my last deal was 18months, i still got my 250mb of data and unlimited texts, only 100mins a month which is okay, and it cost 22.50 a month at first until they bumped it up a couple of quid

Guest The Phoenix

I have stubbornly resisted upgrading from my gas powered Samsung mobile that when pushed makes phone calls, knocks out texts and takes photos (not that I have any idea what to do once I've taken a photo).

I'm with Orange - Raccoon 15 (SIM only) £15:00 per month - and thanks to people who seem to feel the need to text me rather than have a proper conversation, I regularly go over my 100 texts per month. My 300 minutes call time is usually plenty due to the aforementioned texters and having no friends.

I send or receive at least 50 e-mails a day thanks to my work but up until now I've been relatively happy just to use my PC or Laptop for this purpose because at least I get a break from them when I'm out and about.

Advice please as to my best option to become upwardly mobile should I decide to take the plunge.

Final point, I really don't want to end up with a ridiculously high monthly bill but aside from that I'm easy pleased!

Thanks in advance to those with helpful replies and I promise to smile at those of a less serious nature.

TP

I have stubbornly resisted upgrading from my gas powered Samsung mobile that when pushed makes phone calls, knocks out texts and takes photos (not that I have any idea what to do once I've taken a photo).

I'm with Orange - Raccoon 15 (SIM only) £15:00 per month - and thanks to people who seem to feel the need to text me rather than have a proper conversation, I regularly go over my 100 texts per month. My 300 minutes call time is usually plenty due to the aforementioned texters and having no friends.

I send or receive at least 50 e-mails a day thanks to my work but up until now I've been relatively happy just to use my PC or Laptop for this purpose because at least I get a break from them when I'm out and about.

Advice please as to my best option to become upwardly mobile should I decide to take the plunge.

Final point, I really don't want to end up with a ridiculously high monthly bill but aside from that I'm easy pleased!

Thanks in advance to those with helpful replies and I promise to smile at those of a less serious nature.

TP

there are many different plans with orange that would suit you mate, how many texts do you end up sending, would 50minutes be enough for you a month

theres a panther plan for 15.50 a month, 50 mins, unlimited texts and comes with internet allowance, not sure how much, might be the bog standard 250 or 500mb

plus you'd get a new phone with that, only thing is that its 24months

Guest The Phoenix

there are many different plans with orange that would suit you mate, how many texts do you end up sending, would 50minutes be enough for you a month

theres a panther plan for 15.50 a month, 50 mins, unlimited texts and comes with internet allowance, not sure how much, might be the bog standard 250 or 500mb

plus you'd get a new phone with that, only thing is that its 24months

Cheers.

Probably looking for at least 200 minutes (I lied a little about having no friends and I also currently get free calls to landlines).

Ok with the two years, the worst thing that can happen to me is death.

Cheers.

Probably looking for at least 200 minutes (I lied a little about having no friends and I also currently get free calls to landlines).

Ok with the two years, the worst thing that can happen to me is death.

the dolphin 26 plan

400mins, unlimited texts, email and internet, 24months, 26quid a month, and most likely a brand spanking phone (you may get the Galaxy SII for free on that one)

Guest The Phoenix

the dolphin 26 plan

400mins, unlimited texts, email and internet, 24months, 26quid a month, and most likely a brand spanking phone (you may get the Galaxy SII for free on that one)

Cheers - I've had a look and that makes sense.

A Dolphin sounds a lot nicer than a Raccoon anyway. :ph34r:

Cheers - I've had a look and that makes sense.

A Dolphin sounds a lot nicer than a Raccoon anyway. :ph34r:

no problem mate, orange have a massive amount of plans, ive never failed to find a suitable plan with them, hence why ive been with them for 13 years now

Think he probably means avoid phones which are locked to a carrier.

Bingo! Go through a 3rd party website and get an unlocked phone. It's not a vanilla OS like a nexus but there's no Vodafone/o2/orange bumph added which means you only wait for the OEM software update.

Got a free HTC one X on orange panther for £20/month 100mins/unlimited texts/500mb data thru dialaphone so happy with that.

I am due an upgrade in September. I currently have an HTC legend and it is shit. So so shit. Had nothing but problems with it for 2 years...I am planning to go for another 2 year contract, but I need to choose wisely.

Right now, after a bit of thought and reading through this thread I am thinking about either the Iphone 4 or Samsung S2. The S2 looks good but after using Android software for 2 years I dont know if I can trust it again. Apple software sounds more reliable. However, I'm poor and would struggle to aquire the funds for a 4S. I don't even know if i can afford a 4.

Right now I am paying just over £20 for my HTC. I don't want to pay anymore than this a month. I am happy to pay towards a new phone for no more than £60. I am also with Vodafone and I am sick of them. Reception is always shit. Preferably i would like to move to another company.

Can anyone give me some advice? Writing this now has reminded me what a torrid time i have had for the last 2 years sad.gif

I loved my HTC Legend. Never had any bother. Far better looking than most of the phones out now too.

You see, I loved it when I first got it but I had to get a new handset when something went wrong with the battery/hardware. As of now with this new handset I constantly have problems with typing. Phone takes ages to register typed commands for example, texts and pressing a persons name for a call. The signal is usually always awful wherever I go and I rarely get 3G. Fucking sick of this lump of shit.

You see, I loved it when I first got it but I had to get a new handset when something went wrong with the battery/hardware. As of now with this new handset I constantly have problems with typing. Phone takes ages to register typed commands for example, texts and pressing a persons name for a call. The signal is usually always awful wherever I go and I rarely get 3G. Fucking sick of this lump of shit.

The S2 is a far better phone than the iPhone4 if you have had an andriod phone.Also with the S3 ut the price plans you will get it free will be a lot less than getting an iPhone4 free.

Right now I am paying just over £20 for my HTC. I don't want to pay anymore than this a month. I am happy to pay towards a new phone for no more than £60. I am also with Vodafone and I am sick of them. Reception is always shit. Preferably i would like to move to another company.

Can anyone give me some advice? Writing this now has reminded me what a torrid time i have had for the last 2 years sad.gif

go with orange as they have massive amount of contracts, however your 20 quid monthly limit will really hinder your chances of a decent phone nowadays, especially if your only going to spend 60 quid on it

look at the orange plans though, their dolphin and apnther plans are probably your best bet

Archived