what new phone to upgrade to

Dunno. I only have 500mb but have never gone over it as I use wi-fi when I can and only have data turned on when I'm using it.

i have a backberry with push e-mail, i use e-mail a awful lot during day but very rarely internet, 500-750 mb deals always better than unlimited is why i ask

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have unlimited data but always wondered how long does 750 mb last ?

(According to T-Mobile) 750MB equtes to around:

50 Emails with average sized attachment

or

250 visits to simple sites like Twitter or Blogs

or

75 visits to rich-content sites like bbc.co.uk or guardian.co.uk a day

or

5 4.5 min YouTube Videos a day

In practice I average just over 500MB a month. I've just switched to T-Mobile and - although its not obvious - it appears they don't charge you if you go over your limit - does any know if that's right?

I noticed that I just went over 1 gig in this last month (on a recently upgraded 'all-you-can-eat' i.e. 5gb cap). That was probably due to moderate Spotify streaming and podcast downloading. I never went over my previous 1 gig cap, but 3 were always kind in sending me warnings, so that I would then know to rely on wi-fi more.

Changed my order to the white phone. Don't mind waiting a few days, but more than a week is a bit silly when the only problem is the colour. Exact same deal, just a white phone so should get it tomorrow.

If you're sensible with your data and don't have it switched on permanently then 500mb is plenty - although I dunno if the latest phones need more to operate. The only thing I really missed was not wanting to watch Sky stuff incase it took up my allowance in 10 minutes. It probably helps that I don't use my phone anywhere near as much as I could (not helped by the HTC Desire's pish internal memory) and that's something I'm planning to work on with this new one.

Cheers Stu! Think I'll hang off ordering just now as Virgin Media are supposed to getting stock of the Galaxy S3 at the end of the month and as I'm with them just now I'm hoping they'll be able to offer me a better deal than what's being offered just now in the market.

Going to upgrade to the Samsung S2 - aware that it's now technically an old model and all the rest of it but my current phone is rotten and I don't really fancy paying a great deal more than I currently am for my phone.

Basically, what I want to know is, will I be able to change the keypad for texting and the like away from QWERTY to the traditional phone 'ABC' type set-up? I'm the only person I know that prefers things that way but I just cannot take to a QWERTY keypad at all.

i have unlimited data but always wondered how long does 750 mb last ?

I get 500 Mb and that is fine for emails unless they come with or you are sending ones with massive attachments. You would also need to be uploading a lot of pictures to the likes of Facebook to go over that. When you are at home switch to Wi Fi and you will also help to cut down on data usage.

I noticed that I just went over 1 gig in this last month (on a recently upgraded 'all-you-can-eat' i.e. 5gb cap). That was probably due to moderate Spotify streaming and podcast downloading. I never went over my previous 1 gig cap, but 3 were always kind in sending me warnings, so that I would then know to rely on wi-fi more.

Streaming Spotify will use a fair chunk of any allowance. I downloaded an app that allows me to listen to pretty much any UK radio station. I used it on 3G and it ate a few Mb in a few minutes. Only use it on Wi Fi now.

(According to T-Mobile) 750MB equtes to around:

50 Emails with average sized attachment

or

250 visits to simple sites like Twitter or Blogs

or

75 visits to rich-content sites like bbc.co.uk or guardian.co.uk a day

or

5 4.5 min YouTube Videos a day

In practice I average just over 500MB a month. I've just switched to T-Mobile and - although its not obvious - it appears they don't charge you if you go over your limit - does any know if that's right?

think i,ll need to stick with unlimited i use twitter about 10+ times a day and get 25+ e-mails some days

Going to upgrade to the Samsung S2 - aware that it's now technically an old model and all the rest of it but my current phone is rotten and I don't really fancy paying a great deal more than I currently am for my phone.

Basically, what I want to know is, will I be able to change the keypad for texting and the like away from QWERTY to the traditional phone 'ABC' type set-up? I'm the only person I know that prefers things that way but I just cannot take to a QWERTY keypad at all.

It should be Settings >>> Locale & Text >>> Input Settings >>> Samsung Keypad >>> Portrait keypad types.

I should note that this is how it is on the Galaxy S, but I'd imagine the S2 won't be hugely different from that. You'll definitely be able to change it though, I'm absolutely certain.

With regards data usage - I've been working nights the last month, and have noticed that my usage has increased massively. I don't go near Youtube or iPlayer or anywhere that streams, yet this month I've still managed to use 641.5MB. That is browsing only and using twitter - even my background syncs for email, FB the like are switched off. I'll definitely be getting an all you can eat plan next time.

? Really ??? Reason for asking is that 3 don't cap the all you can eat.. I 'usually' am a gig a day, sometimes more on all you can eat, and never had any contact from them.

Afaik, they 'might' look at 60 gig a month or more as being 'iffy', but apart from that its fill yer (mega)bits ;)

thank f**k someone else prefers it that way, my Nokia N8 uses both depending on how you hold the phone, the predictive text is brilliant with a phone keypad rather than a normal qwerty one

Im sure the samsungs allow you to change the keypad layout

? Really ??? Reason for asking is that 3 don't cap the all you can eat.. I 'usually' am a gig a day, sometimes more on all you can eat, and never had any contact from them.

Afaik, they 'might' look at 60 gig a month or more as being 'iffy', but apart from that its fill yer (mega)bits ;)

a gig a day, fucking hell do you watch 10 hours of tv on your phone

Showing my ignorance but is there anything that says I shouldn't take my current micro SD card out the HTC Desire and put it in the new Galaxy?

Showing my ignorance but is there anything that says I shouldn't take my current micro SD card out the HTC Desire and put it in the new Galaxy?

Maybe, only if you have apps on your SD card, though I would have thought.

IIRC I took mine out of my Dell Streak to use in the Note, but I think I copied everything onto the PC, formatted the SD card and then copied the music and pics back across.

I meant that I would get the warning that I was close to the cap when I was on the 1 gig/month tariff. I wouldn't expect that now that I have the 'all you can eat' one.

just went from my iPhone 4 £42 a month contract to a Nokia lumia 800 and the thing is brilliant!

Its quick as hell, easy to use and it comes with office!

Not to mention a free set of monster headphones

A free Xbox 360 and a wee free car accesory pack.

and what will it cost? £180 less a year (and I still have the iPhone!)

Bad news for Windows Phone 7 users today. No software update to Windows Phone 8 My link.

On the brightside for people who like the look of Windows Phone but have a few months left on their contract Windows Phone 8 looks awesome My link

The big news is that Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 share the same kernel and core features. If someone makes a Windows 8 app it will be easy for them to bring it to phones and native coding is now supported meaning games like Angry Birds etc should come to WP8 devices quicker.

Still getting used to the S3 - and still to get my number transferred across - but seems like a cracking phone. Got a text from T-Mobile this morning telling me my wi-fi access had been set up - which is strange as I was unaware my deal came with wi-fi. Must investigate.

Archived