what new phone to upgrade to

I'm torn between the iPhone, HTC One X and the Samsung Galaxy SIII. I'm a complete novice when it comes to phones, so have settled for crap ones for too long. I want one with ease of internet use and have never tried texting using QWERTY, so it scares me. Am I correct in thinking that the iPhone only has that option? I've read reviews, held them in my hand and all three look great. Help.

Went for a cheaper option in the end, and plumped for the Samsung Galaxy S2. That is why I am posting at this ridiculously late hour. Love the phone having suffered rubbish ones for years. The QWERTY keyboard is fine as well. Right, I must go to bed and stop downloading apps!

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went for the Galaxy S2. It's probably the best within my price range and I'm getting 50 minutes, 250 txts and 1.5Gb of data. I don't make alot of phone calls and only send a few txtx a day but use the internet on my phone quite alot so this is perfect for me.

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone thinking of using BuyMobilePhones.net - the missus got a Galaxy Note on Friday, on the 3 network - she's got 300 minutes, 5000 texts and unlimited data, the phone itself was buckshee - all for £22 a month.

Also, the phone was advertised as being on Android 2.3.5 (Gingerbread), but it is in fact 4.0.3 (ICS).

She's made up, and I can't handle her gloating.:angry:

Probably going to get one of the Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830, S5670 or S5360.

They seem to be the best value when I was looking for a phone on Orange that comes with a free Nintendo 3DS. Because I spend most of my time texting then the minutes aren't a major want so it looks like the Panther plan is probably going to be my best option (100 minutes with 500 MB of data for about 22, 19 or 17 quid, respectively as listed at the start)

Anyone got any of these three phones that can shed some light on their benefits or negatives? I had a quick look at the specs on a site and compared them and I think the S5670 looked the best. I seem to recall the S5360(assuming without confirming because it's the cheapest) that the camera was significantly lower than the other two, 2 megapixels compared to 5 for the other two IIRC.

I've got plenty of time as my current plan doesn't run out for either a week or three weeks (not sure if it ends when I started the contract, 12th of August, or when the first bill was from, 27th of August)

Also, when they say cashback, I take it that they literally give you the stated amount? It's just when they're saying that the effective monthly cost is X amount, I was wondering if they give you the cashback but still charge you the normal amount. To get the effective monthly cost you'd obviously need to keep that money in your account.

edit: actually looking at the website Mozam posted above and they have the Galaxy Ace Plus and Galaxy Xcover which seem to be of similar value on that plan. If anyone has experience of those as well, it'd be much appreciated.

Girl in my work with original Samsung Galaxy...like me...(£36 per month) wants to upgrade to S3 with T Mobile. They wouldn't budge on price so she cancelled with a months notice. They called her back the next day and said they could do it for £31 a month. In the meantime Vodafone said they do a deal for certain emergency services and forces at 20% off so they do the S3 for £29 a month.

It definitely pays to shop around and play hardball for the best deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't decide between the Galaxy Nexus and SII (SIII just feels massive in my average sized hands).

Is the Nexus still a decent choice? I've heard the screen is brilliant and the phone runs amazingly well with Jellybean. However, I can't seem to find a demo in any of the phone shops so have only got pictures to go by.

SII looks gorgeous as well though.

Any help would be great :).

I thought the SIII would be too big as well but you quickly get used to it - my HTC seems tiny by comparison!

The more disconcerting thing is that it's quite light despite the size.

Thought I would post some information about upcoming phones for anyone looking for the future.

Obviously the big deal will be the iPhone 5 (or whatever they end up calling it) that should be out at the end of September.

Nokia is announcing Windows Phone 8 devices in two weeks, expect them out in a October. When other manufacturers release phones is still up in the air. Potentially Samsung and HTC could bring SIII and One X hardware for new WP8 devices.

For Android Samsung is rumoured to be bringing out the Note 2 and it is speculated to have an even larger screen. There will probably be a new Nexus device (or five) from Google and a partner but that seems to be under wraps. HTC planned to consolidate its line up rather than release devices rapidly but I don't see them missing the Christmas market with no new hardware. Motorola and LG might have new phones too if anyone cares...

There is also the issue of LTE networks. Orange/T-mobile has just got permission to launch a 4g network for mid September, assuming they are on the ball the next iPhone could be LTE compatible giving Orange/T-mobile a huge advantage in network speed. Some other 4g phones might also make an appearance but there will probably be a premium to get on the new network.

Things should hot up in the next few weeks as everyone refreshes their line-ups for Santa.

due to upgrade next sat was originally going for i-pohne then a few months ago changed my mind to samsung galaxy 3, which i still want, with this apple patent ruling am i best getting a i-phone ??

I think the i-phone looks a bit outdated now when comparing them with the likes of the S3 or One X, just my opinion though.

due to upgrade next sat was originally going for i-pohne then a few months ago changed my mind to samsung galaxy 3, which i still want, with this apple patent ruling am i best getting a i-phone ??

New iPhone out in September. I'd advise you wait until then.

Same here but I don't see any difference since the update so far.

I've noticed smoother scrolling and have been able to set up the bottom right recent apps button as a menu button instead which is better than the 3 dots nonsense taking up screen real estate

Archived