What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Rugster

Buried ( 2010 )

It's a major credit to the makers of this movie and Ryan Reynolds that this remains a gripping movie all the way through even though it is pretty much entirely set in a small coffin with one man. The movie wasn't as claustrophobic as I thought it was going to be, but they make up for that with the constant feeling of hopelessness that made up much of the movie. Reynolds is brilliant as a guy who is in an incredibly desperate situation.

8/10

Worst. Ending. Ever.

I guess this is as good a thread as any to ask this in, I need a film villain who's character was either a pilot, doctor(medical), mechanic or a preacher.

I was thinking either Gary Oldman in Lost in Space for doctor or the pilot in Con Air, would love to hear your suggestions.

Doctor Octopus or Dr Evil from Austin Powers? Pushing it I know but Darth Vadar was a pilot. Billy Bob Thornton in U Turn for your mechanic. Ive drawn a complete blank on your preacher.

Doctor Octopus or Dr Evil from Austin Powers? Pushing it I know but Darth Vadar was a pilot. Billy Bob Thornton in U Turn for your mechanic. Ive drawn a complete blank on your preacher.

I was actually about to delete the post because it doesn't matter. It was for a fantasy villain draft I was doing and I picked the pilot from Con Air last night. Couldn't pick Vader because he was taken. Neither Evil or Octopus were medical doctors. You had to select a person for someone else's team for the sixth pick and the person I got's theme was like the crew from Serenity.

Which brings me to;

Serenity.

I watched this to familarise myself with the cast for the pick, it was alright. Can't help but think that if I'd watched the tv show Firefly before then it might've been a lot better. Some decent scenes and didn't see the death coming.

6/10, solid flick but probably won't watch it again.

I guess this is as good a thread as any to ask this in, I need a film villain who's character was either a pilot, doctor(medical), mechanic or a preacher.

I was thinking either Gary Oldman in Lost in Space for doctor or the pilot in Con Air, would love to hear your suggestions.

Poltergeist II gets you your Preacher villain

Edit: and Robert Mitchum in Night of the Hunter

Edited by KnightswoodBear

Carlito's Way (1993)

How to do a gangster film, without going overboard, and actually having characters that you care enough to form an opinion of them! Pacino and Penn were great, and this is just a brilliant film.

I thought about dropping it a point as I didn't feel I could give out four perfect scores in 1993 (Kalifornia, Philadelphia and True Romance), but I just have to. Definitely Pacino's best film!

10/10

I love Sean Penn in that. He's such a slimey wee scrote.

127 Hours ( 2010 )

Not sure I'd agree that James Franco is something special in this one. Not nearly as engaging as I was expecting. It was Danny Boyle's work that made me enjoy this much more than I thought I would. Some of the stuff here was great, with the bit with Franco's character wanting a drink of juice from his motor being the real highlight. Much like Buried from last night, there was a feeling of desperation, but knowing how it would turn out didn't really help the cause as far as that went. What this ended up as was a decent enough way to spend 90 minutes.

7/10

Paranormal Activity 2 ( 2010 )

Given that the first movie tried to throw the scares from the word go, the second one really shouldn't have gone for the slow build approach as it just completely lowers the expectations. In the first movie, when that faint rumble sounded, you knew something bad could happen. This time, all you can think is "what pesky thing can the ghost get up to this time? move a plate?". It takes untill the last 30 minutes of this one to finally actually make any sort of impact. From that point on, it's decent, but it takes far too long to get there.

4/10

Runaway jury 8/10

Good courtroom drama focusing mainly on the selection and control of the jury. Great cast, some good performances, nice twist, a few action scenes. Don't really want to go into the plot as will be spoilers but I would definitely recommend watching it.

I seen that ages ago but I thought it was a great film, I've tried to get it on dvd but couldn't find it anywhere

Runaway jury 8/10

Good courtroom drama focusing mainly on the selection and control of the jury. Great cast, some good performances, nice twist, a few action scenes. Don't really want to go into the plot as will be spoilers but I would definitely recommend watching it.

I seen that ages ago but I thought it was a great film, I've tried to get it on dvd but couldn't find it anywhere

Meatball Mchine 8/10

Japanese splattergore movie about aliens which control human beings by turning them into biomechanical weapons and battle against each other, plenty of splatter and the usual weird Japanese humour.

Watched Harry Brown last night.

It's not bad, a sort of more understated, subtle version of Death Wish. Caine is in good form, but the rest of the cast bring very little to the movie. Especially 'Plan B' whose character is as clichéd as they come.

Reasonable 6/10

The Social Network really will be worth the inevitable Oscars that it's gonna get. I've watched it a couple of times since the first time and it's actually grown on me. Super movie. It's a travesty that Andrew Garfield was looked over for a nomination.

the count of monte cristo part 2.

The single best acting performance i have ever seen from gerrard depardue in this 4 part, each 1h30, film. An almost perfect film in everyway and i've watched it about 5 times. :lol:

10/10

The Social Network really will be worth the inevitable Oscars that it's gonna get. I've watched it a couple of times since the first time and it's actually grown on me. Super movie. It's a travesty that Andrew Garfield was looked over for a nomination.

It is a brilliant movie, however Justin Tmberlake pissed me off in it, dont know why though, cause tbh his acting was pretty good.