what new phone to upgrade to

Shit shit shit. 5live running a feature on the rise of the Chinese manufactures xaomi and jiayu in 30 mins time

This could be very very bad for me getting the black 2/32 gig

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...

I'm looking for some recommendations for a new (to me) phone. I currently have a HTC One. It still works well as a telephone but over time the wifi signal got weaker and weaker until it didn't work. I looked on the net and it's a common problem. I tried one fix which involved removing the gubbins from the case and applying two blobs of solder. Successful but only for a short while. I tried another trick of inserting a coin between phone and protective cover and this too worked but only for a while.

SO, what I am asking is, which 5 inch-ish screen phone has anyone used for more than a year which is still functioning as it should?

I'm looking for some recommendations for a new (to me) phone. I currently have a HTC One. It still works well as a telephone but over time the wifi signal got weaker and weaker until it didn't work. I looked on the net and it's a common problem. I tried one fix which involved removing the gubbins from the case and applying two blobs of solder. Successful but only for a short while. I tried another trick of inserting a coin between phone and protective cover and this too worked but only for a while.

SO, what I am asking is, which 5 inch-ish screen phone has anyone used for more than a year which is still functioning as it should?

You getting a contract or sim free?

I would recommend the nexus 5.

Pre-ordered the Sony Xperia Z3 last week, should be delivered on Thursday or Friday. Upgrading from a Samsung Galaxy SII.

Is the old one still working well? Are you just upgrading because you can? I'm on PAYG as it's all I need.

Thanks Romeo for input.

what deal are you on?

Yes, as Mr X has said am in Australia so unless you want to pay massive roaming fees then it's not for you! Although that's not strictly true as Optus have reduced roaming fees and don't allow you to rack up massive bills any longer.

FWIW I really wanted to switch to Virgin (as their plans have international texts and calls included in your monthly allowance) but I plumped to stay with my current provider (Optus) as they had a "pre-order an Xperia Z3, get a PS4" promo. I've hopefully been within the first 100 to get that.

Is the old one still working well? Are you just upgrading because you can? I'm on PAYG as it's all I need.

Thanks Romeo for input.

The old one does work and I really like it, but it's nearly 3 years old now and it's starting to play up - radio/music cuts out whenever you touch the headphone input which is incredibly annoying, Google voice Search seems to pop up randomly, hangs quite a lot - I really wanted to get a Galaxy S5 but Samsung have stopped adding an FM radio to their handsets so I'm switching to Sony.

The old one does work and I really like it, but it's nearly 3 years old now and it's starting to play up - radio/music cuts out whenever you touch the headphone input which is incredibly annoying, Google voice Search seems to pop up randomly, hangs quite a lot - I really wanted to get a Galaxy S5 but Samsung have stopped adding an FM radio to their handsets so I'm switching to Sony.

Thanks for the info on FM. I consider that a 'must have'. It really is tricky. Too much choice really. You can't test all the new phones available and have no idea if they will be any good/suitable. As far as I can tell there isn't even a particular brand which is a stickout. It seems all of them fall down one way or another at different times.

Thanks for the info on FM. I consider that a 'must have'. It really is tricky. Too much choice really. You can't test all the new phones available and have no idea if they will be any good/suitable. As far as I can tell there isn't even a particular brand which is a stickout. It seems all of them fall down one way or another at different times.

If you are looking for reviews/specs I always go to GSMArena

iam the opposite had samsung galaxy major charging problems to the point i couldnt charge it with battery in it so had to work with 2 batteries and a external charger. I swore i,d never get a i-phone when everyone elese had one but chose 1 over the sony zperia and love it wondered why i never had one before

I'm due an upgrade and I have a question: do network companies match or better online deals through companies such as mobile phones direct? Just off the phone with o2 who say they don't. Are they bullshitting me or do they speak the truth? Is it a case of me having to say I'm going to leave until they offer me a better deal?

• 2 weeks later...

My wife got the Amazon Fire phone and I got her S5 as my HTC One M8 got ran over by a van :oops

Run over by a van; Is a van driver? One for the fraud department to investigate there.

Archived