What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Arrival 8/10

Amy Adams is terrific talking to massive Calamari. Gripping and thought provoking, (though not for the wife who hated it).

Lego Batman 5/10

Meh. There are about 4 jokes in the entire film but they get retold loads of different ways. A fun enough way to waste an afternoon but nowhere near as good as I'd hoped. Best line "No, Bruce Wayne lives in Batman's attic". 

(34, 35, 36)

20th Century Burds - 7/10

Good film this, about growing up in the 70s and that

Trolls - 8/10

Really sweet, LOL @ one of the Trolls who has a vocoder voice and when he's captured he sort of sings "oh nooooooOOOooooo". Mild peril family viewing

The Masque of the Red Death - 7/10

Vincent Price plays a satanist prince in a 60s adaption of Poe, so it has a lot going for it already. Yeah this is a bit campy and fun but it has a real malevolent and evil side to it that makes the bad stuff so much worse imo! Basically Price hears that Red Death is coming and he thinks that he's there for him (in a good way) so he ramps up his arsehole side, terrorising villagers, making his friends act like animals, sexually luring Jane Asher to the dark side. Made on a shoestring (the sets were literally nicked from Becket) but sort of fantastic, maybe let down by a slow middle and perhaps not actually being about much other than a series of dramatic set-pieces (suppose you could say Red Scare, class, gender, whatever, I don't buy it). Love the ending, proper OTT

I wasted about 10 minutes watching what appeared to be a romcom about bowling before I realised Kodi had their Split's mixed up.

I got caught with that one as well but decided to stick with it .
I wouldn't recommend it.

(37)

Tower 6.5/10

Doco about one of America's first mass mentalists, the guy who climbed to the top of a tower and shot loads of people, quite imaginative stylings jumping between rotorscope, interviews and contemporary footage. The story was probably a bit slight to eke out to 90 mins but well made anyway

Moonlight - The second act was very good, the first act was decent and the third act was underwhelming. Was pleased to find it was an interesting coming of age story rather than an inferior film version of The Wire. Worth a watch. 7.5/10

The Maltese Falcon - the best part of 300 people turn up at the GFT at 10:30 on a Thursday morning to watch brilliant performances from all involved.

Excellent introductory speech by one of the GFT directors before the screening showing a great depth of knowledge and some very funny anecdotes.

This'll probably not go down well as it seems to have been met with universal acclaim on here and beyond but I watched Hacksaw Ridge and didn't find it to be very good. The first battle scene was awesome and I had high hopes that the second half would be far better than the trite, melodramatic and predictable first half. Unfortunately it was pretty much the same thing over and over and the initial punch was gone. 6.5/10

Edited by The OP