what new phone to upgrade to

ah thats actually good to know, the reviews didnt mention that in any android phone i read about,

The stock Samsung keyboard on Android allows you four different types of keyboard ; two different types of handwriting input, a standard 3X4 keyboard and a standard qwerty keyboard. That's on the stock Samsung keyboard, on a phone that's over a year old.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even if its not part of the stock phone keyboard, there will undoubtedly be an app that will give you an old style keyboard.

To be honest, I found HTCs predictive text, using a QWERTY keyboard much easier than the old T9 anyway. Ive found that the Swiftkey keyboard does a very good job too

its more of the qwerty keyboard i dont like on the touchscreens, although having only used one on both the iPhone and the Nokia N8 my judgement may be clouded if others are better

The stock Samsung keyboard on Android allows you four different types of keyboard ; two different types of handwriting input, a standard 3X4 keyboard and a standard qwerty keyboard. That's on the stock Samsung keyboard, on a phone that's over a year old.

ive had my N8 for over a year now (16 months to be precise) so i havent really bothered keeping up with newer phones, hence why reading most of the reviews i feel lost :lol:

Its the only large phone that I've felt really comfortable holding. The One X and the Galaxy were just a bit too big, but somehow the Sensation just felt "right". Android too, so you get to keep your phone keypad. However, its a good few months old now, so its a bit out of date.

I'd agree. I have the XE and couldn't imagine having a phone that was any bigger.

Another point for the OP to bear in mind is memory - hard drive or expandable? I've noticed HTC's latest line up of phones appear to have ditched the memory card and went for the hard drive option.

I'd agree. I have the XE and couldn't imagine having a phone that was any bigger.

Another point for the OP to bear in mind is memory - hard drive or expandable? I've noticed HTC's latest line up of phones appear to have ditched the memory card and went for the hard drive option.

All Android phones are going this way now IIRC.

All Android phones are going this way now IIRC.

It annoys me! One of the things I don't like about iPhones is the non removable battery and storage. It isn't for any realistic reasons, I just like it that way. Mobile phones are really going in a direction that I don't like at the moment. <_<

It annoys me! One of the things I don't like about iPhones is the non removable battery and storage. It isn't for any realistic reasons, I just like it that way. Mobile phones are really going in a direction that I don't like at the moment. <_<

I prefer expandable memory but I guess we're moving towards cloud storage so perhaps less of an issue but with smartphones having notoriously bad battery life not being able to simply swap battery when it's empty really affects how practical they can be.

My contract is out and I think I'm going to plump for the HTC OneX. I had the Sensation XE in my sights for quite some time, but I really like the look of this OneX. Although, the battery and microsim thing is quite annoying.

I think I might have to hold one in my hand first though, as the size is a bit up from my current HTC Desire. Tesco mobile are doing a cracking offer on it:

Free Phone, 750mins, Unltd Texts, 500MB net = £30p/m

I'm on Vodafone just now and their offers are absolute shite, so they'll be getting a swift GTF in the coming days. :)

I'm on Vodafone just now and their offers are absolute shite, so they'll be getting a swift GTF in the coming days. :)

Their signal is also poor. T-Mobile nearly always used to have a good 3g internet signal all the way on the train to Glasgow and in my house. I barely get 1 bar on Vodafone in the house and it flicks between 2g and 3g on the way into Glasgow. People told me T-Mobiles signal was more ropey than Vodafone's but I've not seen it!

Their signal is also poor. T-Mobile nearly always used to have a good 3g internet signal all the way on the train to Glasgow and in my house. I barely get 1 bar on Vodafone in the house and it flicks between 2g and 3g on the way into Glasgow. People told me T-Mobiles signal was more ropey than Vodafone's but I've not seen it!

My new house seems to be a black spot as I get little reception at home but out on the street seems to be fine....must be all that lead paint. :P

I've never had a signal problem with Vodafone before this though, i've never been with another network though...I feel like i'm about to cheat on my high-school sweet heart.

I think I might have to hold one in my hand first though, as the size is a bit up from my current HTC Desire. Tesco mobile are doing a cracking offer on it:

Free Phone, 750mins, Unltd Texts, 500MB net = £30p/m

Definitely worth doing. Some people seem to really like it, some really loathe it! I thought it was just too big for me.

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/blog/1350205/slideout_qwerty_google_nexus_in_the_works.html

Google may be working on another Nexus handset and, if patents filed with the US patents office are anything to go by, it might well have a slide-out Qwerty keyboard.

Everything is crossed...

People told me T-Mobiles signal was more ropey than Vodafone's but I've not seen it!

it used to be did it not until they went into the signal share with orange

quite often i see my phone displaying orange/T-Mobile as my network instead of simply Orange

it used to be did it not until they went into the signal share with orange

quite often i see my phone displaying orange/T-Mobile as my network instead of simply Orange

Never found it at all. I'm sure it used to be back in the day of one2one, but moved on since then and was fine. Nearly all other networks have a better 3g signal in my house, find it annoying.

Slightly disappointed in what Samsung announced. The screen is pentile which is an inferior pixel arrangement on the display instead of the standard RGB layout.

Some other things are good. The battery is a beast at 2100mAh, the phone is still thin, battery is still removable and it still has a microSD slot too. Samsung are hyping some of their software improvements and features but the screen is such a big part of the phone that it might be a showstopper especially with the HTC One X having an amazing RGB SuperLCD display, it might compare badly side by side.

I like the fact that the memory is expandable, I like the fact that the battery is removable as well - first impressions though, and I know it's only having looked at pictures, but I don't think it's a particularly good looking phone.

Can't wait to have a shot though.

Another annoying thing I just noticed, no physical camera button. I'm not a fan of the design either. It looks too glossy, I would've preferred a textured back like the S2. I think the thing I appreciate about the S2 design is the lip around the edge of the screen that means if you put it face down the screen isn't contacted.

I'm sure the processor, RAM and all that jazz will be class leading and I'll have to go have a look at one to see if the pentile screen ruins the phone. I'm sure most people won't even notice or know what the difference is but if I looked at it and saw fringed edges then it would annoy me and probably a deal breaker... although I'm not in the market for a new phone yet.

I might've been tempted if it was unbelievably good to sell my S2 and buy off contract but I'm not blown away yet. Looks like a Note 2 or Galaxy S4 for me and back to the never ending tech waiting game... (waiting for ivybridge laptops but I badly need to upgrade)

Archived