what new phone to upgrade to

Im just not wanting to make the switch, I love having a keyboard too much. My friends have One X's, and Nexus', so I want something right at the top end like that, with quad core, 8meg camera, Jelly Bean, but with a physical keyboard. I honestly think I would rather keep my Desire Z on a pay monthly for now.

The last model I saw/read about was the Motorola Droid 4, was released in the states earlier this year - Dual core though, with ICS available as an update. Doesn't look like it will be released here.

As you said earlier on in the thread (I think), it would appear that it's a form factor the manufacturers are dropping or have already dropped - which is a shame, because I can certainly see why people would want one.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im just not wanting to make the switch, I love having a keyboard too much. My friends have One X's, and Nexus', so I want something right at the top end like that, with quad core, 8meg camera, Jelly Bean, but with a physical keyboard. I honestly think I would rather keep my Desire Z on a pay monthly for now.

Well I'd consider trying out a Touch type phone mate, they aren't as bad as you think. And I was in the exact same boat at you.

as the OP i thought i should update lol

Leaving Orange after a glorious 13 years with them to head over to O2

Wanted the S3 with Orange and the best they could offer me was free upgrade on 41 quid a month, or 50 quid upgrade price on 36 quid a month

O2 offer me free handset on 41 quid a month, but my missus works there so its a 30% discount on line rental, thats unlimited mins, unlimited texts and 1GB of data

Carphonewarehouse offered me 400mins, unlimited texts and 750mb of data on orange upgrade for 26 quid a month (should be 31 but online deal gives 5 quid off every bill)

so come friday i'll have the S3 :D

Well I'd consider trying out a Touch type phone mate, they aren't as bad as you think. And I was in the exact same boat at you.

I've had a touch phone before, and I do like them, I also quite like the Note, thinking about waiting for the Note 2 if they dont have a single keyboard phone that I can consider. I just much prefer to have a real keyboard!

Regarding the Droid 4, I like that phone a lot, but its not out over here, and I want more power!

I've had a touch phone before, and I do like them, I also quite like the Note, thinking about waiting for the Note 2 if they dont have a single keyboard phone that I can consider. I just much prefer to have a real keyboard!

Regarding the Droid 4, I like that phone a lot, but its not out over here, and I want more power!

Tbh mate it sounds like you want a S3 with a keyboard. There is an app for the S3 called SwiftKey which learns from your typing habits and auto corrects accordingly, since I started using it I've been typing as fast as I did when I used my Desire Z. It helps a hell of alot, it's not perfect but it's definetly better.

The Iphone 5 might be for you also tho, it has a bigger screen which will be handy for the larger keyboard onscreen. I wanted a upgraded desire ideally myself if im honest, but there just aren't any in this country, and it's a sad realisation :-(

Although, if I had to compromise, there are three that have caught my eye:

1. The Samsung Galaxy Note 2

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-note-2-1093688/review

Pros: Big! I know, I know, after all I've said, but unlike other gargantuan phones, the original Note was one of the only ones that actually felt comfortable, despite being bigger. Also, I feel I'd get more use out of the Stylus as I'm more of a keyboard user and writer. Cons: Touchwiz. I'd prefer plain vanilla.

2. HTC One X+.

http://www.htc.com/www/smartphones/htc-one-x-plus/

Pros: POWER! Also, of the overlays, the HTC Sense is the most bearable. Damn good audio apparently. Power. Did I mention Power? Cons: The original One X didn't look all that good to me, and weirdly despite being smaller than the Note, felt bigger and less comfortable in my hand.

3. LG Optimus G

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobile-phones/lg-optimus-g-review-50009230/

Pros: Now bear in mind that the rumours (and I have legit good sources on this) are that when this is released in this country, it will be a Nexus Phone, so vanilla Android. The specs look good, and the pictures look good too. Cons: Its a bit too much like a conventional smartphone, which I didn't really fancy using. Doesn't have that extra size of the Note 2.

So those are going to by my three options I think! I'm quite fussy about what I want from my phone. Firstly, I want power. So it has to be quad core, and right at the top end of phones. It also has to be a bit different from the crowd, so the Galaxy S3 is out. Also, I want a good camera to be able to take normal photos in a range of environments. Ideally, it should also have a physical keyboard. Oh, and taking it out of my pocket and looking at it should make me feel special. :D

So those are my three? Any others along these lines I could consider?

If you want to get a super rare high spec Android phone then track down a Panasonic Eluga Power or wait for the Huawei Ascend D Quad XL (the fastest phone in the world!). You will probably have to go through Expansys or EBay to get either one but if feeling special is a priority then no one else will have these phones.

You could get a windows phone like the Lumia 920, HTC 8X or Samsung Ativ. They might be rare.

From the phones you have listed the One X+ is probably the beast to go for to fulfill most of your criteria. There are going to no high end keyboard phones out until Blackberry 10 and even they will probably be terrible.

I retired my Desire Z last week for a Galaxy S3 mate, I miss the physical keyboard but the S3 has a big enough screen and keyboard, and the spell checking software is good so it's not been that terrible so far. Great phone for me so far, got a tidy contract too, 2000 minutes, Unlimited texts and internet £33 a month.

iam on same package t-mobile full monty, 1 thing i have a galaxy 3 love it but wheres the spell check software?

iam on same package t-mobile full monty, 1 thing i have a galaxy 3 love it but wheres the spell check software?

It's an app called SwiftKey 3 you can download it from the market place aka play store. I downloaded the free one then when I seen how much it improved my typing I installed the full for 69p

I`m a little over a month until upgrade time again. Have used the original HTC Desire over the last couple of years & like the Android system, no iPhone for me. Looking like it`ll be a straight fight between the Galaxy S3 & HTC One X.

Also I`m currently on a friends & family package with O2, saving me 30%. Some of the deals(mostly on 3) kicking about on buymobilephones.net will beat upgrade offers even with the 30% saving! Having not used 3 before, is it a decent network? Can`t imagine it`ll be any different to O2, I do spend a bit of time travelling about the Highlands & Islands where coverage can be a bit shaky though.

I`m a little over a month until upgrade time again. Have used the original HTC Desire over the last couple of years & like the Android system, no iPhone for me. Looking like it`ll be a straight fight between the Galaxy S3 & HTC One X.

Also I`m currently on a friends & family package with O2, saving me 30%. Some of the deals(mostly on 3) kicking about on buymobilephones.net will beat upgrade offers even with the 30% saving! Having not used 3 before, is it a decent network? Can`t imagine it`ll be any different to O2, I do spend a bit of time travelling about the Highlands & Islands where coverage can be a bit shaky though.

Regarding the One X, if you wait a couple weeks, the One X+ will be out by then. And that is basically the pimped version. Regarding the two phones, the One X looks a million times better, but the SIII feels much better in your hand. Or at least, thats my take on it. Also, I'd prefer to have the Sense UI rather than the TouchWiz that the SIII offers. If I was picking between the two, I'd easily go the One X+!

I am on 3 and live up near Ullapool and the coverage for calls texts is probably better than Vodafone who I was with previously. I think they piggyback other networks so now I get a signal if in Lochinver for instance whereas before I couldn't. Internet is patchy but when in range is fine. Obviously there are a lot of 'dead' spots but that is to be expected.

Not sure re Isles as I haven't been over since I switched to 3.

well i got the S3 yesterday afternoon, been messing around with it, trying to work out its features (thanks to goggle also)

few minor tit bits for me, the stock SMS system only allows a group text of up to 10 people, being the manager of an amateur football team thats fucking pointless, even my old Nokia N8 group text as many as i needed, i had to download an app called handcent which allows me to send a full group text

it also has 7 home screens for all your garbage, i like to keep mine clean like on my N8 and simply have some family photos on them instead, but i still havent found a way, if there is one, to have a different photo on each home screen, its the same one :(

when you first use the internet on it you really have to f**k about with the font sizes to find your desired level, and some web pages end up different in size than others,

and the length of the battery charging cord is shite, tht is another thing apple could have sued them on lol

and thats all ive found wrong so far, no doubt the more i mess about the more i'll find other wee minor issues i need to get used to, on the plus side

the motion system in it is fantastic, pick it up and it alerts you to missed calls and texts, read a text and need to phone the person, simply place it to your ear, also i thought the qwerty keyboard would never be for me, the galaxy S3 has a fantastic keyboard that im already using and fine with

plus the screen is fucking tremendous

it also has 7 home screens for all your garbage, i like to keep mine clean like on my N8 and simply have some family photos on them instead, but i still havent found a way, if there is one, to have a different photo on each home screen, its the same one :(

Try a free (IIRC) app called Dodol Wallpaper. Its a really handy app for that kind of stuff. It lets you use a photo to create a wallpaper the way you want it to appear, and you can also "stitch" wallpapers together. Maybe try giving that a shot?

Try a free (IIRC) app called Dodol Wallpaper. Its a really handy app for that kind of stuff. It lets you use a photo to create a wallpaper the way you want it to appear, and you can also "stitch" wallpapers together. Maybe try giving that a shot?

cheers mate, will give it a bash, as ive said they are just niggling faults, nothing that will stop me enjoying the phone, the apps are already miles ahead of anything ive ever had on a phone

Battery life is awesome considering ive not put it down

Im currently awaiting upgrade time at the end of this month, and trying to choose between the One X and a Sony Experia of some description that I haven't quite decided.

I'd like to do away with having a music player as well as a phone so the One X having the Beats Audio technology appeals to me and it appears to be calibrated for their in-ear phones, but as I currently have a Desire HD they look really REALLY similar and i'd like a change, which sways be toward the experia which I really like the look of, nice and different and may even go for the white one for a complete change...but then I lose the superior audio for music which is a big thing im looking for.

But then im also thinking....the battery lives on these are that shit, is there any point in using a smartphone as a media player when you're out and about for a whole day?

Decisions decisions....I love and hate new phone time equally for different reasons!!

Regarding network - the wife moved to 3 a couple of months ago, and has been more than pleasantly surprised. Lightning fast internet - certainly far superior to any other provider she's had.

Archived