what new phone to upgrade to

You can pre order them from Google here;

Clicky

review

I`ve almost convinced myself that I`m gonna splash out on the 16GB version & go with Giffgaff, 3 or whoever rather than be tied to a 24 month contract with the S3.

The camera may not quite be of the standard of the S3, but I`ve got my own digital compact for that sort of thing anyway, it`ll suffice my needs. I`ll manage fine with the 16GB limit without a doubt. The price and not being tied to a contract are plus points not to be sneezed at.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep I am going to get one of those but pay the extra £40 for a 16Gb version.

Typing this from my new one x plus, absolutely delighted with it so far, good upgrade deal via phones 4 u on orange. Free handset, 700 mins, unlimited texts, gig and a half off data for £28.50 a month.

phone is fast enough for my needs on 3g, just done a speedtest and I'm getting 8meg download and 3meg upload.

quoted the wrong post because I am a fud

Any Note users? I'm way keen, but really unsure whether I want to look like I'm talking into a baking tray. Pros/Cons?

Short review: :wub:

Longer review, it is absolutely excellent. Firstly, I barely use the touchscreen for typing. The stylus is good. I mean really good, and I generally handwrite most of my texts/messages/posts. I never expected it to be so good, but it is. I also use it a lot for (appropriately enough) taking notes. For wee things like shopping lists and notes to self, its absolutely excellent. I have also used it for drawing quick diagrams on the fly. Oh, and the increased screen size is wonderful. I am a heavy, heavy user, as I play a couple games on it, and find myself using that instead of switching on my computer at nights, but still, the battery is adequate to get into the second day. On a busy day without really using it much, it will do two days. The sound quality is also surprisingly good.

There are a couple cons. Firstly, the default launcher is a bit irritating. I switched to Nova though, which got rid of that. I'm a bit wary about rooting it though, as a couple of the stylus specific apps are really good. It also just occasionally feels a wee bit big in the hand when I've been holding it up to watch videos. No, that isn't a euphemism. I guess thats an issue if you have tiny hands. I also had to download an additional email client as the default one was a bit pish, and a few of the other samsung ones are a bit pointless. It would feel like absolute overkill if I was a lighter user, but I use it a lot, and for me its worth it.

Regarding its size, if you wear skinny jeans, you'll notice it, but if you dress like a human male, you're going to be okay. People do pass comment on it occasionally, but given that I also drive a ludicrous car, it just lets me make self deprecating (yet depressingly true) jokes about compensating. I tend not to make many calls, but to be honest, it doesn't feel as ridiculous as I imagined it would. Its not really any different from using a house phone (remember them?). So in summary, worth it if you're a heavy heavy phone user (I tend to travel a fair bit for work, I use it for a sat nav, for mapping, work, and also heavy browsing), and you intend to use it as a replacement for a full tablet. If you don't use your phone all that heavily, or already have something like a Galaxy Tab or an Ipad and travel with it, then it seems a bit overkill.

Just to restate though. :wub:

Don't regret it for a moment!

See, I am a heavy user, and don't have a tablet (invested in the tiny alienware for long journeys, and its awesome), for all the reasons you listed I'm way tempted.

Cheers for the info, particularly re: battery. I've got an HTC Desire HD just now, and its the absolute pits in that regard. Can upgrade next Monday, so will give it a think!

See, I am a heavy user, and don't have a tablet (invested in the tiny alienware for long journeys, and its awesome), for all the reasons you listed I'm way tempted.

Cheers for the info, particularly re: battery. I've got an HTC Desire HD just now, and its the absolute pits in that regard. Can upgrade next Monday, so will give it a think!

xbl has the Note 2 (the lucky barsteward *shakes fist*) and I have the first gen version. Mine is a top quality phone, easily the best phone Ive ever owned.

I had a Desire Z, and the battery of the Note 2 doesn't just own it, but it owns its children and rapes them Jimmy Savile style. I really can't believe how good it is in comparison.

xbl has the Note 2 (the lucky barsteward *shakes fist*) and I have the first gen version. Mine is a top quality phone, easily the best phone Ive ever owned.

I was comparing my Note 2 with the old Note the other week. Pleasing. 8)

Its upgrade time for me again too and i'm taking a look at either the Note 2 or Galaxy S3. Are there any major new smartphones in the works that might be worth holding out for? I'm tempted to switch to giffgaff and keep my old phone for a few months if there is something worth waiting for because i'd hate to take out a 2 year contract now and then in 2 months time something miles better appears.

Its upgrade time for me again too and i'm taking a look at either the Note 2 or Galaxy S3. Are there any major new smartphones in the works that might be worth holding out for? I'm tempted to switch to giffgaff and keep my old phone for a few months if there is something worth waiting for because i'd hate to take out a 2 year contract now and then in 2 months time something miles better appears.

I suppose it depends how long you're willing to wait - April/May will probably see the next release of new handsets although whether there'll be anything approaching the standard of the Note II is doubtful. I do like the look of the new HTC monster, the Droid DNA, but at the moment its only going to be available in America.

• 2 months later...

Now contract free and looking at the Xperia Z or the Blackberry Z10 which I think looks smart but I'm edging towards the Sony on contract.Spotted it with O2 for 27 blabs a month.

Had a wee shot of it yesterday, at a 3 store in Livingston. It's a beautiful piece of kit.

Now contract free and looking at the Xperia Z or the Blackberry Z10 which I think looks smart but I'm edging towards the Sony on contract.Spotted it with O2 for 27 blabs a month.

I wouldn't touch the Sony if its anything like the Xperia S.

Currently got a Galaxy S2. Due to upgrade this week and narrowed my choices down to the Sony Xperia Z or an iPhone 5. I don't think the Sony is out until the 28th but it looks cracking. Would anyone recommend one over the other or is there anything better out there?

Currently got a Galaxy S2. Due to upgrade this week and narrowed my choices down to the Sony Xperia Z or an iPhone 5. I don't think the Sony is out until the 28th but it looks cracking. Would anyone recommend one over the other or is there anything better out there?

Have you actually had a go of an iPhone?

I'm stunned that anyone would have a Samsung Galaxy S2 and then decide to switch to iPhone tbh ..

Have you actually had a go of an iPhone?

I'm stunned that anyone would have a Samsung Galaxy S2 and then decide to switch to iPhone tbh ..

I understand your point with regards to comparing a Galaxy S2 with an iPhone 4 or 4S. I've tried both of those and my preference is definitely the Samsung. But surely a Galaxy S2 isn't better than the iPhone 5? I say that because i've never actually tried an iPhone 5. I just assumed it would be up amongst the best phones out right now.

I understand your point with regards to comparing a Galaxy S2 with an iPhone 4 or 4S. I've tried both of those and my preference is definitely the Samsung. But surely a Galaxy S2 isn't better than the iPhone 5? I say that because i've never actually tried an iPhone 5. I just assumed it would be up amongst the best phones out right now.

No doubting it's amongst the best, but I'd have though the more natural choice would've been to wait for the S4. That's exactly what I'll be doing though my contract with the S2 is until October or something.

I've only had brief dealings with an iPhone but I just don't get the feel of it and I've yet to see a feature that isn't done better elsewhere!

Archived