What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Goodfellas is one of my favorite movies as well, would have loved to have seen it on the big screen.

"As far back as i could remember, i always wanted to be a gangster.."

On another note, i picked up The Bourne Identity and The Bourne Supremacy on dvd for a quid each from Poundland.

Give them both 7/10, decent films.  Always takes me years to get around to watching movies.

On 1/22/2017 at 22:45, DeeTillEhDeh said:

We clearly watched different films.

It's funny how folk can just take against some films. Your reaction to it is like my reaction to Baz Luhrmann or David O. Russell films. I bought into La La Land as I was a big fan of Whiplash and it's clear how important music is to the director and his music guy (they were in a bad together before dropping out of uni to make films). He plans every shot to the note and it feels like carefully crafted labour of love - a real bit of quality. I totally accept some folk could watch it, see some twats jumping about on cars singing and think "not for me thanks". 

10 Cloverfield Lane.

I can't decided if I liked this or hated it. John Goodman plays a survivalist type who abducts/rescues a girl who has crashed off the road near his underground bunker. They're locked in the bunker along with some local thicko guy on the premise there has been some kind of enemy attack meaning if they left they would die.

The first hour and a half built the tension slowly in between bits where nothing much happened, as you might expect I suppose. Then for the last fifteen minutes all kinds of crazy unexpected shit starts happening which totally spoiled it for me. I'd have preferred it had continued as it was so i'll give it....5/10.

Mystery Train - Earlier Jim Jarmusch indie pic, quite quirky, especially the opening story.  3 different vignettes based around a hotel in Memphis.  All stories tie into each other quite cleverly around 2/3 of the way through.  Recommended.

James White - Classic tale of immature guy being forced to grow up due to circumstances in his life he can't control.  The first half of the film was entertaining with the partying/fighting then it gets a bit serious towards the end.  Short film at around 90 mins so worth a watch.

Arrival - Brutal.  Don't watch it.

Manchester By The Sea - Best new film I've watched in a long time.  Casey Affleck really nails that world weary loner persona and the setting of the film draws you into to the ennui of provincial Massachusetts.  An borderline alcoholic Affleck who like a fight when he has a skinful takes custody of his nephew after his brother dies which he's reluctant to do due to reasons that are explained throughout the film.  Great performance from him and the guy that plays his nephew who he ends up having a brotherly relationship with.  Highly recommended although a lot of people definitely won't like it.

Edited by Kool Keith

T2 Trainspotting

I loved it but I have a lot of emotional attachment to it so my perception of it could be very different to some of the whippersnappers on here. Probably has something for everyone though as there are lots of funny scenes that need no prior knowledge of the characters. There's some scenes of great acting (Renton's updated Choose Life speech in the restaurant of Harvey Nic's), a bit of terror (big nods to Terminator and The Shining as Begbie hunts someone), some really joyful stuff (Radio GaGa scene) but sad too. Missus said she wanted to go straight back in and watch it again and I felt the same as there's so much to take in. Felt like I'd been through the wringer afterwards. 

1 hour ago, killiepiemuncher said:

T2 Trainspotting 10/10

Perfect. I watch a lot of films at the cinema and this is the best I've seen in a long time.
Danny Boyle is a genius and with twenty years of experience has made one of the best sequels ever.

10/10 

Loved it maybe even better than the first.if there is a minor sleight it is jonny Miller lets his accent slip a few times

26 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:

La La Land....pish 0/10
The place beyond the pines....tremendous....Ryan Gosling is on of my favourite actors....10/10

Yeah, Gosling is great. The Nice Guys was one of my favourite films of 2016 and he was perfect for that role.