what new phone to upgrade to

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Motorola and LG might have new phones too if anyone cares...

Usually with regards LG I would agree with your slightly condescending tone there - but the last couple of phones released by them have been really decent, the 4X in particular. It actually promised better than it delivered, but a couple of small things (iffy screen, poor sound quality) let it down.

Rumour has it that they will be announcing a new phone at the IFA in Berlin next week - the LG Optimus G. Spec sheets are what they are, but this monster looks to have it all; 4.7 inch HD screen, 2GB Ram, 13MP camera, quad core CPU. Looking forward to seeing this one, or at least a test unit.

Apple will be holding the event to introduce the new iphone on september 12 so it should release within the next 2 weeks or so. I would say certainly before October.

been rumoured to be 21st sept but no doubt will cost a lot more for handset and lan than galaxy 3

Has anyone been with Talkmobile? How are they? Currently looking at a deal on one of their tariffs.

I am with them. Absolutely fine, budget version of Vodafone, my car's bluetooth shows the network as Vodafone not Talkmobile when it connects.

My major complaint is that Vodafone's signal is so poor for 3G.

I'm in an awkward position in that I'm due for an upgrade now (have been for a few months) and currently have the first Samsung Galaxy, but I fancy a blackberry (I dunno why, I've just convinced myself I want a blackberry), but if I'm going to upgrade I'd rather get the BB10 as not overly impressed with the latest ones when you compare it to the SG3 or the iPhone5, but it's been put back to early 2013 at least.

If I upgrade now to another phone and end up on an 18 month contract, I'll have have to buy out a fair chunk of my contract to get the BB10. Or, sit with the Galaxy (which is on it's last legs, keeps freezing now, it's about two years old) for another 6 months. My plan at the moment is about £30 before VAT (500 mins, unlimited texts, 500mb internet) but I go over my internet allowance so I end up paying on average £55 a month for a half working galaxy.

Thought about cancelling the contract, getting a cheap PAYG for 6 months until the BB10 comes out. Suppose it's not guaranteed that's not going to be any good - I like having a good camera and some of the blackberrys are only about 3mp.

I'm in an awkward position in that I'm due for an upgrade now (have been for a few months) and currently have the first Samsung Galaxy, but I fancy a blackberry (I dunno why, I've just convinced myself I want a blackberry), but if I'm going to upgrade I'd rather get the BB10 as not overly impressed with the latest ones when you compare it to the SG3 or the iPhone5, but it's been put back to early 2013 at least.

If I upgrade now to another phone and end up on an 18 month contract, I'll have have to buy out a fair chunk of my contract to get the BB10. Or, sit with the Galaxy (which is on it's last legs, keeps freezing now, it's about two years old) for another 6 months. My plan at the moment is about £30 before VAT (500 mins, unlimited texts, 500mb internet) but I go over my internet allowance so I end up paying on average £55 a month for a half working galaxy.

Thought about cancelling the contract, getting a cheap PAYG for 6 months until the BB10 comes out. Suppose it's not guaranteed that's not going to be any good - I like having a good camera and some of the blackberrys are only about 3mp.

If you want something to keep you going, a few of my friends that were in a similar position use giff-gaff.

Giff Gaff

It kept them going reliably between contracts and they have a good internet deal.

The worst thing you can do when your contract runs out is nothing, either renew and get a new phone or cancel. Look at 3s the one plan. £15 if you bring your own phone, £30+ for any top smartphone. That means £15 a month is going towards paying for the handset that you paid off over the length of your contract.

Apple will be holding the event to introduce the new iphone on september 12 so it should release within the next 2 weeks or so. I would say certainly before October.

Is this actually the Iphone 5 release or will they do another "we never said it was the iphone 5 release" and simply pump out another modified version of the 4 (or in this case 4s)

1346530716[/url]' post='6587824']

Is this actually the Iphone 5 release or will they do another "we never said it was the iphone 5 release" and simply pump out another modified version of the 4 (or in this case 4s)

Does bumping it up a number really matter. It isn't like Apple are consistant or anything. They might drop numbers altogether like the ipad.

iPhone iPhone 3G iPhone 3GS iPhone 4 iPhone 4S

The next version is the 6th iPhone and it will get silly in a few years with iPhone 7, 8 etc.

• 1 month later...

Well, its upgrade time for me. My Desire Z is getting ever more decrepit, and yet, I haven't seen a single phone on the market in this country! All I want is a top end full power smartphone with a physical keyboard! :(

Well, its upgrade time for me. My Desire Z is getting ever more decrepit, and yet, I haven't seen a single phone on the market in this country! All I want is a top end full power smartphone with a physical keyboard! :(

I retired my Desire Z last week for a Galaxy S3 mate, I miss the physical keyboard but the S3 has a big enough screen and keyboard, and the spell checking software is good so it's not been that terrible so far. Great phone for me so far, got a tidy contract too, 2000 minutes, Unlimited texts and internet £33 a month.

Im just not wanting to make the switch, I love having a keyboard too much. My friends have One X's, and Nexus', so I want something right at the top end like that, with quad core, 8meg camera, Jelly Bean, but with a physical keyboard. I honestly think I would rather keep my Desire Z on a pay monthly for now.

Archived