What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Spiral - a copycat serial killer begins murdering cops in a manner similar to Jigsaw's barbaric games of endurance.

If you've ever fancied seeing Chris Rock's stand-up persona play the lead in a movie, good news. He not only stars in this, but exec-produced and clearly had a big hand in his character's dialogue. To be fair, it's probably his best film performance, although there are still plenty of cringey moments where it's painfully obvious that he doesn't have a lot of range.

This entry takes a tonal step back towards one of the series' inspirations, Se7en, without ever being in the same league, weight, or ballpark. The script's full of genre clichés, dodgy performances, and goes back to the original's gradual descent into OTT hysteria. The torture and gore are almost meaningless by this point, and this is also one of those films where the identity of the bad guy is utterly transparent by the halfway point. But yet...it's kind of stupidly entertaining, and made me realise that I probably found the previous films surprisingly tolerable because I watched all but the first at home; I don't think they're worth making an effort to see in the cinema.

But, as I say, any enjoyment value to be gleaned from this will depend entirely on how much you enjoy a tossed salad. Personally, I prefer syrup.

1 hour ago, Ira Gaines said:

I thought Rock was hilariously bad tbh. Pulled so many generic cop tropes out.

True, but if you look back to films like that Lethal Weapon one, he was so stiff it was like he'd never acted before. He's much better when he's allowed to be "himself".

Oh shit, I forgot about CB4. That's probably his best performance. Once again, not really acting, as such.

Anyway, Raiders of the Lost Ark just popped up on the telly, so I thought I'd watch the first five minutes and it's turned into an hour. No matter how favourably you remember that film, it's always better than you remembered.

27 minutes ago, Ira Gaines said:

CB4 is a fabulous movie. Rock is actually really good in Fargo too. I think he just completely misjudged Spiral.

Terrible acting is a hallmark of the series TBH. Cary Elwes and Danny Glover were awful in the original.

The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It

Good sequel. Again following a case that famous paranormal investigators "The Warren's" were part of. They are out to save a man on Death Row who seemingly killed someone while under demonic possession. While the film is not filled with loads of scares, the story ( based on true events) is strong and kept my interest throughout.

8/10

Spiral 4/10

Was hoping for something similar to the original two Saw films but it just recycled the other films in the series. Obvious what the twist was after about 20 mins. 

Predators 1/10

Predator is one of my favourite movies and although the sequel had some harsh critics, i quite enjoyed it. This however is fucking terrible. I remember going to the cinema to see this and thinking it wasnt great but having caught it last night on tv, its worse than i originally gave it credit for. How it made it on to the big screen is a mystery. Not one redeeming feature in this whatsoever. Its actually got me slightly angry that its dragging down the 80s classic. Please stop making these films

Cape Fear. Didn’t realise they’d ripped off the Simpson’s so much, but still a good movie. De Niro at his imperious, villainous best.

4 hours ago, Twinkle said:

Predators 1/10

Predator is one of my favourite movies and although the sequel had some harsh critics, i quite enjoyed it. This however is fucking terrible. I remember going to the cinema to see this and thinking it wasnt great but having caught it last night on tv, its worse than i originally gave it credit for. How it made it on to the big screen is a mystery. Not one redeeming feature in this whatsoever. Its actually got me slightly angry that its dragging down the 80s classic. Please stop making these films

If you think Predators is bad, wait 'til you see The Predator!  :lol:

Anyway, watching Planet of the Apes on the telly, and I'd forgotten quite what an arch c**t Charlton Heston's protagonist is. Not sure if that was the idea, or if audiences in the Sixties were supposed to empathise with him.

On 28/05/2021 at 11:05, Detournement said:

It's Judas and the Black Messiah. 

"Black Messiah" is a phrase from a FBI memo stating that their top priority was preventing a black political leader rising up prominence who could lead an uprising. Not long after that MLK, Malcolm X, Fred Hampton and George Jackson were all killed and most of the Black Panther leadership in prison or exile. 

So it was appolgies! 

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

If you think Predators is bad, wait 'til you see The Predator!  :lol:

Ive just realised that it was in fact The Predator that i watched. Boyd Holbrook etc in the cast. I forgot Predators was actually Adrian Brody and while it wasnt that good, its still miles better than The Predator

Vertical Limit. Silly but entertaining action with some nice visuals for the time. 6/10

Now this type of movie doesn't usually place realism at the top of its priorities, but  can we just take a minute to marvel at this hilarious nonsense scene which may have tempted some to walk out of the cinema at the time.

Aliens 10/10

One of those movies that once its on, you need to finish it. Also one that is arguably better than the original

Edited by Twinkle