what new phone to upgrade to

Thing that gets me is the "upgrade your 3G phone to an equivalent 4G one for £99" line. I have the HTC One X and I'll be damned if I'm shelling out 100 sheets so that I can be blessed with a phone (HTC One XL) that has a worse screen and worse processor! And be hindered with their pricey data plans? Jog on.

Now we know why EE wanted to be in first - sign up the dafties on 2 year plans before the competition come in and drive the prices down.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now we know why EE wanted to be in first - sign up the dafties on 2 year plans before the competition come in and drive the prices down.

Spot on. 4G is good but at a premium over 3G and on some poorer phones it's a joke.

I want to get 4G in time, but not at that price, so I've downgraded to £8/30 day contract with Talkmobile and will wait on renewing a phone and contract until 4G phones and plans are more widespread. In saying that my phone got drowned last week in the rain, so waiting on insurance dealing with it!

I am on EE (not 4G) and I have found that their signal is worse than when I was just using Orange. When I get the train between Aberdeen and Inverness I now get no reception between Inverurie and Elgin and lose it again between Forres and Nairn. No idea why this is. Are they selling off masts they no longer need?

Thats a point actually. I get f**k all 3G most of the time as it is. How wide is the 4G coverage going to be? Is this going to be another "except for viewers in Scotland" scenario?

Coverage

There're ten cities going to get it at launch, so next week. They are

Birmingham

Bristol

Cardiff

Edinburgh

Glasgow

Leeds

Liverpool

London

Manchester

Sheffield

Southampton

Belfast, Derby, Hull, Nottingham & Newcastle should have it by the end of the year, and of course they are covering every base going by saying that more locations will be added to the network "every day!"

I daresay other places may be more notable by their absence, but no Aberdeen even by the turn of the year surprises me a bit.

Thats a point actually. I get f**k all 3G most of the time as it is. How wide is the 4G coverage going to be? Is this going to be another "except for viewers in Scotland" scenario?

Deployed in major cities first so Glasgow and Edinburgh are both in the initial rollout window which means 4G service before the new year. It seems pretty small coverage too, Glasgow doesn't extend out very far east or west. Paisley looks like patchy coverage and you might get 4G in Uddingston but it is hard to tell.

It is hard to tell from the crappy map which seems intended to obfuscate the scope of their network. My link. It will probably be really fast when you are connected as I don't see many snapping up the overpriced deals.

I am on EE (not 4G) and I have found that their signal is worse than when I was just using Orange. When I get the train between Aberdeen and Inverness I now get no reception between Inverurie and Elgin and lose it again between Forres and Nairn. No idea why this is. Are they selling off masts they no longer need?

As far as I can tell the 3G should be unaffected but you might be getting worse reception in areas where you were only getting 2G before. They've had to sell some of their 2G spectrum to Three for competition reasons and are using part of the same spectrum to provide 4G, but presumably that'll only be in areas with 4G already.

Archived